Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On State education board seeks $656 million funding increase

Comments

Armored_One 9 months, 1 week ago

I know it would be a truly unique idea, at least in the last 30 years, but how about we actually teach students? Not coddle, coax and cajole them, but teach them.

Either turn in your school work or fail. It's that simple. No having until the end of the quarter to turn in assignments from the first week.

How about we stop awarding students for simply breathing and actually reward success? If last place gets just as much recognition and praise as first place, what is the freaking point of competing in the first place?

If that requires more funding, and more buildings and more teachers, then by all means, jack my blasted taxes up. Just don't do it to defend stupid arse nonsense like thumbing your nose at the courts and refusing to do what is constitutionally required.

Mr. Dave is right. It's how the money is spent, but let me clue you, Mr. Dave. You can't pay 150 bucks in bills if you only have 75 in your pocket. Something has to give somewhere, and it comes in the form of fewer school and fewer teachers. Yes, there are federal programs that are throwing monkey wrenches around like their are made from Styrofoam, but why in the name of all that is good would you gleefully grab up a few truckloads of socket wrenches and start pitching them into the machinery? It's not going to help.

Look up the term sabotage. Find it's beginnings in modern speech. The only difference is no one is throwing a physical shoe. Yet.

JayhawkFan1985 9 months, 1 week ago

I wish Dave trabert and his ilk understood that nobody likes pays taxes. We all agree that as individuals, it would be better to keep our hard earned money. Unfortunately, we don't live in isolation from one another. We live in an interdependent society. A society that relies on taxes to provide services to its citizens that its citizens expect to have. Is there waste ,fraud and abuse? Probably, but that is hardly the point. We expect roads. We expect public education. We expect law enforcement. Humans are involved in providing these things and our governmental system was designed to be inefficient to limit governmental power. Low tax societies always end up like Afganistan, Mexico, and North Korea. Guess what? I don't want to live in Afganistan, Mexico or North Korea. If Dave finds their low tax, lower service, truly corrupt approaches more appealing, then perhaps he should live there instead of here. Food for thought.

oldexbeat 9 months, 1 week ago

gee, Dave is quoting his own website -- here's the whois for kansasopengov.org

Domain Name:KANSASOPENGOV.ORG Created On:05-Mar-2009 20:34:58 UTC Last Updated On:01-Mar-2012 15:59:05 UTC Expiration Date:05-Mar-2014 20:34:58 UTC

Registrant Name:Dave Trabert Registrant Street1:250 N. Water St. Registrant Street2:Suite 216 Registrant Street3: Registrant City:Wichita Registrant State/Province:KS Registrant Postal Code:67202 Registrant Country:US Registrant Phone:+1.3166340218

what a joke, but then the whole basket of ALEC, Kansas Policy Institute, Koch Brothers LLC -- all one group, quoting each other. Funny but dumb;

purplesage 9 months, 1 week ago

That $3852 is pretty misleading in many situations. The figure, with low-enrollment weighting, LOB and other source of revenue is closer to $10K in many districts.

JohnSickels 9 months, 1 week ago

I'm still waiting for Dave Trabert and the Koch Brothers' libertarian, market-based solution for people with developmental disabilities and severe cognitive issues.

JohnSickels 9 months, 1 week ago

Brownback and the legislature know damn well that the Court will rule against them. They don't care.

I predict that they will simply ignore the court order, setting the state for the worst constitutional crisis in Kansas since the Civil War.

Brownback and the GOP leaders are radical revolutionaries bent on destroying state government and privatizing as many functions as possible.

toe 9 months, 1 week ago

Government teachers have an agenda to subjugate the populous. The new royalty, in positions of patronage to one party. They indoctrinate, not educate, and hate anyone that can think and do for themselves. They do not want more money, they want all the money. They want to retire at 50 and spend the next 40 years of their lives living on the taxpayer in their palatial homes in exclusive communities of like minded takers. The day is coming, and soon, that teaching will be relegated to intelligent machines and the government teacher ruling class will fall.

Richard Heckler 9 months, 1 week ago

"“I would love to see us get to where we can spend this kind of money on schools, but I don't think we can do it in one fell swoop,” Republican board member Ken Willard of Hutchinson said. “I'm reluctant to vote for this because it represents a humongous tax increase.”

How in the world can it create a large tax increase? Where did the money go?

Larry Moss 9 months, 1 week ago

To large of a percentage of the State budget already goes to public education, an unreasonable amount.

The State constitution needs to be changed so that elected officials set education spending and not the courts. It seems part of the process for lawmakers to create a budget and set spending, only to immediately look out the window to see what levels the court will set.

We might as well just ask the court to handle all of the budget process.

Larrytown 9 months, 1 week ago

IMO....the only thing surprising about the board vote was that it wasn't 10-0. OKAY...maybe not...given the politics of the State of Kansas....Ken Willard (for example).

With that being said, I keep saying over and over again how I can't wait for the KS Supreme Court decision on the school funding. Given that two studies (I believe that is the case) have shown that the schools are underfunded...I see another decision (thinking it will happen early next year) in favor of the plantiff. Probably be unaminous again.

Can't wait for Brownback and Co. response! They are going to have a real mess (financially/politically) on their hands come early 2014.

Centerville 9 months, 1 week ago

I wish it was only 3.5%. We're spending 70% of our state budget on public education. And we've learned that reading isn't expected until after the fourth grade.

Tracy Rogers 9 months, 1 week ago

In 1980 we spent 3.5% of our income on public education. Right now we're spending 3.1% of our income on public education.

Dave Trabert 9 months, 1 week ago

To add a little more perspective that KSDE ignores, total taxpayer support of public education set a new record in 2012 at $5.771 billion and Dale Dennis says another new record was set in 2013 at an estimated $5.816 billion...or $12,738 per-pupil. If pressed, KSDE will admit that state funding of public education was $6,983 per-pupil in 2012. Details are at http://www.ksde.org/Portals/0/School%20Finance/data_warehouse/total_expenditures/d0Stateexp.pdf. The 2013 data was sent to us via email by Dale Dennis and is summarized at http://www.kansaspolicy.org/ResearchCenters/Education/EducationDataWarehouse/d97240.aspx?type=view

The state has dramatically changed how schools are funded over the years...and in such manner that invalidates simple comparisons of Base State Aid. Data provided by KSDE in Open Record Requests is summarized at http://www.kansaspolicy.org/ResearchCenters/Education/EducationDataWarehouse/d93221.aspx?type=view and shows how funding has changed since 1998. KPERS and Bond & Interest are extracted and shown separately.

Schools always provided service for special education, bi-lingual, At Risk, etc. but funding for those services once were included in Base State Aid. In 1998, schools received $3,670 per-pupil in Base and $178 for everything else (plus KPERS and Bond). In 2012, schools received $3,780 in Base and $2,176 for everything else (plus KPERS and Bond). So not counting KPERS and Bond, state aid per-pupil increased 55%...from $3,848 to $5,956.

The State Board of Education and KSDE also ignore the fact that student achievement on independent national tests are relatively unchanged since 1998 despite billions more in funding. http://www.kansaspolicy.org/ResearchCenters/Education/EducationDataWarehouse/d93220.aspx?type=view Despite a real (inflation-adjusted) increase in per-pupil spending of 35%, test scores are unchanged. The same applies to ACT scores...virtually unchanged.

It costs a lot of money fund schools but it's how the money is spent that matters...not how much.

jack22 9 months, 1 week ago

Heck, they should just add in another ten million and make it a nice round number.

onemansopinion 9 months, 1 week ago

An educated population IS pro-growth and pro-business. Too bad the governor and those that make up the majority of the legislature didn't learn that lesson in school.

Pheps 9 months, 1 week ago

Currently $3,852 a student? What's the return on this investment? Let's say when the student gets to age 30. What are the students making on average? 20k a year? 30k?

To this point in time, more people are on government assistant than are working to fund the people on assistance. So whatever the investment has been in the past, is investing more money going to get a better return so that the working class do not have to fund as many nonworking?

Beth Bird 9 months, 1 week ago

I do not want to answer questions to read a news article.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.