Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Simons' Saturday Column: How will Obama react to growing challenges, criticism?

Comments

weiser 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Watch Fox News (everyone else is)

yourworstnightmare 9 months, 2 weeks ago

The GOP have lost all credibility in criticizing Obama, similar to the boy who cried wolf.

Alyosha 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Amazing that a newspaper publisher can be so uninformed. Aren't newspapers supposed to inform the public? Does Mr. Simon not read the news?

For instance, it has been roundly disproven that the IRS targeted a wide swath of groups, not just conservatives. The real scandal there is how Republicans in Congress directed the IRS only to investigate the treatment of conservative groups — creating a scandal where there was none. The IRS treated progressive groups the same.

This is what's wrong with our country: partisans so blinded by emotion that they can't see reality. Mr. Simons' column should be exhibit A in how so-called conservatives have lost their ability to think.

jayhawklawrence 9 months, 2 weeks ago

There are some conservative thinkers who believe they have not done a good enough job of selling their ideas and some of these people do have something to offer. The problem arises when they support candidates that should not be in politics because they are simply not qualified for the jobs they pursue.

We live in a time when we have great challenges and we need to bring the best and brightest together in order to find solutions. These people come from both the liberal and conservative side of the aisle. I am at a loss to understand why free and bright men and women submit to a narrow ideology to find the solutions when history has shown us that God works through science just as certainly as faith to show us a light in the midst of darkness.

We are blessed to live in this great land. But when people of conscience allow the kind of selfish political ideologies that promote the rich at the expense of everyone else, I cannot understand the moral justification for this kind of legislation.

Romney never attempted to explain it. Neither did Ryan.

Dolph is welcome to try and I would really like to hear the justification for the policies of Brownback and the right wing. I would very much like to hear the justification for cutting or limiting 80 million Americans from receiving proper health care and shipping 11 million jobs to China and India. I would really like to hear why companies like Apple Computer and Big Oil companies are not required to pay taxes in the way that most Americans pay taxes. In some cases, the largest corporations have paid almost no taxes.

I would really like to know why we are creating a Plutocracy in America and people like Romney are promoting the end to the inheritance tax at a time when most of the country's wealth is being consolidated in the bank accounts of the upper 1-2% who don't pay the same percentage of tax as most Americans.

I would really like Dolph to explain that to me so that I can understand it a little better.

This is what I call specifics. Dolph makes a lot of general statements and like all Republicans, does not get into the specifics. There is a reason for that. It is because they fear what most Americans will think if they are actually given the facts and asked to decide. It is also because they do not respect average Americans.

They think we want to get something for nothing. It is a general opinion of the wealthy and it is their justification for legislation which is immoral and unfair. I recently heard a billionaire say that 39% of the American people don't want to work for a living.

Do you believe that or does it make you angry?

Trumbull 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I think all of this talk of compromise is wrong. Compromise can often lead to a bad result because it waters things down. It is like taking 1/2 of an aspirin when maybe 2 are called for. This is ineffective.

We need to build consensus, the same kind that made this country great. Something like the Hoover Dam, the Erie canal, the transcontinental RR, the US Interstate Highway System. These things that made our country great now seem like relics of a bygone era.

Transforming our energy systems to renewables could have been such an initiative, and started long ago. This could be the next great thing we can lead the world in. But what are we doing? Sitting on our butts. Outsourcing jobs. Devising complex financial derivative schemes.

President Obama is doing better than any one could do in his position. And I think he is an excellent leader. Congress is the problem.

James Minor 9 months, 2 weeks ago

"Easy sailing his first four years of the presidency?" The first four years dealt with an unexpected financial meltdown, Republicans willing to let the country fall into a depression unless they got credit for the success, wars in the middle east, high unemployment rate - the list goes on. Given the tasks America handed him and the results, he has done a good job! The past eight years the choices for President have been Obama, McCain and Romney. The state of the union would have been in a depression if McCain or Romney were given the opportunity. America too many times looks a gift horse in the mouth. Blaming Obama for the problems he inherited and not realizing that it takes time to correct the problems of the past, is sad!

We are having a hard time finding quality people in politics today and the people that are the best seem to be under incredible pressure to compromise in ways that are probably not going to be popular with the American people.

The system is failing us because the part of politics that goes under the heading of "Human Resources Department", stinks.

It is a mistake to be loyal to a particular political party because they do their best to simply brainwash people with misleading information and an agenda that is not what most Americans need or want.

begin60 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Obama is just a puppet for corporation and business interests. It would be wonderful to have a great black civil rights president; however, it's obvious that's not what we have. On the face of it, Obama isn't Clarence Thomas, but he is responsible for more deaths--including those of innocent civilians and their children. Ralph Nader-- usually a voice of integrity-- claims Obama is the biggest con man we've ever had in the White House. Obama has continued wholesale George W.'s Bush's trailblazing path toward a militarized, totalitarian state.

Richard Heckler 9 months, 2 weeks ago

After considering the above posts we now have a peek at why the economy is still in the tank.

Yet even the alleged brightest minds seem to believe that after 20 years of supply side economics all can be repaired in about 7 years with 20 million back to full time employment at $70,000 or more.

Which begs the question.

Did Republicans Deliberately Crash The Economy? http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/09/did-republicans-deliberately-crash-us-economy

The right wing always blames the press, just as Nixon did, because the press is always hanging around and reporting what they see and hear.

Fox News ratings have plunged because Americans can eventually figure out who the liars are.

Dolph mentions Romney as if he was cheated out of the election. Romney lost because he was no better than a crook flipping business and shipping jobs to China. He sealed his doom when he chose Ryan as his VP, another guy that is no better than a crook.

--- 1. The Reagan/Bush Savings and Home Loan Heist http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

Move Your Money http://moveyourmoneyproject.org/

--- 2. Wall Street Home Loan Bank Fraud on Consumers under Bush/Cheney sent the economy out the window costing taxpayers many many more trillions. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

Move Your Money http://moveyourmoneyproject.org/

--- 3. Only 3 financial institutions were at risk in spite of what Americans were told yet cost taxpayers another trillion $$$ or two. http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

Thus far Obama has not committed the degree of criminal looking actions that the previous 3 repub administrations have. Then there is Nixon and Watregate another major s=domestic spying adventure.

--- Bush/Reagan Iran – Contra Secret Weapons Sale http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/walsh/execsum.htm http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/24/spy.network.probe/index.html

--- Did it ever stop? http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/4120/we_arm_the_world/ http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0208-05.htm

--- Nixon's Watergate http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/watergate/index.html

Carol Bowen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

This Saturday column is melodramatic and exaggerated. The only fact I see is that Obama is the president.

Ray Parker 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Obama reacting? In continuing stalls, stonewalls, and misdirections, the military is now “disappearing” high ranking officers that might be interviewed in the ongoing investigation of the Benghazi scandal and cover-up. WHAT are they hiding?

Wiley Gets Smarter

Wiley Gets Smarter by parkay

fiddleback 9 months, 2 weeks ago

"During the first four years of his presidency, Obama enjoyed relatively easy sailing."

What?? Talk about a full stop--it took me several minutes of eye-rolling before I could even finish reading this tripe.

So Obama inherited an economy in free fall, and had a minority party that announced its intent to obstruct him without exception from day one, even his right-of-center health care overhaul with the individual mandate that was dreamt up at the Heritage Foundation, of all places. Yeah, really smooth sailing, Dolph.

I find the Bush and Obama presidencies comparable on many levels, but most of all in terms of how derangement syndrome completely overtakes their most emotional critics, also infecting those who fancy themselves more thoughtful like Dolph.

Reality check: all these derangement-inflated scandals going back to Fast and Furious, Benghazi, the IRS political profiling, the AP phone taps, the ongoing NSA surveillance programs-- even lumped together, these missteps do not even begin to compare in scale to the mammoth cost in lives and money of a misguided invasion and totally mismanaged occupation of Iraq. Anyone who suggests otherwise is showing his true partisan blindness and hypocrisy.

homechanger 9 months, 2 weeks ago

He will probably are another 100 million dollar trip somewhere. Or delay implementing the disaster called the affordable care act until after the mid term elections. The same ignorant people who worship him now will continue with their ignorance.

smileydog 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Obama will not have to react to criticism....he has the press in his hip pocket. He will leave on a high note maybe even retain another term because the press will say we like what he does, always. He took away our 4th Amendment rights, and nobody cares. I wonder what other Amendments he'll do away with or alter to suit his agenda?

We get the same doom and gloom from Dolph and then you turn the page and see an article by the AP, "US economy appears surprisingly healthy".

If all Obama accomplishes is to oversee the return of our economy from utter devastation and to stop the same kind of fanaticism that is driving the Brownback administration, then I will call it a successful 8 years.

The disappointment I have is the sense that no one in politics today has the answers to many of the most critical challenges facing Americans today and no one that wants to try to fix some of these problems has a chance of getting any cooperation at all.

What I would prefer from columnists like Dolph is to search for solutions instead of feeding on criticism. Complaining all the time is not a sign of an elevated mind.

Armstrong 9 months, 2 weeks ago

My theory is if Barry does nothing ( for whatever reason ) that's a much better path then trying to implement more of a destructive agenda in the name of "fairness"

seebarginn 9 months, 2 weeks ago

He's responding just fine, by doing his job and not trying to please the likes of Dolph Simons, Krauthammer, and the usual hateful suspects on these LJW message boards.

Barack Obama has made efforts throughout both his terms to work with the GOP in good faith. Despite their misbehavior, he's accomplished many positive things, especially the Affordable Health Care Act, whose rejection by the Kansas political leadership only proves its worth.

The writer of this editorial is dishonest and makes an argument in bad faith because he would not be satisfied with any response the President makes. His problem is with the President himself, and it's entirely personal.

The best thing Barry can do for the country is nothing, I mean literally nothing.

cheeseburger 9 months, 2 weeks ago

'He is America’s first African American president'

Uh, to be more accurate, he is a mulatto, or America's first biracial president.

Why do we focus more attention on one race of a mulatto than we do the other? As much as he might not care to admit it, he is 1/2 white.

yourworstnightmare 9 months, 2 weeks ago

More mindless and knee jerk criticism of Obama. I am reminded of chicken little or the boy who cried wolf.

If Obama ever does anything truly worthy of widespread criticism, who would know it or see it through this smog of mindless attack?

It has been the GOP strategy to criticize Obama for everything and to use their elected offices to simply impede everything. They are sticking to it.

Obama will be fine. He will continue to move the country in the right direction despite this hail of mindless GOP attacks and criticism.

The GOP have lost credibility with most Americans when it comes to criticism of Obama. They are now just playing to their insane 20% base. Not a winning strategy. Just ask millionaire Willard Romney.

How will Obama act to growing challenges, criticism ? I'm guessing the same way as the last 4 years. A) Blame someone else. B) Blame republicans. C) Blame Bush.

jafs 9 months, 2 weeks ago

The president is not a king. Our system gives Congress a lot of power.

The D did not have a filibuster proof majority in Congress for very long.

Many of the criticisms cited here are simply not true, and the ones that are would probably have applied to many other presidents, who have routinely used the NSA in this way, for example. I'm not saying that's a good thing, in fact I have a problem with it. But, to use that to criticize Obama as if he's somehow uniquely terrible because of it isn't warranted.

The IRS didn't "deny" any of the targeted applications, they were simply delayed.

Does anybody really believe that only Obama and the D want to maintain or expand their power politically? And, lame duck presidents, as noted, generally face a drop in popularity, and when freed from the necessity of campaigning for re-election, do more of what they want to do without worrying about that.

I'm all for reasonable criticism of all politicians, including Obama, but this attempt to make him look much worse than he is, and somehow unique, when he is simply a politician, acting very similarly to many others, doesn't make any sense to me.

boiled 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Good column, although I could've for the most part predicted this all in 2008. The important thing to the low-information voter that was largely responsible for his win and second win, of course along with an adoring media, is they can tell their kids, grand kids and great grand kids, "I voted for the first black president". I've had people say this to me, and still, I remain unmoved and unimpressed by this sentiment. In summary, Obama has been an unmitigated disaster to this nation---and his actions will have long lasting outcomes.

Pheps 9 months, 2 weeks ago

The President is not responsible for anything wrong in the country. How could he be responsible? He is a figurehead.

billybob1 9 months, 2 weeks ago

The same way Dolph reacts ... by ignoring it all.

scott3460 9 months, 2 weeks ago

and with his party controlling both the House and Senate in his first two years in the White House, he could get about any legislation he wanted.

Repeating for years does not make it true.

Editorials which are not built upon lies have a chance of being convincing.

Those which are not do not, as is proven Saturday after Saturday.

weiser 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I hope he is out off office before it is too late

Commenting has been disabled for this item.