Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Archery center hits the bull’s-eye

Comments

fragment 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Actually, he's shooting the bow correctly. It's far easier to get a clean release with all 3 fingers under the arrow. It is the US Archery (the USOC-sponsored target archery organization) standard for teaching new shooters.

As far as the location of the arm guard, you would need to see the brace height of the bow (the string at rest) in order to know how it is correctly or incorrectly positioned.

The gents at Overton's are qualified instructors and excellent shooters. They have an extensive knowledge of the sport and teach using the latest techniques. Attending classes and receiving coaching there is probably the best way for a local to get quality instruction to enter the sport successfully.

I started shooting with very similar form in the same program about 16 years ago. I've since gone on to be a member of the US Junior World Archery Team and win gold medals in international competition. JOAD is a excellent program that originated for youths, but has been expanded in recent years to accept adults as well.

I would encourage anyone interested in archery to check out the program and the archery center.

Mark English 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah let's all put that kid down for going out and having a good time. Seriously? This isn't what I expect from fellow citizens of Lawrence. Leave it alone.

50YearResident 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Looking at the picture, it looks like an incorrect hold of the arrow and bowstring. What do others think? No bulls eye there with that shot.

Chris Golledge 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Cool, and I should not critique, but the lefty (or at least left-eye dominate person) in the photo should have the knock between his index and middle finger. I'd slide the armguard up a bit to the fat part of the forearm as well; that is the most likely spot to get hit by the string.

Tammy Copp-Barta 9 months, 2 weeks ago

You need to come check them out! They are great! Lots of selection also if you're looking to purchase archery equipment and they also can do birthday parties and scout events. Liz, Bill, Jude and John are great to work with!! Our daughter has been shooting since March and loves it!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.