Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Egypt's second revolution in two years touches KU faculty, students with ties to the country

Comments

George_Braziller 1 year, 5 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 5 months ago

You sure do provide some interesting links. However, you should provide a disclaimer, something along the line that readers should wear their tin foil hats prior to reading. Or at least watch that commercial on T.V., you know the one, where the woman says "you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true". Where did you read that? "On the internet".

Anyway, thanks for the chuckle.

"The President ordered 15,000 Russian troops ... " To do what, invade Mars?

Any statement that begins "the President (of the U.S.) orders 15,000 Russian troops" is foolish on it's face.

Pheps, I suggest you google your source, European Union Times and read the critiques by others of your source. I'll save you the trouble, it's called racist, skinhead, BS, etc. It's specifically called "not a news source". Do you have any credible sources, or will you hold firm to something that is nothing more than a blog from discredited sources?

Steve Jacob 1 year, 5 months ago

This was not a revolution, this was a coup. What is the point of elections if you arrest all the winners a year later. Now the Muslim Brotherhood will not be allowed any say in a new government and civil war may happen. Kind of like the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Lisa Medsker 1 year, 5 months ago

Is it just me, or is it indicative of extreme Narcissism that people believe the unrest in other countries has anything to do with whom is the President of ours?

AverageCitizen 1 year, 5 months ago

I am split over the Egyptian uprising. On one hand, the rule of law and the democratic process allows for a governed people to vote out those that are not doing a good job. It establishes a way for citizens to live peacefully. On the other hand, a government that starts messing with the courts, free speech, and cutting out participation of large chunks of their people is a dangerous administration. What if the people had started a coup to oust Hitler earlier in his grab for power? By the time people recognized what he was doing Hitler had TOTAL control. Sometimes it’s too late to do anything after a leader has dismantled the countries entire infrastructure of government. Morsy could have decided to suspend presidential elections in the future after he had an iron grip on the country and it would have changed into something other than a democracy no matter how it started out. Perhaps the people had already decided that was the case since Morsy reneged on many of his promises. We can’t just wholly transplant our western democracy to another country. Our beginnings were just different and Egypt has to find a way for itself.

Jean Robart 1 year, 5 months ago

"They take to the streets to protest when they believe their country is headed in the wrong direction." Maybe we should take the same action?

verity 1 year, 5 months ago

We did/have done so. Remember when Bush 43 wanted to start the war with Iraq---and after the war was started? The U.S. media (liberal indeed) pretty much ignored the marches/protests. One had to go to sources like the BBC to find out about them. I took to the streets, as did many others. Maybe things have to get a lot worse (i.e. Vietnam War with a draft) before we get out of our comfortable existence and do something.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 5 months ago

I do remember doing that very thing during the Vietnam War. LBJ was president and we chanted, "hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids have you killed today?" He decided not to run for another term. Nixon ended that war after we chased the Viet Cong until they caught us. Every bit of that war was on the nightly news and it was horrible. Now we have no such knowledge of the war in Afghanistan and what really goes on.

Use of drones makes us forget that war is still up close and personal for those on the ground, it is not just another video game.

verity 1 year, 5 months ago

Interesting. Apparently at least four people liked your comment that you didn't make.

Odd goings on here at the LJW.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.