Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On New law allows restricted driver's license for unpaid traffic tickets

Comments

verity 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm going to add that to my list of sensible bills passed by this legislature.

It was a blank page before.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't know about this law. Think about it. We are allowing people who repeatedly violate the law to continue to drive. It is their choice to violate the law and accrue fines they can't pay. Do we want these people on the road?

I say repeatedly violate the law because I find it hard to believe that a person can't pay for one ticket.

And why haven't you've been ticketed in a year? Is it because you have chosen to obey the laws?

Court costs are a rip off since you have to pay them even if you don't go to court. I will agree court costs are unfair.

I'd like to see some stats - what is the average amount owed and average number of tickets.

While on the one hand I agree that some drivers should have their licenses taken away forever, I will give as an anecdote my own experience.

I was in a vehicle crash which was legally my fault, although I couldn't see the other car until I pulled out, even though I had stopped and looked, the other driver was on his phone, probably speeding and could have seen me if he had been paying attention. Not the first accident at that corner and the policeman apologized for having to ticket me. I forget exactly how much that cost me, but it wasn't a small amount. As I recall, it would have cost more if I'd gone to court and lost, so I didn't bother.

But much worse, I was totaled on a 15 year old vehicle worth a few thousand Blue Book, even though it was in excellent shape, so I was also out the cost of a new vehicle.

Fortunately I was working lower middle class, so I could squeeze it out of my budget---not easily.

verity, I can support a payment plan for certain offenses and only one payment plan at a time. On a payment plan and get another ticket then you pay it in full.

I'd like to see the data to see if the people are in a situation like yours or if they are repeat offenders that have not made an attempt to pay their fines or drive legally. I can empathize and support helping someone in a situation like you described, but not the person who repeatedly gets speeding, running red lights, dui tickets.

I share your concerns, Mr Mertz.

I hope, from the information in the article, that each situation will be looked at carefully before the restricted license is given. Since the fee is nonrefundable, I know I wouldn't be applying if I wasn't pretty sure I qualified, but of course I can only speak for myself. I don't want idiots, multiple offenders and DUIs on the road anymore than you do. But I also don't want otherwise responsible people to lose jobs and the ability to pay, which can become a vicious cycle.

It would have been helpful if the article had given some indication of how the law worked in the past, since it's been on the books since 2009.

Maybe not germane to this conversation, but there's a person out there who could easily have killed me because of his inattention---if he had been in a slightly higher vehicle I probably wouldn't have walked away. But according to the law, he was the innocent party.

1 year, 5 months ago

I hope we are not sterio typing as always the caae

eotw33 1 year, 5 months ago

DUI's are not eligible. Pretty sure this is more for parking tickets, headlights out, cracked windshields etc. it's not easy replacing a cracked windshield or headlight when you can get a $100 ticket for it whenever they feel like it

grimpeur 1 year, 5 months ago

Cracked windshield, taillight out? Okay. Give 'em a break. Maybe.

Speeding, parking, failure to yield, running red light, or other moving violation?

Um, no. If you've demonstrated you're a problem driver, then the last thing we want to do is make you think you'll be able to keep driving. This is already a huge problem.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.