Discussions

Reader comments

On Kansas to study honoring out-of-state teacher licenses

Comments

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

With Kansas' drift away from science based curriculum and more toward a need to indoctrinate students with religious dogma, I suggest we strongly consider hiring teachers from those educational powerhouses including Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia and West Virginia. The State Board of Education and the C-Street based Governorship will be proudly served and this trend will likely please the Koch-a-Kola crowd as well

Claudean McKellips 1 year, 10 months ago

We currently have high standards. Let's not dumb-down those standards. We deserve the best and brightest teaching our kids.

tomatogrower 1 year, 10 months ago

You haven't heard. Brownback has decided to make us just like Texas, Mississippi, and Florida. You have to dummy down education.

Lee Henry 1 year, 10 months ago

So our teachers have to pass all the high standards put out to them and then we take in someone from another State that has much lower standards to get your degree...such as Illinois.....????? How stupid is this.....

Michael Throop 1 year, 10 months ago

Please cite data to show that, among other states, Illinois has "much lower standards". Given the fact that, yes indeed, people are moving around much more than in the past, there needs to be a change from 19th century thinking that a trainload of schoolmarms will be arriving to fill vacancies in Kansas.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 10 months ago

As an individual who is licensed in Kansas, I can tell you our "agressive standards" are more time consuming than they are intellectually validating. To think we produce a product so much better than the surrounding states is simply as ignorant as it is arrogant.

Scott Morgan 1 year, 10 months ago

Some folks love to toss out names as Alabama and West Virginia as states with poor educational standards. Well, wrong for one thing, truly very arrogant.

The only area state with lower standards than Kansas is ironic relating to left leaning Lawrence. (check out Iowa, NE, CO, MO, OK) Ironic in the sense education was Hillary Clinton's focus while first lady of Arkansas. To this day the great state of Arkansas still has more than a fair share of major educational issues.

As I pass into the evening of my life, I've learned this. Any student, as in any individual, in any state can receive a great education if intrinsically motivated. Happens all the time.

Michael Throop 1 year, 10 months ago

I also find it ironic that the good professors who cluck about "standards" for licensing need NO license to teach in higher education. Tenure culls the herd, to be sure, but, armed with the terminal degree and tenure, no worries. You can teach just like you did in 1970. Also, graduates of institutions in states whose programs they disparage are hired by state and private colleges and universities every year. Feigned outrage?

Centerville 1 year, 10 months ago

The KNEA will never let this happen. Already, the public ed industry has nice-sounding guidelines for people who have expertise in something and want to teach it. But, in fact, they will find it almost impossible to meet the KNEA-dictated requirements.

Jean Robart 1 year, 10 months ago

This has worked-and worked well- in many states for a very long time. I remember teachers of mine who were graduates in Ohio, and came back to Michigan to teach. Having reciprocal licensing agreements can have their own citizens come back to teach in their home state, even if they went to college in another state. I had some excellent teachers during my years in school in Michigan who gasp got their degrees in another state than Michigan.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.