Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On KU officials regroup after Legislature put brakes on health education building

Comments

blindrabbit 1 year, 5 months ago

Bull Manure, Smilin Sam is working this both ways: he really wants the cuts and no new building for KU, but by complaining about the legislature, he can look good to the populace by appearing to be opposed to their rejection. Regardless, he will dance to the Koch-a-Kola tune, especially if he can mimic the like nut Rick Perry in Texas.

Water 1 year, 5 months ago

How long will it be before the Primary Care Physician is replaced by a computer database of questions? Perhaps it would be more wise to direct our educational system to teach students to create, install and maintain the computer software, hardware, robotics and automation technology which will be used by hospitals in the near future.
I've had several conditions which required me to visit my PCP many times. A series of diagnostic tests were performed in between visits. I could have answered the questions on my computer at home, the computer could have told me the name of my next destination and sent a map of roads and hallways to my smart phone. If we can reserve a ticket for a ballgame from home why can't we reserve our next visit to the doctor from our smart phone or home computer?

justoneperson 1 year, 5 months ago

I would like some more information about this:

"KU also sought the release of $25 million that was returned from the federal government as part of a FICA refund related to payroll taxes paid by the medical center in the 1990s"

ravenjayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

KU Medical School admits too many applicants who are not going to practice in Kansas in the first place. A high percentage go back to their home states. They need to have people on the admission staff who need to give priority to students who actually want to practice medicine in the private sector and who want to go to areas that need doctors. It is an admission staff problem of not training Dr.s who want to be in Kansas.

chootspa 1 year, 5 months ago

Even if they really think they want to stay in the state when they're admitted into the program, the massive student loan debt and higher paying big city jobs do a good job of convincing them otherwise after graduation.

konzahawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Can you blame them for not wanting to stay in the state? Kansas is rapidly rivaling a third-world county.

My question in all of this legislative mess is, what is the KU Alumni Association doing? Are they sending out directives to bombard these idiots with emails, phone calls and letters? If they are, I haven't received a damned thing.

I'm a Republican, but these people have to be stopped. They are decreasing the value of my degree and the quality of life for thousands of Kansans. I would start be targeting Arpke, Rhoades and Merrick, since they seem to be the most hostile toward KU, and then move on the rest of the Koch minions.

jaydocky 1 year, 5 months ago

No one has mentioned the real issue. Without adequate facilities, the medical school accreditation is in jeopardy. Many think probation is likely.

Bob Reinsch 1 year, 5 months ago

Arpke is a hard-line AFP candidate that outspent and out-negativecampaigned the very reasonable, and very experience Dr. Pete Brungardt out of Salina. Arpke is doing exactly as his handlers at Americans for Prosperity tell him to do. He is a fedora on a donkey.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.