Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On July 4 bursting with opportunities for viewing pyrotechnic displays

Comments

Liberty275 1 year, 5 months ago

There is nothing left to celebrate on Independence Day when it is illegal to light the fuse yourself.

Bob_Loblaw 1 year, 5 months ago

Dumbest and saddest comment I've ever read... Measuring your "freedom" through the use of pyrotechnics. You sure haven't traveled much abroad have you? There are many places where the use of pyrotechnics is the least concern on the minds of the populace.

I don't waste money on fireworks, but it seems the opposite of "Independence" when the government decides what time the celebration starts.

You can think that is dumb and sad. I don't.

"You sure haven't traveled much abroad"

I've been to a few countries overseas, but I'm not sure of the relevance. I didn't care what they did then and I don't care now. It's their country, not mine.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 5 months ago

My father fought in Patton's army and he thought fireworks were for sissies.

About a mile from our tac site in Germany there was a hill that had three trees on it in a row that were twice as tall as all the others. The legend was that the third army cleared every tree from the hill 40 years earlier except three to remind the Germans who beat back their last major offensive.

hedshrinker 1 year, 5 months ago

My assessment on fireworks and some other summertime faves like motorcycle riding have been largely influenced by working in the Emergency Room...if you're old enuf (or sober enuf) to decide you don't care if you blow your fingers off, injure or kill yourself with yr freak flag flyin on yr chopper, then have at it; unfortunately much of the time these activities involve/endanger others without their permission, particularly in the case of neighbors. children, ANIMALS( who are terrified of fireworks), and other drivers or homeowners. I for one have been thrilled I can lounge on my deck on the Fourth and not be distracted by constant explosions and fear my house was going to be set alight...and can choose to leave the awe-inspiring fireworks displays to the professionals.

SkyHawk72 1 year, 5 months ago

And speaking of professionals, I saw the fireworks in Wamego Thursday night, and it put all of the displays mentioned in this article to shame. It was awesome, better than any fireworks I've ever seen west of St. Louis. I also saw the show at Royals stadium after Friday's game, and it was about 5% of the one in Wamego. If a town of 4,435 can put on a show of that size and quality, I suggest the Lawrence Jaycees pay a visit to the team in Wamego that puts their show together and start planning how to improve Lawrence's meager effort for next year. The list of sponsors for the Wamego show took the announcer about 5 minutes to read - obviously they got the entire community involved in putting on a major event, rather than having one small organization do the whole thing.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.