Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Lawhorn's Lawrence: A night of partying in Oread

Comments

Carol Bowen 11 months ago

The picture is not what I would use as an image for a university. It's not good for the public or my grandchildren. Some of us think higher education is serious business. It costs the family a lot of money. Our kids need to study. Yes, they should have fun, but this picture should accompany an article on student drinking problems. No wonder KU is considered a party school.

seventeen 11 months ago

I really struggle with what I did as a kid and what I'd like to see as a parent. I'm young enough to remember everything pretty clearly, but old enough to be terrified in regard to my kids. Life is about balance. I don't know how successful I am at balancing my struggle, but the "kids" outlined in this article are achieving it. It makes me want to head back to Wheel later today...

Hudson Luce 11 months ago

Back in 1981, when I graduated from KU, I went to a house party where a bunch of punk rock bands were playing - one of them could have been the Mortal Micronotz, but I don't recall for sure, memories are fuzzy, not least due to the fact that there were four kegs of beer - ice cold - there in addition to clouds of pot smoke. One of the highlights of the evening - or early morning - occurred when some guy rode his motorcycle up the stairs, all 650 pounds or whatever of it and him, all the way up to the second floor. Oddly enough, the house is still standing, still has students living in it. It's the house on Tennessee Street, on the corner of 11th or 12th street, with the diagonal square window on the south side.

Jake Angermeier 11 months ago

Damn, Chad. Sounds like you were partying with my grandma. Kids these days are such amatuers...

Patricia Davis 11 months ago

Today's rum ham drinkers may be tomorrow's brightest lights. Congratulations and good luck and be sure to spend all of your parents' money before you leave town. We need your sales tax revenue!

ljwhirled 11 months ago

I agree with "Mrs_Estherhouse" the grumbly comments here help put a lot of the other comments on these forums in perspective.

"Get off my lawn!" seems to be the mantra of many of the regulars here.

Good to know.

Chad, glad the kids had fun and hope everyone got home safe. There are all kinds of aspects to Lawrence. City Hall, County Commission, School Board and others are just blips on the radar for most of our residents.

Leslie Swearingen 11 months ago

Oh, come on, people! Chad, this is a wonderful story and well written as usual. These young adults are just having fun and enjoying themselves. They worked hard to get those degrees. Yes, it is possible to be very intelligent, work your way though college, get that degree and still on occasion go out and have fun.

jack22 11 months ago

My dad used to always say, you work hard, you play hard. He thought it was perfectly OK to have a beer or two after a hard days work. I can understand these students wanting to cut loose a little bit after four or five years of studying and working through college. These kids have just graduated and are moving on to bigger things. This is one last chance for them to cut loose and have some fun with the many friends they've made while attending KU. If they're doing it responsibly I don't see any real harm in it. Congratulations students, get out there and make us proud.

Bill Woodard 11 months ago

I don't see how this necessarily glorifies binge drinking. It does, however, provide a look inside an aspect of Lawrence (Lawhorn's Lawrence is the name of the feature, after all) that happens regularly. Those whining about this need to lighten up.

Stacy Napier 11 months ago

Yea why print an article glorifying criminal bahavior?

Would you print a story about how some other group of society has a blast getting togther smoking drugs and shooting each other? Oh wait that is a different story today.

Not much difference.

Brock Masters 11 months ago

Guess it comes down to priorities. The CJOnline reported yesterday about a young Lawrence girl who won two gold medals in the state swim finals but no reports by LJ world.

Apparently reporting on KU students getting drunk is more important.

christy kennedy 11 months ago

I'm not sure what the point of this article is other than Mr. Lawhorn enjoying a reliving-youth moment. We Oread neighborhood nonstudents he mentions do know full well that for every fun party there are many more that get out of hand and on occasion turn tragic—and yes, some KU students do indeed remain freshman forever. The lighthearted tone and description of some additional method of alcohol ingestion (ham, really?) as "genius" in a place where underage drinking to excess is so rampant and unaddressed is questionable at best.

Brandon Deines 11 months ago

Reading these comments helps give me context to a lot of comments I've read on other articles.

Pork_Ribs 11 months ago

Thanks Chad...just more good evidence for raising the age to vote.

Liberty275 11 months ago

Looks like a kick. Just remember to avoid drinking so much you get alcohol poisoning, don't drive and no means no even when you are drunk.

irvan moore 11 months ago

so did you lose the photographer to the lure of the wild, I don't see many pictures

oneeye_wilbur 11 months ago

Why didn't Chad put the picture in the paper of the idiot on the roof. That way the parents and family will understand when they die or are brain damaged as one girl was several years ago !

frankfussman 11 months ago

Unfortunately, the headline, "A night of partying in Oread", implied, to me, The Oread Hotel, the latest hot spot -- and eyesore -- in the Oread neighborhood.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.