Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Higher education funding back at the forefront; Republican leaders still negotiating budget and taxes

Comments

Lynn731 11 months, 1 week ago

I would much rather they lower property taxes drastically. Retired persons living on fixed incomes are being taxed out of their homes due to increasing property taxes. These taxes should be frozen at the level they are when persons reach age 65.

Thinking_Out_Loud 11 months, 1 week ago

Well, those negotiations were fun while they lasted! Save my seat during the intermission. I'm going to the restroom and then get some Milk Duds and popcorn.

sciencegeek 11 months, 1 week ago

Funny how the very people whose elections were bought and paid for by the Koch propaganda machine aren't following the script. Has the Koch/AFP/KPI/ALEC cabal reaped the whirlwind?

Jackie Jackasserson 11 months, 1 week ago

I am confused. Are we going to pay more income tax or less. Who isn't paying income tax? Is it being eliminated or increased? How can we pay income tax if we are not paying income tax anymore? Wouldn't we not even need to file in 2014 for state income tax if it is Eliminated?

question4u 11 months, 1 week ago

"It also would reduce the standard deduction for head of household to $5,000 from $9,000, and the married-filing-jointly deduction to $6,500 from $9,000."

Hooray! The house plan sounds great. Anyone with a family who pays income tax in Kansas (sorry business owners, but you don't get to participate) will be able to pay HIGHER state income taxes next year as well as continue to pay a higher sales tax that was supposed to expire. Reducing the standard deduction by $4,000 for heads of households and $2,500 for married filing jointly won't be much of a thrill for wealthy taxpayers, of course, but those who aren't wealthy will get the full enjoyment of paying tax on $2,500 to $4,000 more in 2014 than they will this year, whether their income goes up, stays the same, or drops.

It's a source of constant amazement that Kansans are so generous that they will accept a higher sales tax so that business owners can have a free ride. It's nothing short of incredible that Kansans are so generous that they will lower their standard deduction and now gladly pay taxes on $2,500 to $4,000 of their income that was formerly exempt.

Sorry that you have to miss out on the fun, business owners, but in Kansas paying higher income tax AND higher sales tax is is a privilege reserved for the rest of us.

toe 11 months, 1 week ago

Higher Ed cuts are principally the result of educators supporting only one party. Since there are no constituents there is no support.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.