Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Upgrade needed

Comments

Brock Masters 2 years, 1 month ago

Government, i.e. the people should fund infrastructure that is for the common good. My tax dollars should not be used to help a private entity to build a business.

Library funding is appropriate but giving tax dollars for Internet wiring is not. All these grants and subsidies we provide to businesses (farm, energy, etc.) should stop.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

Amen!

I didn't even vote for the library expansion (because I thought it wasn't necessary), and I oppose the sports complex.

So, it's funny to me that he uses those to justify subsidies for high speed internet.

parrothead8 2 years, 1 month ago

So you would argue that broadband infrastructure that benefits almost everyone in Lawrence does not qualify as being for the common good?

ljwhirled 2 years, 1 month ago

Expanding Internet infrastructure is for the common good. Expanded infrastructure is an enabling technology for start-up businesses, telecommuters, education and a host of other applications that benefit everyone.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

Using that logic, one could pretty much justify anything that helped business as being in the common good.

Thanks, but no thanks.

If it's really in the common good, then it should be done by the public sector, after significant discussion and debate. If not, then by the private sector, but without any subsidies, tax abatements, etc.

intrepidjayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I would think that if we are going to put a half million towards fiber it should be with a reliable vendor, not Wicked Broadband...

ljwhirled 2 years, 1 month ago

My connection with Wicked has been reliable and what little service I've required has been timely and competent.

That is more than I can say for Knology/WOW or whatever they are called this week.

chootspa 2 years, 1 month ago

I suspect that WB offers great customer service to relatives and/or employees, yes.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.