Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Lawrence social worker helps patients live their own lives

Comments

ssteve1 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, it's true. She does every bit of this. But, just wait until she takes off those gloves.

CalitoNY 1 year, 7 months ago

Miss Felicia you are a remarkable woman and I hope you will continue your plight to help the elderly!! It appears you understand the value these seniors possess and I can't say enough about your desire to make a little bit of happiness appear once again for these lovely people! Thank you.....I know you sleep well at night just knowing you are a loving and giving person. Congratulations for an honor well deserved!!! Wish others in Lawrence would feel your same love to our seniors......thank you.

ugottabekiddin 1 year, 7 months ago

An outside organization, Crossroads Hospice, has recognized Ms Shockey with this award.
Nothing like giving someone an award with news coverage and a blowout banquet at the Oread to drum up business!!I

Elizabeth Halsey 1 year, 7 months ago

Ugh. Nothing like nasty comments to take the focus away from something positive.

Bailee Winetroub 1 year, 7 months ago

I love reading articles about Lawrence's gems. Kindness, compassion, keep it coming Lawrence! :) Congratulations Ms. Shockey, thank you for all you do.

Karrey Britt 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks Felicia Shockey for all you do in the community and for elderly residents! The Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department appreciates your work and the Project LIVELY care managers are thrilled to receive a donation for the program on your behalf!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

"A large part of my job is advocating for residents," she said. "Moving from the medical model of health care, which is very stale and static, to resident-directed care, and letting people know they don't have to take their medications, is very different."

This sounds like a dangerous policy to me.

hedshrinker 1 year, 7 months ago

I support patient directed self-determination, especially for those who have had much control taken from them b/c of illness and group living. Having said that many care protocols are in place for good reasons (safety, improved cognition,disease management , etc); a collaborative approach between providers and clients, clarifying priorities, treatment side effects/costs can work best. I'm sure the "they don't have to take their meds" statement was a little more complex and nuanced (if not, that's a problem). Sounds like she has lots of enthusiasm and energy. I liken this approach to my experience with caring for dying patients in the bad old days when docs were overly concerned with addiction potential to pain rx: what difference does it make when someone is dying? Comfort is much more important.

purplesage 1 year, 7 months ago

Agreed, ugottabekiddin. Where do you think those referrals come from?

playback 1 year, 7 months ago

@ seventeen: It may seem like a nasty comment, but it has some validity in it. OIG guidelines (guidelines to prohibit kickbacks, self-referrals and fraud) are out there in order to keep everyone on the up & up. Do you not think that providing money towards a charity, albeit a great charity, doesn't place any type of influence on a social worker to provide that hospice with referrals?

Not to mention, probably one of the biggest facilities in Lawrence who has the capability of providing several referrals a day. I see Brandon Woods as a fit organization that is creditable and trustworthy and hopefully wouldn't be swayed by a "kind gesture" like this, but wouldn't you favor someone who was not only providing you with a charitable donation, but also providing you publicity. Hmmmmm, I don’t know!!! @ Purplesage: I agree.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.