Discussions

Reader comments

On Faith Forum: Why does God allow events that kill innocent people, like the recent Texas fertilizer plant explosion and Boston bombings?

Comments

Darrell Brazell 2 years, 1 month ago

As I alluded to in my article, 300 words barely scratches the surface on this question. While not fully addressing the question, I do expand on it greatly in a message, "Embrace The Spiritual Journey," I presented several years ago. You can listen to it for free at www.newhopelawrence.com/job.html .

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 1 month ago

Rev. Dr. DeSpain...

I agree with you 100%...and also with William Sloane Coffin when speaking at his son's funeral.

What I've noticed with the commenters on LJW is that so many do, indeed, blame God for EVERYTHING (except good things, of course)...and strangely enough, it is often the agnostics and atheists. I have YET to figure out how one can blame God if one does not believe there IS a God.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 1 month ago

A couple of years ago the rabbi at the Jewish Temple in Topeka addressed this subject. The question was more or less, "Why doesn't G-d perform miracles to prevent the accidents that we cause ourselves, and that are caused by our lack of preparation for the natural world?"

I could hardly provide even a synopsis of what all the sermon stated, but the basic premise was that if He did, we would then be living in an unpredictable world because miracles would be happening all the time, there would be no consequences for our own actions, and we would be robbed of free will.

2 years, 1 month ago

Unanswerable question? Why did God give a commandment "thou shalt not Kill"/ Then according to old testement there was more killing and taking of each others lands. It is no wonder that religions go to war in the name of God or Allah or what ever god worship. I wish we could follow the teaching of Jesus. I do not think he advocated killing someone who does not beleive like me or you.

jack22 2 years, 1 month ago

Whomever wrote the bible got it all wrong. God, if there is one, is a woman. Think about it, did you ever hear of or see a man give birth to anything.

true_patriot 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't like the second essay - it seems to say "don't blame God when bad things happen" but of course God is always thanked when good things happen. It's a contradiction.

Now, I do believe there is intrinsic value in thanking God in general for what we have, out of a sense of gratitude. But I think it's kind of silly when you look at in in context to say don't blame God for this because he's not that involved but if something good happens people go out of their way to ostentatiously thank God for having his finger on the lever and his hand upon the wheel.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.