Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Railroad enthusiasts celebrate National Train Day at Santa Fe Depot

Comments

gccs14r 11 months, 1 week ago

12k people commute from Lawrence to KC every day. Put them on a train and there suddenly is enough traffic at Union Station in KC to warrant expanded bus service. And for those who work farther east, they can hop off at the stadium complex and grab bus service from there.

It would work, but obviously the trains have to be there first, and they have to be on time (meaning having priority over freight on shared rail).

none2 11 months, 1 week ago

GCCS, Tgil is correct. You think they are going to make a commuter rail in this part of the county? Why on earth would they? Lets consider just Lawrence to the metro area. Once you get everybody to Grand Central Station, you'd have to get all these people to destinations all over the metro area. There is not just a handful of destinations for prospective riders. If their final destination is Johnson County, K-10 would still be faster.

The energy spent on such a pie in the sky idea would be better spent improving internet speeds. It is a lot cheaper and faster to haul ideas than people. Thus a lot more energy could be saved focusing on the internet, then trying to bring back the golden days of trains. It would be nice if they could just keep what they got. However, odds are in just a few years Kansas will loose even more access to trains as BNSF wants to reroute the Southwest Chief way from southwestern Kansas, southeastern Colorado, and northeastern New Mexico. Instead they want to route them from Newton, KS down to Amarillo, TX. While it will be a boon for Amarillo and other communities along that route, it will be a blow to those who currently have access as well as those that like to travel through the mountains.

Tgill 11 months, 1 week ago

Gccs I just wonder what you have neen smoking Not gonna happen ever. private enterprise cant make money at it the feds aint gonna fund it and the states dont have the money get your little model train out and fantsize some more

gccs14r 11 months, 1 week ago

If we'd get commuter rail set up between Lawrence and KC (and should be between Manhattan and Independence, MO), we'd have enough passenger traffic to warrant a newsstand and café at the depot.

riverdrifter 11 months, 1 week ago

Tgill is correct. If Calwell was a conductor then I am a chinese fandancer. He was never in train service. I was there and did that for Santa Fe, 1974-1990. I'd wager I could tell more tales about the Lawrence depot (zkz-2727) than anybody -unless George Bocquin is still around and I hope he is. The memories come back: conductor Jack Valcour (killed in the yards by a kicked ATSF 525609), Sonny Baker, Jeraldo Hawkes (you know who you are!), conductor George Buhler, L. D. Ellison, E. D. Kirk, Caddilac Cal and amazing Grace, Sonny Sal Vega (killed by a train near Lebo) and the list just goes on.

Tgill 11 months, 1 week ago

Calwell did work for the railroad he was a claim agent. He never got paid for working on a train and was not a conductor. He may have a pass as do all former ATSF employees who hired out before 1971 (I think) He is just another foamer who plays trains in his mind. Ask him about his track car accident at railroad days a few years ago.........He is truly a railroad legend in his own mind

Commenting has been disabled for this item.