Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Opinion: Panic diverts attention from real threats

Comments

verity 11 months, 1 week ago

I found the article written by the reporter who tried to get a 3-D gun printed, but was too late to edit my comment above.

http://news.yahoo.com/not-easy-3-d-print-gun-135843235.html

Liberty275 11 months, 1 week ago

"On Friday, the federal government ordered Wilson to remove the blueprints from his website."

That is a blatant violation of Defense Distributed's first amendment rights. Worse yet it is pointless. 100,000 copies out the window, and ythey make him stop. That's just dumb.

The cat is out of the bag. What will the smart fellows in Washinngton do to protect us now? Will they have the courage to ban 3d printers? How many people will have to die before we require background checks on anyone wanting to own or use a 3d printer?

It never ends until you make it stop.

Leslie Swearingen 11 months, 1 week ago

The plastic gun in question that fires a single shot is untraceable, undetectable and accessible to any felon has turned the gun debate upside down. A hard-plastic firearm called “The Liberator” is the world’s first entirely printed 3D gun. It fires standard .380-caliber bullets.

Wilson told Leitner he has been ordered to remove the gun blueprints from his website. And to take down the files for nine other 3D-printable firearm parts, which include silencers, sights and magazine.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/10/website-removes-instructions-for-making-untraceable-printed-plastic-gun/

Example of a 3-D Printer, available on Amazon.

Example of a 3-D Printer, available on Amazon. by Frankie8

Leslie Swearingen 11 months, 1 week ago

The problem would be someone buying the printer from Amazon at two thousand and only needing it for one shot, which is all it takes to kill someone. But, I can't figure out why some one would need a plastic gun when they could buy a metal one a lot cheaper. Don't forget that you need the blueprints, the right kind of plastic and the know how to put it all together. What about the bullet it fires? Would that also be detected? In addition to the nail used to fire it?

I would think that paranoid needs to be redefined considering the reality of possible death in places never imagined as dangerous just a short time ago.

verity 11 months, 1 week ago

Can't remember where I read this, but after this announcement a reporter set out to acquire a 3-D printed gun. Short version of a very long story, the cost was prohibitive to buy your own printer, having one printed commercially was expensive and nobody who does 3-D printing would do it for him---legal questions, etc.

And they apparently are only good for one firing.

Not going to have a panic attack about this.

Jason Johnson 11 months, 1 week ago

I don't know why every is having a cow - you can build a (9mm) zip gun for less than $5 from parts bought at a hardware store...

I guess people don't like the printable ones because they're plastic? The printed one in the video had a metal firing pin, so it's still detectable.

Paying $2000 for a printer that prints a marginal gun vs $5 for a metal zip gun? I'll take the zip gun.

Now maybe technology will progress where it gets cheaper and better. But right now printable guns are still out of the realm for most people.

jonas_opines 11 months, 1 week ago

More accurate headline would have been: "What's worthy of true panic is highly dependent upon your point of view."

freeadvice 11 months, 1 week ago

Much ado about nothing, The 3d printing gun is very low power, inaccurate and bulky. Now if the character had uploaded plans to make very pistols, he would be in trouble. Although you can buy them for around 20 bucks (made out of plastic too). If that costs too much for you, you could go to any plumbing supply store and make your own zip styled flare gun for 5 bucks.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.