Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: An angry rant

Comments

weiser 1 year, 11 months ago

Say what you will about China,they are keeping us solvent; barely. Obama wants to raise the debt ceiling and borrow more.

Charles Fogarty 1 year, 11 months ago

Every president raises the debt ceiling. Stop blaming Obama for business as usual. The Republicans who don't want to raise the debt ceiling don't understand much about the way the Federal Government operates.

Phoghorn 1 year, 11 months ago

Raise the debt ceiling, raise taxes, raise spending.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

(Both parties).

overthemoon 1 year, 11 months ago

"In total, China owns about 8 percent of publicly held U.S. debt. Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments, purchased as part of its quantitative easing program to boost the economy."

Sean Livingstone 1 year, 11 months ago

Napoleon had once said, "Let China sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world."

Sometimes, you just have to learn how to differentiate the truth and the lies what the Media says about China... just as what the Media likes to pick and choose stories for you.... for example, CNN runs a news today that Russia is withholding information on one of the Boston's bombers... yet the US neglects all the information from the Russian authority about the bombers. The media likes you to believe in things they believe in. Despite the ranting about China and cheap imports, many fail to truly understand the dynamics of the global economy.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

Just a hunch but I bet the LTE writer has something in their home that says Made In China on it. Complain and rant all you want but unless you're not buying from China you're part of the problem.

Also, it hurts the credibility of the LTE writer when they include a blatant lie - no one has been pushing legislation to protect ownership of machine guns.

Now for my rant - quit giving money to foreign countries and quit fighting unnecessary wars coupled with nation building. Use those resources here in America. Think of the good that could have been done with all the money we spent on the Iraq war.

I find it disgusting that the CIA is delivering bags of money to the Afghanistan president and he demands that it doesn't stop.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

"LTE writer has something in their home that says Made In China on it"

You mean the keyboard he wrote his rant on?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you know of a source for keyboards that aren't made in China?

juma 1 year, 11 months ago

A small rant to put things in prospective. In Bangladesh, where the factory collapsed and buried alive over 400 mostly women, the locals did not give a damn. The latest mass demonstration in Bangladesh, several days after the building collapsed, was attended by over 200,000 men demanding that the blasphemy laws against the great islam require mandatory execution. So much for human rights.

Charles Fogarty 1 year, 11 months ago

He didn't say that anyone was "pushing" gay marriage. He said that they were debating how gay marriage hurt heterosexual marriage and that is, pretty much, a Republican talking point.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, you can't always win. When you feel beat down by Brownback and the soon-to-be- media moguls, the Kock Borther, you should find your happy spot and think nice thoughts. Otherwise you will end up with blood pressure problems.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 11 months ago

Your anger is a bit misplaced... Your blaming everyone but who you should be blaming and that's the liberal run city. The state doesn't run off every business that wants to come to Lawrence, the state doesn't want to keep Lawrence just how it is, and conservatives would love new businesses to come to Lawrence. If your kids want jobs I suggest you appear at a city.meeting and ask why the city blocks outside business interest from coming to Lawrence. Until then they are stuck with cutting grass.

08Champs 1 year, 11 months ago

Just going to point out that if anyone is going to be blamed within the Kansas government, it would be difficult to NOT pinpoint Republicans, as they are the overwhelming majority, no?

Anthony Mall 1 year, 11 months ago

Those pesky republicans are pushing business out of lawrence? You are completely mistaken!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

So, the Governor, the think's-he's Governor (and/or AG,) and the world's largest retailer are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and therefore should be off-limits from commentary?

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 11 months ago

You forgot Blah,blah, blah, Koch Brothers...

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

Bejing's pollution is abhorent because we gave U.S. manufacturers, such as the steel industries, tax incentives which allowed them to move their plants overseas when they were having tantrums about our new EPA laws. Unfortunately for everyone, China and the rest of the planet, the lack of strong and enforced environmental laws is affecting the entire planet. If American industry, and we the people, had just bitten the bullet thirty years ago, we likely wouldn't be in this mess now.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 11 months ago

a good rant is good now and then whether you agree or not.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 11 months ago

It's more enjoyable when they attribute the real problems to the real causes.

Phoghorn 1 year, 11 months ago

Propaganda leads to hate. Hate leads to bad political movements. Bad political movements lead to Adolph Hitler and other tyrants.

puddleglum 1 year, 11 months ago

17-years of walmart-free purchasing! its not that hard. if all a consumer cares about is 'lowest price', then let the ding dongs buy chinese junk. once their house is full, and they lost their job, they'll get it. well, maybe not.

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

Where have you been---and are you running for governor in 2014?

Many years ago when I shopped at Walmart on my mother's advice, I found two things---some things were more expensive than other places and the cheap stuff was just that---cheap, didn't work and/or broke. Don't miss it a bit.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

From my shopping trip yesterday:
Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Juice drink, 64 ounces

Checkers $3.14 (approx)
Dillons $2.49
Walmart $1.95

I'll give you two guesses where I bought it, and no, it was not made in China.

But that is just one item, some prices are higher and others are lower for the exact same item in the different stores. To get the best prices you have to shop around, that's a basic. Especially if you are on a slim budget!

And - if you have an item from Walmart that is broken and/or doesn't work, return it in the original packaging with your receipt. You will get a refund, and they don't question it.

budwhysir 1 year, 11 months ago

A rant, by any other name than angry would just be a rant. While complaints are logged, could anyone tell me the real outcome. Put plainly, even during an angry rant, I am sure that everyone will continue to do what is needed to save money. So the problem with a double sided coin. We want the outcome but not the results.... We wish on a shooting star for what? Another shooting star. Buy today to save tomorrow.

I love how every shopping trip I make is finished by a cashier smiling and informing me of the money I saved.... You saved $9.00 today sir.... yah right, I was only wanting to spend a dollar so how did I save 9?

Tomato 1 year, 11 months ago

Unless your kid was dreaming of a career in factory labor, cheap clothing and toys from Walmart didn't steal his job.

But I have the sneaking suspicion that factory work was not the kind of job your kid was planning on after graduating from "school" (by which I assume you mean college).

Your kids likely heard you say, "Do what you love and the rest will follow." "You should follow your dreams when you're young, while you have the chance!"

What they didn't hear you say was, "Well, Marine Biology sounds interesting, but my research indicates that only 50% of graduates will work in that field and of those, most have an advanced degree. On the other hand, the accounting program at KU had a 95% placement rate last year."

They didn't hear you say, "Engineering is indeed lucrative... if you're in the top 10-20% of your class, so you're going to need to re-evaluate your dream midstream if you're not making the grade."

China didn't steal your kid's job. It very likely never existed in the first place. Boycotting Walmart won't magically create more jobs in journalism. Or sociology. Or economics. Or hotel management. Or urban planning. Or chemistry. Or biology.

20-somethings aren't dreaming of the good ole days when they could get a blue-collar union job, make a decent hourly wage clocking in to the factory line for 8 hours a day, then clocking out to grab drinks with the boys at the local bar. That isn't what they majored in.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.