Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Editorial: AG issue

Comments

oldexbeat 1 year, 7 months ago

Clearly, Derek has friends that need work. It is slush money for poor lawyers. I mean, what with no taxes on LLCs, this is the only path to get more money from the government for attorneys. Go Bar Team, Go....

Michael LoBurgio 1 year, 7 months ago

Federal judges order Kan. to pay $389K in fees

expenses to attorneys in redistricting lawsuit

Three federal judges on Tuesday ordered Kansas to cover $389,000 worth of attorneys' fees and expenses for individuals involved in a lawsuit last year that stemmed from the Legislature's inability to redraw political boundaries to ensure equal representation.

The three-judge panel ruled that 15 legislators, business leaders and voters achieved enough of their goals in the redistricting lawsuit to warrant having at least part of their attorneys' fees and expenses covered. The court said those individuals had wanted the state to cover about $671,000 in bills, while the state had sought to have them bear almost all the expense themselves.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/89d1dbb915ab4e45b93a245bc4862958/K...

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 1 year, 7 months ago

Does this guy do anything? Anything? He farmed out previous legal challenges, he wants to farm these challenges out and the Cap-Journal had some stories that he's under fire for not getting the job done on conceal and carry permits. What is his office actually doing and why do we need him if he has to farm everything out and fails to do the tasks he does take on? Time for a change.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 7 months ago

great way to reward campaign contributions to big law firms in Wichita, Topeka and KC. The AG's office used to have experienced trial attorneys on staff.

buffalo63 1 year, 7 months ago

This is part of the failed Kansas Conservative Lab experiment! Yes, I know this doesn't add any facts to the discussion, but just my feelings and I'd like to share!

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

If they don't have sufficient staff, then they should hire a couple of top flight recent law school graduates for 75K a year each. The big firms that Schmidt anticipates hiring charge hundreds of dollars per hour. There is nothing especially complicated about these potential cases. A bright, recent law graduate can handle the issues.

As previous posters have pointed out, this is nothing more than Schmidt paying back a debt to the big law firms who made campaign contributions of thousands of dollars to republican candidates. Its a payoff, and it stinks to high heaven.

somebodynew 1 year, 7 months ago

What is bad is that this has been gong on since he got in power - it was just not publicly discussed. The problem now is, despite the warnings, the legislature went ahead with these laws. And, the AG is smart enough to know with the current finance situation this Administration has gotten us into, there will not be any money for when the law suits are actually filed. If he doesn't get it now, there won't be any.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Why does he need money to fight the lawsuits. He has a large staff of competent attorneys who are are already on the State payroll. l.

Jefferson_County 1 year, 7 months ago

That's a broad statement. Perhaps you can enlighten all of us on a) the number of attorneys on his staff, and b) their current caseload. Please tell us what they do all day long. It is very easy to put down non-partisan state employees that are already being paid less than the private sector and are operating under budget cuts because of the current tax policy in this state, so please enlighten us as to their daily routine.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 7 months ago

AG staff is busy. The ones I have gone up against in court are bright, civil and competent.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.