Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Behind the Lens: ‘Chimping’ a photography faux pas

Comments

Alison Carter 1 year, 7 months ago

What a delightful article, Nick. Lots of memories of darkroom days in basement of Flint Hall.......who knows what critters lurked on the walls and floor....ahh, and the fumes of chemicals. I now chimp a lot but, then again, my subjects aren't performing Allen Fieldhouse spectaculars. Keep up the good work, Nick. Thanks for this fun read.

bliddel 1 year, 7 months ago

Tell me, Nick, does "chimping" make a distinction between those who refer to the LCD for gratification, versus those of us being paid to perform a service verifying whether or not our most recent shot meets the business objectives, before dismissing said subject back to his or her seat?

I shoot graduation exercises. I get each and every graduate with the person handing out diplomas or certificates or whatever.

It's a waste of everyone's time and resources to take multiple backup shots, just as it is a waste of time to not take another shot when any of a myriad of things may have gone wrong.

Fashion faux pas or not, I'm going to check my LCD display, not for gratification, but for being competent. If it's not OK, I take another shot while the subject is still there.

jlmiletich1 1 year, 7 months ago

That's one difference between a beginner and an advanced photographer.

Nick Krug 1 year, 7 months ago

Bliddel, I think it's pretty clear that I'm talking about image review or chimping in a news gathering type of setting where storytelling images might be missed by doing so.

mom_of_three 1 year, 7 months ago

I dont think my kids' graduation photographer chimped...

rjmang 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe they are looking at their histogram to see if their highlights are clipped or to see if the exposure is adequate. Maybe "chimping" is an elitist term to make people feel superior.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.