Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On County seeking grant to study feasibility of 'food hub'

Comments

oldbaldguy 11 months, 3 weeks ago

thanks for the blog. however once the grant money is gone how will this be financed?

jlmiletich1 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Local food hub blog here (diagrams / videos / radio interviews):

http://jlmiletich1.wordpress.com/

who pays for this? we do. if this is such a good idea why aren't the producers getting together and using their money?

Centerville 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It will pay for one bureaucrat. Then he or she will carp and whine for more money and, pretty soon, it will be said by places like the LJW that farmers' markets can't exist unless the USDA puts more money into the hub. Trust me, you farmers' market lovers, tell the USDA to go cause problems somewhere else.

insidR 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Most the commenters above obviously have little understanding of what this is all about. Try clicking on the “food hub” link within the article for a good explanation. The local farmers markets are great places but they are not food hubs. There is a need to better supply restaurants, grocery stores, schools and other institutions with large quantities of good, consistent, local food, rather than have it all shipped in from out of state. Individual local growers are not well positioned to provide the large-scale cold storage, processing, warehousing, and delivery systems needed. The idea is to help coordinate the infrastructure needed to ramp this up to the next level. This takes some planning and coordination, just what the grant is for. More local food means better food and local jobs. It’s a clear win for the community. What are you guys complaining about? Since the money is already budgeted by the USDA, would you feel better if it went to another community?

Milton Bland 11 months, 3 weeks ago

This isn soooo sad! The USDA needs to be eliminated. And that is coming from a person who has very close ties to farming. That is my money being wasted, along with the majority of USDA programs. But Obama would prefer to close control towers and short-change education.

Patricia Davis 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I saw this on a blog: http://healdsburgshed.com and I thought I was fabulous. While in California wine country, the concept resonates for our community. It's based on the old-fashioned Grange. All things old are new again?

what happen to the market dictating supply and demand? grant means paying someone to do a study. this is dumb. if county really wants to study this, then they(we) need to pay for it. why is there a county food policy council? does every kansas county have one? i thought the food infrastructure is checkers, high vee and so on?

Steven Gaudreau 11 months, 3 weeks ago

"county's Food Policy Council said it is applying for a $58,250 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to study the feasibility"

I don't understand how the Feds are broke!

cowboy 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I think its a worthy idea

develop the local market = jobs create some certainty on crop sales create new crops to meet commercial demand identify the size of the market develop a credible cost effective way to provide natural raised meats into the market

problem is seasonality of it all , what are the restaurants / markets to do in winter months

Robert Rauktis 11 months, 3 weeks ago

"a $58,250 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to study the feasibility of establishing the hub to bring local food suppliers and customers closer together and to reduce costs of locally sourced food."

Isn't that hub called "The Farmer's Market"? Do these people ever get out of their offices or do they perpetuate the bureaucracy with your tax dollars?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.