Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Small World celebrates 45 years of helping women learn English, American culture

Comments

Kat Christian 1 year, 5 months ago

This is great that we have this class...people who come to this country should be expected to speak English, because that is our native language. But we also need to teach our American women (and men) how to speak proper English as well. Of course it should be taught in school but isn't. It is disheartening when you hear a grown up (especially who has children) saying "I ain't got or He come over the other day and the most irritant is Where you at" No one says Yes, of course, but instead “Yea”. American English is being replaced by lazy, improper and slang vernacular. Not to mention the F-word and other curse words that is used frequently by our young folks. If I live another 40 years I wonder if I’d recognize our language?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 5 months ago

There is no American English as such because every region in America has it's own dialect, and there are sub-dialects within those. Also, people speak like those around them.

Language is organic and fluid, words are added, some taken away; it is something with which one can have fun. I think we should be creative in how we talk and write and don't be afraid to use colloquialisms, slang or jargon.

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 5 months ago

I know people who are immigrants who have greatly been helped by this program.

May it continue to help many more people!

What matters is being able to communicate. Different American dialects are not that important.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.