Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Lawrence Memorial Hospital agrees to give $15,000 a year to chamber's economic development fundraising campaign

Comments

73KU 12 months ago

LMH should be doing God's work of healing the sick instead of creating jobs for roofers.

Number_1_Grandma 12 months ago

The Chamber of Commerce is nothing more than a snotting group of people who want to 'party' on others money for their mixers. They could care less what the public has to think about them because they feel we aren't "one of them" anyway. The ONLY way to change this uppity attitude and do the job the C of C is supposed to do is by cutting funding! Make them change their ways or lose funding from taxpayers. Otherwise, party on, laugh and toast away at taxpayers, nah sayers expense.

chocolateplease 12 months ago

Does the Chamber consider the negative impact this has on the public's view of their organization, equating to a lowered opinion of downtown businesses in general? I would think that if LMH was giving any money away, it would be to increase the health of those less fortunate with regard to health care, not lining the pockets of downtown shop owners!

oneeye_wilbur 12 months ago

Why doesn't the Chamber tap into the group that put the East Hills business park together.
After it was a not for profit and the players who have profited have been kept so secret that even the JW won't touch the story!

We do know that the county paid $750,000 for the acreage with taxpayer money!

Chad shouldn't have too much trouble confirming that in JW articles .

UneasyRider 12 months ago

So LMH will give money to Chamber! Fine, don't expect me to donate 1 penny to them with their fundraising, obviously they don't need it.

newkidintown 12 months ago

Why are we raising money for chamber leadership that lives in another state?

RockyRaccoon 12 months ago

Let's not forget that at the bottom of this article http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/mar... it states that LMH is losing $750,000 of funding this year, so they are giving money to the Chamber of Commerce to help increase the city population which will bring new patients to LMH but with a smaller budget leading to less equipment and less staff.

Richard Heckler 12 months ago

reckless spending drives inflation...

verity 12 months ago

Shakes head. Since I no longer live in Lawrence, I usually don't comment on things of only local interest, but I will say this makes me glad I don't live there anymore. Some years ago I had a two night stay at LMH. There was absolutely no reason for me to be there the second night and the experiences I had while there were rather awful. Disgustingly unsanitary, a number of really dumb decisions by staff who were not being completely honest with me. I had to question medication which it was then decided I didn't need. Now, if I recall correctly from a past article, they are basically being blackmailed into donating money to the CofC.

The staff were really nice, but I was certainly glad to get out without contacting some awful infection.

The hospital wants in n the game! Big money to be had!

Number_1_Grandma 12 months ago

The "City owned" Hospital is non profit. This only means they need to 'give away' money so not to make any money? How about when the hospital loses money some year? How about being self sufficient where no taxpayers money is needed?

By the way, hospital employees got substantial raises also.

tomatogrower 12 months ago

"A report prepared for the chamber found the economic development group for the university community of Bloomington, Ind., has $900,000 a year in private economic development support. Others in the report included Boulder, Colo., $825,000; Iowa City, $775,000; Lee’s Summit, Mo.; $500,000; and Norman, Okla., $450,000."

Then get it from "private economic development". This is a public hospital. Local businesses should be able to give lots of money, since they don't have to pay state income tax anymore. Ripping off the taxpayers to bring in more low paying retail jobs. Wonderful

Sounds likeLMH. Must have had some profit! And to think, it is a not for profit "scheme".

Kate Rogge 12 months ago

Isn't the hospital owned by the city? What is a city-owned agency doing donating money to the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce? Shouldn't it be spending its money on hospital care and equipment?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.