Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Academic focus

Comments

Carol Bowen 1 year ago

The Journal World has improved. There are more articles and better coverage. The local campaign was covered very well. The 2011 campaign had meager coverage. National and international news is more than a side bar. There have been more articles about academics. If Dolph Simons wants to balance sports with other news, it will take time. There are probably more sports reporter positions. Reorganization has to happen. My first request would be to make two news sections so that my husband and I can read the paper at the same time.

Hudson Luce 1 year ago

This is a good idea - and there's plenty to report on: just see http://www.researchmatters.ku.edu/

Examples include:

"Ilya Vakser, professor and director of the center for bioinformatics at KU, says modeling these interactions is vitally important. But until now, scientists thought years of work lay ahead before a useful set of templates could be completed. Now, Vakser and colleagues have discovered that an almost-whole set exists already, a breakthrough with far-reaching implications for structural biology.

Vakser: Proteins are the building blocks of life, they are at the heart of molecular mechanisms, of life systems, so there are the most important components of life. So if we know things about proteins, we can tell a lot about how living systems operate. We can gain a lot of fundamental knowledge about biology, but also can learn to how to cure diseases." http://www.researchmatters.ku.edu/2012/november/protein.shtml

"“Using the iPad, not only can they interact with a screen, but we can teach them through a series of steps to control things on that screen,” the KU researcher said. “There are so many apps already available; we don’t have to go out and make our own apps. There are apps available to make a communication board. There are apps available that have different levels of difficulty. Parents of children with CVI are already learning that the iPad works well. There are blogs that say, ‘Look at this one’ or, ‘Look at that one! My child is responding to this app.’”

“With the proper intervention techniques, the amazing thing is that the child’s brain grows the brain cells needed in the cerebral cortex,” she said. “It grows the brain cells necessary to begin understanding what their eye is seeing. So they develop the ability to interpret images, sometimes just partially, sometimes fully.” http://archive.news.ku.edu/2011/october/5/ipad.shtml

msezdsit 1 year ago

..."Let’s turn on the light by introducing a new section of the newspaper, “Academics,”.....

I think this is a good idea but would probably bring in as much revenue as PSA's do. In this world where capitalism and the all mighty dollar rule, get used to the sports headlines.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year ago

Sports coverage drives ad sales. Coverage of academics, not so much. End of story.

Les Blevins 1 year ago

Shame on you Mr. Duellman! You've just spilled the beans. That message you've just disclosed was supposed to be kept under wraps and be a portion of the private message the President was going to take up with KU officials this Friday, but now somehow you've penetrated the Presidents undisclosed and private agenda and let the cat out of the bag. Shame on you sir for upstaging the President Mr. Duellman.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.