Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Obama coming to Lawrence to visit KU on Friday

Comments

Jeanne Cunningham 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow! Hope I can figure out how to at least see him.

TongiJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Take it easy! I'm sure he looks a lot like he does on TV.

windjammer 1 year, 7 months ago

Because Douglas County voted him into office.

skull 1 year, 7 months ago

Cool story LOL...how'd that turn out for you?

PhilChiles 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw him in Osawatomie. Totally worth whatever you have to do to get in. It's a pretty surreal moment, seeing him up close.

fiddleback 1 year, 7 months ago

Man, I saw him play a solo show at the Sioux City Orpheum Theater back on 12/17/2007 before he'd won the Iowa Caucus, before anybody around here had even heard of him. Packed house and we were standing near the back door, but still, totally worth it. So much passion in those early tunes...I don't want to accuse him of selling out, and I still buy his albums like a true fan, but I just don't know that I'd pay to go hear him live nowadays. Besides, wherever they have it, it's bound to be crawling with total hipsters...

UneasyRider 1 year, 7 months ago

Bet Brownback will show up and try for photo op, like he's relevant or important. That is if the Koch's will allow it.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

This is great. I hope people listen to what he has to say and don't try to twist his words. He is a good man and truly wants to help those in need, but he has been stymied by the realities of politics in Washington.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, he has done so much good.

Drone killings, GITMO, Patriot Act, wants to cut SS, paid a measly 18% tax rate, cancelled student tours of the White House while hosting a party that cost tax payers over 400 grand. Lets go on, high unemployment, more people needing food stamps, the world continues to hate us and so on.

jack22 1 year, 7 months ago

I totally agree fred, Obama has single handedly destroyed the eight years of peace and economic prosperity the Bush administration gave us. And Gitmo, the Patriot Act, drone killings, etc., Bush never would have stood for any of that non-sense, he was a true diplomat when it came to foreign affairs, those things never would have happened under his watch.

Wayne James 1 year, 7 months ago

GEORGE BUSH...PEACE? Don't use this man's name in conjunction with peace. He single-handedly killed over 3000 young Americans with his war against a man that had nothing at all to do with the bombing of the World Trade centers on September 11, 2001. He was wanting to go after him because daddy George H.W. Bush didn't finish the job the first time around and he, George W. was going to prove that HE could get him, while the real instigator, Osama Bin Laden walked around the hills of Afganistan and sat in the safety of his compound in Pakistan & laughed while commanding more raids on Americans.
George & his buddy are not and were not peaceful men.

buffalo63 1 year, 7 months ago

That is what I think. At least I would hope so!

I almost ended my post with, "and, yes, I blame Bush for those things too" because I knew someone would try to deflect criticism of Obama onto Bush.

Bush created a mess that Obama criticized but chose to continue. Bush started it, but Obama owns it now.

Gregory Newman 1 year, 7 months ago

Quit lying. The first thing that came out of Bushes mouth was I got to give the peoples their money back so there went the surplus. Then he said he was going to deal with the axis of evil and those Nations wasn't bothering us. Iraq, Iran and now North Korea. Bush started that crap and broke us.

Would you rather go back to the failed politics & lies of the Bush administration and just be looking forward to the endless wars in the middle east where too many American soldiers will lose their lives fighting to depose a terrorist leader over nothing? Oh, you think that Bin Laden isn't guilty of anything and that the Republicans are all hero's. You are a daydreamer!!! Not to mention full of it! GITMO is a product of George Bush. Oh yes, the drone strikes....Would you rather we simply went in like we did in Japan and just level the whole country with one bomb? I certainly don't approve of them, but unfortunately it is that or an all out war. What do you propose? Are you a General with 4 stars on your shoulder? When was the last time YOU made any decisions of this nature? Are you qualified to run this country as the LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD? Put yor money where you r mouth is and try out/run for Mr Obama's job.

I don't have to be a four star general to criticize any politician. They work for me. Nope I wouldn't want to go back to Bush which is part of the reason I criticize Obama. He is just continuing the things Bush started.

I have no problem using drones to kill the enemy but I do not want them used against Americans only suspected of being a terrorist. Do you think Americans who have not been charged with a crime, are not engaged in a conflict and who pose not immediate threat should be killed by drones?

Here is what I propose, if we truly believe an American has committed a crime then charge them with it. Have a trial and convict them and then if the evidence supports they are a terrorist hunt them done with any means necessary but give due process it's day. If that person has not been charged but engages in a violent act then by all means kill them if necessary. But if they have not been charged and are just sitting in a cafe then no, you may not kill them m

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

"Here is what I propose, if we truly believe an American has committed a crime then charge them with it. Have a trial and convict them and then if the evidence supports they are a terrorist hunt them done with any means necessary but give due process it's daY"

Sorry, Fred, but to implement the "due process" you suggest would require changing the definition of due process, which requires presenting a statement of charges to the defendant, affording him counsel, allowing him to confront the witness, and offer evidence in his behalf. That process cannot move forward until the accused is arrested and brought before a court of law. How do you propose we arrest these American terrorists?

The reality of the circumstances are that we are at war with these people. War changes the rules a bit.

The idea that an American terrorist should be afforded more protection than a foreign terrorist is a rather convoluted and overly formalistic and unrealistic legal concept. The law is very capable of creating so-called "legal fictions" to circumvent overly rigid legal doctrine. From my perspective, any American who consorts, colludes with and aides the enemy has by theirs actions renounced their American citizenship along with the constitutional protections afforded citizens.

I am sure American citizens are convicted every day in this country on less evidence than our intelligence apparatus has gathered on the terrorists currently operating in Afghanistan and other countries who simply happen to be former American citizens.

They can be tried in absentia and we have to be careful with killing people who are deemed enemies. There were times in our countries history that people we now hold in high regard such as MLk Jr were considered enemies of the country.

Would you have been okay if the government put a bullet in Terry Nichols head instead of bringing him to trial? Or even Timothy McVeigh - no charges, no trial, just send in a drone and kill him?

Ah yes, the intelligence apparatus that brought us Iraq WMD or prevented the 9/11 attacks. Sorry I don't have much confidence in them

Trying a person in abstentia only is consistent with traditional due process concepts when the accused has already been brought before the court but thereafter voluntarily refuses to appear at proceedings by absconding. That is not the case here. Still waiting. How do you propose we cap[ure and bring these American terrorists before a court to afford them the same due process to which American citizens are entitled. t. .

Comparing Terry Nichols to MLK is patently absurd. I am surprised that a person with your intellect would spew such nonsense.

And contrary to your assertions, our intelligence apparatus worked fine with regard to 9/11. Blame lies solely with Bush and Condi Rice, who virtually ignored the warning contained with the Presidential Dailty Briefing less than a month before 9/11.

And the faulty WMD premise for attacking Iraq was because Chaney circumvented standard procedure and handpicked one piece of faulty evidence that had not been properly vetted. The professional intelligence community was outraged over Chaney's actions. There have been several books written about this. Are you not aware of them?

IN other words, the failures of 9/11 and Iraq were political failures of the incompetent and dishonest Bush administration, and not the intelligence community.

No one compared Nichols to MLK Jr. To suggest so is just a red herring on your part, but just in case, let me break it down for you.

I said we hold MLK Jr in high regard today, but there was a time when the government considered him an enemy. My point is you cannot give the government the power to decide who is an enemy and kill them.

The point about Terry Nichols which you did not respond to, was in a separate paragraph and unrelated to the point about MLK Jr.

I don't agree with you about not being able to try them in absentia, but assuming you're right, then we do like we do with any other criminal and wait until we catch them.

What crime did Abdulrahman Al-Awlaki commit or even was suspected of to deserve being killed? You may support Obama killing this teenage boy but I do not.

My bad on the MLK/Nichols comment. I get a F for reading comprehension. But I am now reminded that I forgot to point out that MLK was never considered an a enemy of the government. While certain extreme and radical government officials, such as J. Edgar Hoover, may have believed so, it was never an official government position.

And comparing American terrorists secreted abroad in a hostile country to Terry Nichols is absurd. Nichols was capturable, and was captured. .

In a perfect world, Fred, there would be no war, or for that, matter garden variety homicide. But obviously, a perfect world is a fantasy. We as humans must deal with the circumstances as we find them. The problem with treating American terrorists like common criminals is that they would never be caught. Our intelligence is good enough to sometimes locate them. But sending in a team of Navy Seals to capture and bring them back alive is a difficult, if not impossible task.

Due process is not a static concept. Implicit in any due process analysis is the question: "What process is due under the circumstances." And when we are engaged in an unprecedented war with religious and suicidal fanatics who are intent on destroying us, those facts must be figured in the calculus.

Today, I cannot imagine a civilized and rational intellectual opposing the Nuremberg Principles, but the fact of the matter is that those principles were created specifically to deal with unprecedented issues of international law. The legal principle of "crimes against humanity" did not exist before Nuremberg, ayet the modern legal concept prohibiting the implementation of ex post facto laws was modified to accommodate the Nuremberg principles. American Constitutional Law has been in a constant state of flux and evolution since our nations founding. I would have no problem with a Supreme Court decision declaring that the actions of these American terrorists were in effect a renouncement of their citizenship, thereby removing them from the umbrella of rights enjoyed by all citizens. In fact, that very principle has been used by the Obama administration to support the drone attacks.

Life liberty and property may not be taken without due process of law. But historically, the US Supreme Court has modified those rights, specifically during times of national emergency, such as war.

Abdulrahman Al-Awlaki's death was an accident. Accidents happen in life, Fred. Millions of innocent people have been killed in wars. Your argument is a garden variety red herring.

Gregory Newman 1 year, 7 months ago

its obvious you flunked American government. Congress passes laws not the president and they don't like him. You are another one of those that would rather believe a lie than the truth. Controls were in place even before GW Bush. Like NAFTA/GATT which Clinton got suckered into signing. Plus wall street has done better than anytime in history so ask them for a job. People are getting food stamps because he chose to give it. If it was left up to the repugs folks would starve. No one was working in the 8 yrs with Bush. I just retired from SSA he is cutting COLA to SS. Quit watching Faux

Deb Engstrom 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope you're being sarcastic. I'm going to assume that you are.

Yeah, right. I am sure a rational, intelligent and Harvard educated man like Barrack Obama is intent on destroying America from within. You need to buy yourself a new tin hat, oletimer. The one you are wearing is hopelessly outdated.

One of the reasons our country is in such bad shape is that some of our leaders and politicians spew intelligently dishonest crap that ignorant people like you buy hook, line and sinker.

Joe Biden comes to mind, yes I'd have to agree with you on that last point.

My allergies are really bad right now, so please don't write the words fresh air to me. President Obama is not tearing down the country. Some deride his past as a community organizer, but his experience at that level let him know exactly what the people are thinking and what they want done. It is not such a stretch to parlay those skills to the presidency.

No one is ever going to tear down this country. We are strong, individually and in the whole because of our great diversity and our willingness to converse with each other about our ideas, both to share and to persuade.

There are people who need help and problems to be solved, always have been, always will be. Life is an ongoing process, as is governing a country, you have to get up and do it every day.

Dan Blomgren 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope he does what he says instead of just using the bully pulpit to blow out more rhetoric

"President Barack Obama will be visiting Kansas University on Friday, officials announced."

This needs to be changed. Kansas University and the University of Kansas (KU) are two different schools.

Think average person with average intelligence knows they are one and the same. But maybe not.

Since when?????? Both sit atop Mount Oread in the center of Lawrence, Kansas.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 7 months ago

LJWorld likes to use Kansas University. They're weird like that. They're the same thing though.

chootspa 1 year, 7 months ago

Stupidest style guide ever. I guess they assume that people can't figure out that KU and University of Kansas are one in the same.

kuhlman 1 year, 7 months ago

The choice of using "Kansas University" was probably made in the 1800s or early 1900s, whenever the paper was founded. You know, back when they had to physically lay out type for an article, and not just quickly shuffle things around on a computer screen. And since "Kansas University" takes up a lot less space than "University of Kansas" and still gets the point across since everyone in their readership should be incredibly familiar with the school, I suppose that's why they went with it, so that the title of this thing they have to reference in articles all the time causes less layout problems.

I had no idea they are the same. Kansas State University, commonly shortened to K-State, is an institution of higher learning located in Manhattan, Kansas, in the United States. I missed the State part for some reason. I thought the school in Manhattan is Kansas University.

I will do penance for my error. I can only ask for forgiveness.

"KU" takes up even less space than "Kansas University," which isn't the name of the university or a common way to write it out anywhere. AP changes their style guide all the time. I don't think it's a stretch to get the LJW to update theirs once every hundred years or so.

kuhlman 1 year, 7 months ago

They allow themselves to use KU after the full name of the university has already been used once in the article, which is consistent with AP style and how the university is quite often referred to, through many outlets and not just the Journal-World.

5thStPhoggers 1 year, 7 months ago

Funny how the powers that be in Topeka (and the rest of the state) want no part of Lawrence politically unless it involves redistricting aka gerrymandering. But, throw in a photo op with the President and they'll be coming out of the woodwork to get over here. Maybe Brownback could bus over with the Fred Phelps clan. I'm not sure Sam has the guts to come to the "blue island in a sea of red." He'll probably make arrangements to be elsewhere. And well he should.

james bush 1 year, 7 months ago

What is it that little aeroplane costs per trip?..........nevermind i'm sure it will be worth it.

Adjusted for inflation, same as W's flyover of New Orleans.

Less the price of McCain's birthday cake.

overthemoon 1 year, 7 months ago

And if he never left Washington people would be complaining about that, too.

Keith 1 year, 7 months ago

Did you bitch about it when Bush flew home on the weekend?

Yes, W's should have been 1 way, would have saved country a lot of money if all communication was stopped at same time.

He should have never left Texas in the first place. THAT would have saved more than $$$

Bush was always flying home "for the weekend"

Ya mean BOTH aeroplanes, plus the three Marine Heilo's that accompany him (or advance him) plus all the limos and Police protection.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Very cool and exciting. It will be interesting to see what the "event" is, or what policy he might introduce with KU as a backdrop.

Mike Edson 1 year, 7 months ago

LJW-Any word on the President's motorcade route and how it will affect town traffic? It would be great to see the President's motorcade drive down Mass street up to KU.

Kathy Getto 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't believe they will be making this info public at this point. LOL

average 1 year, 7 months ago

Forbes Field, not KC. Better runway/terrain than MKC, not closing a commercial airport and closer than MCI.

More than likely he will land at KCI and fly over in Marine one and land near the Allen Fieldhouse. Then he will motor up to the Lied Center(guessing as this seems to be where they all go), speak for an hour have a photo op session, and then make the return trip to the Helo and then back to KCI. Every business along the motorcade route and landing site will have to close and possibly evacuated and the Sec Serv. will be in town 2-3 days ahead of him meeting with all the dignitaries and selecting the best route for the motorcade and securig same I was living in, and working in downtown Abilene when Pres Isenhouer made his final trip home, and the stores along the route Nixon was to take were given the alternative to shut down or be able to vouch for everyone in the building during the time of the funeral. We closed for the day.

kernal 1 year, 7 months ago

edson, I really doubt there will be a motorcade down Mass Street. The logistics and the security would be a huge headache for the Secret Service.

cowboy 1 year, 7 months ago

He's coming to get your guns loons. I'd spend all weekend burying them out in the yard if I was you. then hide in your basements until after he's left town so he doesn't have you hauled off to one of the secret concentration camps in a black helicopter.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh yea, Obama is bringing his FEMA troops with him that have Christianity detectors, so they know who to lock up.

Also he will be passing out cell phones to poor people and coupons for free abortions.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

He's coming so he can have a shootaround in Allen Fieldhouse and to see the Naismith Rules.

That would be so cool if Obama did play a little B-ball at Allen Fieldhouse, I hope we send him out an invitation to do that.

Maybe he could improve his 2 for 22 record?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

"Maybe he could improve his 2 for 22 record?"

If he could shoot that well, he could play point guard for KU.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 7 months ago

So you attack people that don't support obama then come back with "that would be so cool if he played a little basketball at Allen Fieldhouse"... Wow... Don't worry I am sure he will take time out if his day to meet Bill Self and play hoops with friends... I mean he took two vacations with no budget after all...

I'm not attacking anyone, just pointing out the obvious. You do realize Obama would have to take the next two years off to even come close to matching the number of vacation days Bush took during his two terms, right? And yeah, I do think it would be cool if Obama made a stop into Allen Fieldhouse. What is your point exactly?

I don't understand why people defend Obama by comparing him to Bush. His actions should stand alone. To say Obama is not as bad as Bush is like defending Stalin by saying he was not as bad as Hitler.

Bush was a bad president but that doesn't make Obama a good one. Obama has divided this country instead of uniting it. He promised to make us loved by the world again but has failed as evidenced by the killing of our diplomats, terrorist and attempted terrorist attacks against us.

Fred do you think we'll ever have a President that will make the rest of the world want to hold our hand and sing kumbaya with us? I think America will always have enemies and terrorist who attack us. We make comparisons between individuals because that is the best way to evaluate the differences between two similar things. Like when two people hold similar jobs. It makes sense to me why someone would want to compare Bush with Obama, how else would you suggest we evaluate him?

I suggest we evaluate him on his own merits. What he promised versus what he delivered. The economy under his policies. Did he unite the nation or did the nation continue to be divided under his administration? Did he do away with the unconstitutional policies enacted by Bush or did he continue those policies?

Did he accomplish anything that improved our country and benefitted the people?

This is how I evaluate him.

As for our standing in the world you are right to a degree but Obama promise he would improve our standing and so far he has failed.

If Bush was really bad, but Obama is not as bad as Bush, it doesn't make him good. He is still a bad president.

DefianceGal 1 year, 7 months ago

If he played..he would disrespect the game!

Jean Robart 1 year, 7 months ago

why in the world is he coming to Kansas again? Better he stay in DC and do do some real work.

Politicking IS work for someone of his stature.

Liberty275 1 year, 7 months ago

Kope he puts on a nice show for those of you that make it to see him.

danmoore 1 year, 7 months ago

"His mother and maternal grandparents were born in Kansas"

Really. I want to the see the birth certificates.

James Minor 1 year, 7 months ago

All Kansan's should be proud that President Obama is visiting Lawrence. Unfortunately, he has had to visit areas due to devastation and death. Coming to Lawrence and seeing an up and coming community is great.

What office is it that he's campaigning for?

PhilChiles 1 year, 7 months ago

After we won independence from Britain, I bet one of your ancestors was walking around complaining about all the fireworks.

I'm not proud that a Socialist-Communist is coming to Kansas! Never!

danmoore 1 year, 7 months ago

I find myself having to defend the embarassing policies of Kansas way too often but this is a good week. First Bill Maher in Topeka and then Obama in Lawrence. Sweet.

Lawrence 28 Square Miles of Reality Surrounded by Kansas

NoSpin 1 year, 7 months ago

Cool, he can take the original rules of basketball and "donate" them to a smaller, poorer, bad basketball school to be fair.

Actually, I'd rather he donate you to a more backward area of the country, like Texas or Arkansas, to be fair.

down_the_river 1 year, 7 months ago

Who was the last sitting President to visit Lawrence? Not sure Eisenhower made it. Was it Harding, or Roosevelt? Ford and Clinton were after the fact?

Read the article. It says Wilson in 1916.

down_the_river 1 year, 7 months ago

Actually, that part of the JW article was added after I posed the question. Glad to see they responded.

Lathrup 1 year, 7 months ago

When he stops by my house, we'll probably just chat about Local issues. He never wants to talk about Washington politics.

CreatureComforts 1 year, 7 months ago

My god I can't imagine what it's like to be so negative and miserable that you can't be excited that a sitting president, whether you like him or not, is visiting your city. I feel sorry for you people.

SgtSkull 1 year, 7 months ago

Just a nice picture of Elvis would be better!!!

Christine Pennewell Davis 1 year, 7 months ago

What time would be nice do not want to be driving during the madness of streets blocked off and all that goes into a Presidential visit. Call me crazy.

SgtSkull 1 year, 7 months ago

I wish he would just stay away from Lawrence. If you have ever been around a presidental visit it jams everything up. I guess Lawrence is about the only real welcoming community in Kansas for this dumb-ocrat.

Since Lawrence is dominated by Democrats, have you ever wondered if you should just stay away? Afterall, you have the rest of the Great American Desert to romp around in where your mindset is the majority.

homechanger 1 year, 7 months ago

Will the Lawrence peace coalition be out in force protesting all the war this president has perpetuated? Or are they just a bunch of hypocrites?

I have never seen them out "in force," even during the height of the war. Just a handful of picketers.

Quite an honor for KU and Lawrence, regardless of the letter "R" or :"D." The President of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is visiting our town!!!!

windjammer 1 year, 7 months ago

I can't beleive it Sychoplant I've been agreeing with you 100%.

I would like to meet him, shake his hand, and thank him for his service!!! Anyone who takes the Presidential office under the economic, environmental, political and health issues his administration took on, is commendable. Why he didn't quit and say let the Republicans fix it since they started this mess shows he is a tough guy willing to solve tough problems.

It takes time and the willingness of the people. The economic situation has improved but there is still a long way to go. At least the President is willing to admit that! The Bush administration commented on the Iraq war at some press conferences instead of discussing the economy as a means to distract the American people of the impending economic disaster.

What Service? He Wasn't Even In The Military And He Is The Head Of Our Military..Already Cut Funding To Them And Now N. Korea Wants Our Country On A Nuclear Platter.

I'd like to think that the purpose of the visit is for Obama to expound upon recent statements by the Chancellor about how crucial state funding is. Yes, one could imagine that he intends to describe the essential democratic function of public universities, and the dire threat to more financially accessible higher education posed by reduced state funding and rapidly climbing tuition.

And what better backdrop than Lawrence, a town founded as a bulwark of abolitionism and educated, progressive thought? And what better host than KU's first non-white male chancellor? And in what better example of a perilously regressive state than Kansas, with its 4th most unpopular governor in the country, and its deranged legislature with their increasingly mortifying attempts to return to the Wild West?

All the contrasts are perfectly aligned, so I'd be somewhat shocked if his address wasn't centered upon higher education funding. As for whether the legislature will pay any heed when it crafts the budget this summer, well, sadly, I'd sooner imagine these rubes becoming even more hostile and calloused about funding.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow, I kenw this one would bring the Republican Terrorists out!! Hate rules the day!!

I wonder what the hell he wants from bleeding, flyover Kansas? None of the rubes and hicks here voted for him.

Sorry Mr President, we just suffer from the stupidity and agenda of the Koch-Reich, Brownbackwards, Robber, Moron syndrome.

Keith 1 year, 7 months ago

Now there's a group that would benefit from a black helicopter ride.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't know how old you are, but insurance and prescription coverage has gotten worse every year, since I can remember. I remember dental insurance that would cover all sorts of things. That's why I wish we could have a single payer plan. No one there to make a profit. Just provide health care.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

warned yawl about obama and about obamacare, now you see I was right: taxes, economy still not fixed, he still wants to tax everything that moves (though this harms an ailing economy). and now he wants to use KU as one of his props, and have ignorant ill-informed fawning fainting loons cheering him here. hope most of the nation knows that lawrence is a very small island of blue in a large sea of red state!

his use of shooting victims and LEO's as props for example has been shameless.

jonas_opines 1 year, 7 months ago

Don't worry Gnome. Eventually -- maybe not in 2016 but eventually -- there will again be a Republican candidate that wins the election. He won't do anything substantially different from Obama or any of the other Democrats, but you will get to whole-heartedly support all of it because it will then be the right thing to do, or the fault of his/her predecessor, etc. etc. Just the same as you can see on this thread.

Mike Reid 1 year, 7 months ago

When the issue is all about shooting victims, it is hard not to "use them" when trying to work on a solution for a problem.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 7 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence, Mr. President.

Wouldn't it be nice to hear President Obama stop his corrupt, illegal agenda of "Gun Control" and stop pushing democrats to violate the Constitution with useless legislation that clearly violates the Bill of Rights.

We are happy and honored to have you visit the University of Kansas in Lawrence, President Obama.

"God", just how are they "violating" the Constitution???

The real "violators" are those that do not recognise the words "a WELL-REGULATED militia" in the Second Amendment!!. Free-for-all mass murder WAS NOT WHAT THE FRAMERS OF THE CONSTITUTION HAD IN MIND!! The modern day distortion of this phrase is the real problem. It says "WELL-REGULATED"!!! Do you not understand "WELL-REGULATED???????

Soooo, IGwt, you'd rather there be no gun control so anyone, criminal, terrorist, normal guy and gal on the street or criminally insane, can buy a gun on the internet or gun shows with no background check? Pffft. That ain't gonna work no more. And if you think you can protect yourself and others from the crazies, I doubt you can draw that fast.

The majority of people reason that we should not take away all guns from the population and that is NOT Obama's intent. All we want is better control of who has access. We know no act will be perfect, but what we have now is obviously not working. And don't give us the old cliche "Guns don't kill, people do". We know that and there lies part of the problem.

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 7 months ago

I am very pleased that Obama is coming to Lawrence next week.

But he should visit more than KU. He should visit various neighborhoods of Lawrence, see what the town is actually made of, not just KU which is a backwater of intellectual development.

KU has done nothing - still - to encourage on line classes, a reduction in student fees, and most importantly, real involvement with the towns people and with people of all ages. This has been true for years. The current chancellor has made no difference. KU is way behind the times.

Mike Reid 1 year, 7 months ago

Perhaps a little of your comment should be directed at the KS Legislature. They are the ones that keep cutting funding for education. "Real involvement with the towns people"... I really don't know what that means. KU people are involved across the community!

Why should he visit Lawrence neighborhoods? There's nothing special about them except to some of us in Lawrence. We have nothing new to offer the rest of the country. Many of the ideas we bring to Lawrence came from somewhere else. If there any neighborhoods that should be visited are those in Gary, IN and Detroit, MI, the dead cities.

arch007bak 1 year, 7 months ago

Whenever I read some of the comments being made here, I continue to be amazed how many people think this President or any other simply snaps their fingers and gets what they want. You do realize it's Congress that actually writes and passes laws right?

Without Congress' approval, there would have been no NAFTA, TARP, Patriot Act, ARRA, ACA, etc. I believe it was also the geniuses in Congress that came up with "freedom fries" if you recall that moment of idiocy.

Blame Bush all you want for the war in Iraq, but it was Congress that gave the authorization. Blame Obama all you want for what may happen with expanding background checks at gun shows and Internet sales, but it will only happen with Congressional approval.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

EXACTLY!!!! Tired of complicated taxes? Only Congress can change it. Tired of all that spending? Only Congress can change it. Yes, the President can veto bills, promote bills, suggest bills, but only Congress can actually do them. People think the President has all the power. Go back to Civics 101. Really, go back to elementary school.

Mad because the President and the Senate Democrats haven't produced a budget (which they have)? You can pass a budget, but no Congress has ever followed it. It's just symbolic. It's the appropriation bills that determine spending. Who is in charge of appropriation bills? The House. Who is running the House right now? Put the blame where it belongs and quit using the Presidents, yes, even Bush as the whipping boys.

John Kyle 1 year, 7 months ago

can you read? Bush came in 2008, 16 years after being a sitting president. The Lied center opened in 1993 AFTER he was out of office. Please explain how Bush spoke at the lied center before it was open.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 7 months ago

Does Lawrence still have that anarchist group that got in trouble in 2004? I would suggest they lay low Friday.

I will bet that Kobach will have his storm troopers out to disperse the flash mob of "illigal voters" in Kansas that voted for the President!!

LogicMan 1 year, 7 months ago

Hopefully he'll bring a couple bags full of freshly printed $100 bills to hand out! :-)

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 7 months ago

Thats going to have the traffic all screwed up.. Better plan on being late friday

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

Perhaps classes should be cancelled. It is going to be a nightmare getting around on campus or perhaps near to campus. Certainly anywhere near the Obama location.

The FBI and Secret Service will own the campus for a while. Likely on campus as we speak.

Message to President Obama - exercise your executive privilege to get the economy moving briskly. This GOP has no plans and will not work with you as a designated democrat. That has been their agenda since the day you were elected. The millions of jobless cannot afford the GOP and neither can the democratic party nor can the USA.

BTW Mr. President,

Other positions for which I subscribe that might garner some consideration from your respectful office.

The White House apparently is poised to cut Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security - Why? Petition - http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/gt_letter_update/

Social Security does not add one dime to the debt and the USA has 20 years to make adjustments. Why does the GOP hate golden agers?

--- Killing Social Security Insurance Is Not An Option and would wreck the economy. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2010/0111orr.html

--- SSI is Not Going Broke so lets move on to more important matters.
http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/david_cay_johnston_social_security_is_not_going_broke_20120504/

--- Killing Medicare Insurance is simply not an option it is much too efficient. http://www.thenation.com/article/159769/paul-ryans-plan-destroy-medicare

--- INSTEAD we improve medicare insurance to reduce the cost of government. Absolutely! Physicians for a National Health Program http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-resources http://www.healthcare-now.org

President Obama you and the Democrats have many more options in which to bring this economy around and put the GOP stonewalling out of business.

First off Uncle Sam, employ as many workers as necessary to rehab our nations federal highways and bridges that are 70 years old. Even if millions of workers are required. Spreads tax dollars throughout the nation = fiscally responsible

Second President Obama why not fill all the regulation enforcement vacancies that guard our food,pharmaceuticals,home loans, insurance industries etc etc etc. Fill the IRS vacancies as well. Again = Fiscally Responsible use of tax dollars.

Why not a Robin Hood tax? This is sensible. http://www.robinhoodtax.org

These adjustments to the budget = dollars and sense. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/11/10-easy-ways-avoid-fiscal-cliff

Time to put GOP stonewalling out of business. I should say so.

BillyGene 1 year, 7 months ago

After reading many of these comments, one thing is certain, political polarization is getting worse and after nearly 5 years of Obama the liberals are still talking about Geo. Bush rather than seeing that Obama is the one in charge of our current problems. Obama doesn't represent Kansan's tenants, ethics and philosophies - I do not know why he was invited.

As long as Obama is in office and we have a split House and Senate, nothing much good is going to happen other than immigration reform. Liberals say he has a mandate to spend and create more govenment control - it certainly wasn't a mandate in Kansas or 32 of the other 50 states that voted for Romney. Look at the red and blue counties accross the US - It is eacy to see that highly populated areas (Chicago, Detroit, LA, New York, Dade Co, etc) carried Obama to victory. You can do the demographics but all these areas are in trouble financially, especially Detroit. Why? The three things they have in common is high entitlement spending, liberal governments and cronyism. When someone can show me one good thing that Obama has done (other than kill Bin Laden) I will start being more open minded and less polarized.

KU Grad.

pfft he isn't doing anything but lying..making everyone poor and passing useless bills..wake up

For one..he didn't kill anyone..soldiers do that.

He carried Douglas County = sensible place to drop by. His message whatever it may be will be shared throughout Kansas,the nation and Topeka.... of course.

Sam Brownback will drop by BUT the question is why? Sam cannot be trusted.

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe Barry will tell us where the stimulus money went to merrill. I trust it went to all those jobs, jobs, jobs that were created - right ?

Time To Gather The Troops For An Anti-Obama Impeach Him Rally

Grab Your Torches And Pitch Forks!

The Socialist-Communist Is Coming To Town!

juma 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow! If I get to see him then that would be the second Kenyan who is President that I seen. Saw Moi years ago in London.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.