Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Adair wants focus on early childhood education

Comments

IreneAdler84 1 year ago

On her FB page, somebody asked her whether she planned to send her girls to a private school. She replied that they were currently in preschool and that she and her husband would make that decision "when the time comes."

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 1 month ago

At the public forum held at Free State high, when asked about the budget she responded "I'm not familiar with it". Step one of launching a school board campaign: familiarize yourself with the local ed budget.

GMom05 1 year, 1 month ago

Why exactly is she looking to put more Pre-K kids into programs in USD 497? What is wrong with the private and non-profit models that are out there? While, I agree there are better and worse centers out there, she appears to make a sweeping generalization that any preschool taught in USD 497 is a better choice than the choices currently available in Lawrence. Until she has spent significant time in each and every center in town, she has no business implying those facilities are not worthy of what the school district is able to do. In fact, just like many people feel a private school is better for their child's elementary education, why wouldn't it be the case that people feel private preschools also may have more to offer the children of Lawrence? It's fine to let people know it's there and an option, but to "advocate for parents enrolling their students in a pre-K program in the Lawrence public schools instead of looking at a private model or a daycare model." is just an unsubstantiated, biased sales tactic.

PFC 1 year, 1 month ago

I have heard that she does not plan to send her children to the Lawrence public schools. I do not know if this is true, but if so this is a problem (from my perspective). Perhaps she could tell us what school they will go to for K-5. I tend to agree that the excessive focus on pre-school is concerning. I have not seen anything (her website, this article, channel 6) to suggest that she understands the issues. I do agree that she seems like a very nice person.

frustratednks 1 year, 1 month ago

Her own kids do not attend the Lawrence Public Schools.

Cauac 1 year, 1 month ago

At the recent forum she was asked her position on Wakarusa Valley. Support or oppose the closing, and even if I disagree, the candidate has thought about it. But she lost my vote when she said that she didn't know what that was. Her responses here have not won it back. Getting new vendors to offset state cuts? Pre-school is important, but what about the other levels of education? And if you are successful in getting all these kids into the system, where do you put them? Three additional classrooms are not going to do it. At the forum she seemed like a very nice person, but she hasn't been paying attention to the issues, and doesn't seem to know much about the district beyond pre-K.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.