Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Rental inspection proposal stalls, will be revisited

Comments

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 4 months ago

So why is the city keeping Dekosky vs. City of Lawrence under wraps? Hush, hush!

joes_donuts 1 year, 4 months ago

I will bite... What is Dekosky vs City of Lawrence?

Bladerunner 1 year, 4 months ago

“This issue is about courage, leadership and safety,” said Tom Harper, I cough (Bull$4i7!!)

Ummmm. 18,000 rental units would require adding 3 or 4 additional people to the cities payroll....This issue can be addressed using current the system that is currently in place, but by all means..."Courageously" grow local government and spend spend spend! Idiot!

joes_donuts 1 year, 4 months ago

Tom Harper needs to go back to selling "unique" houses, and stay out of the rental business. He said there are plenty of people wanting to buy rentals if landlords don't want to fix them, but he really showed his ignorance on the subject because most of those would be non-conforming if this law goes thru.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

If the idea of inspecting 18,000 units makes Mr. Dever's head explode, he isn't qualified to be a city commissioner.

How can he possibly deal with all of the issues in Lawrence, a town of about 90,000 people?

The only way that I could possibly support the idea of just "educating" tenants about their rights would be if there were clear and strong protections for them from landlord retaliation if they do complain, but I'm sure that attorneys for landlords, etc. would oppose those.

Regular inspections of all rental units is the best way to go, in my view. In addition, instead of just shutting down the rentals if landlords don't comply, I'd like to see the city fix the problems and charge the landlords for that.

City health and safety requirements are extraordinarily basic - any landlord who can't comply with them shouldn't be in that business.

Catalano 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, Dever didn't have a problem "wrapping his head around" a cool $25M+ for RCP earlier in the evening.

workinghard 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes, tenants can report a landlord and get an inspection. There's just one problem. The case only remains open as long as that tenant lives there. If the landlord says the repairs cannot be made while someone is living there and lets the tenant out of the lease and gives them their deposit and unused rent back and the tenant moves, the case is closed. The landlord no longer is in violation and he is free to rent it out the next day. Close this loophole and many problem apartments will be brought up to code.

lunatic 1 year, 4 months ago

How many complaints were filed last year? Answer. 8. This is a solution looking for a problem.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.