Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Rental inspection proposal stalls, will be revisited

Comments

lunatic 1 year, 1 month ago

How many complaints were filed last year? Answer. 8. This is a solution looking for a problem.

workinghard 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, tenants can report a landlord and get an inspection. There's just one problem. The case only remains open as long as that tenant lives there. If the landlord says the repairs cannot be made while someone is living there and lets the tenant out of the lease and gives them their deposit and unused rent back and the tenant moves, the case is closed. The landlord no longer is in violation and he is free to rent it out the next day. Close this loophole and many problem apartments will be brought up to code.

jafs 1 year, 1 month ago

If the idea of inspecting 18,000 units makes Mr. Dever's head explode, he isn't qualified to be a city commissioner.

How can he possibly deal with all of the issues in Lawrence, a town of about 90,000 people?

The only way that I could possibly support the idea of just "educating" tenants about their rights would be if there were clear and strong protections for them from landlord retaliation if they do complain, but I'm sure that attorneys for landlords, etc. would oppose those.

Regular inspections of all rental units is the best way to go, in my view. In addition, instead of just shutting down the rentals if landlords don't comply, I'd like to see the city fix the problems and charge the landlords for that.

City health and safety requirements are extraordinarily basic - any landlord who can't comply with them shouldn't be in that business.

mikekt 1 year, 1 month ago

Poor landlords,.....who will just pass the inspection $ costs on to the tenants .... BOO HOO !!!

But what the landlords are really afraid of is the $ cost of being made to fix deficiencies, that they know exist, as is !!!

They care less about the tenant who lives there, as long as the rent is paid .

Poor City Commission, .....being asked to regulate people who'd prefer to do their business as usual,.... unfettered by any social responsibility, ....who know how to make uppity tenants disappear .

Tip to prospective tenants.......look for online reviews of landlords....yea !...encourage your friends to do likewise......because else wise you are renting blind and you'll end up benefiting some low life property types who prey on tenants on a regular basis & hide behind the right to boot you out, screw you over on your deposit, etc..

I very seriously doubt that any landlord is going to abandon doing business in Lawrence Ks because they are regulated and inspected by the city .

And the good landlords can always point to the fact that the city never faults them on anything, as an advertising tool !

Truthfully, I would like to see city inspection results posted on line, so that the public could spot the consistently bad landlords, who'd show up again and again,.... and the good ones, as well .

Who would that idea scare who had nothing to hide ? Hummmmmm?

Would you want to eat at a restaurant, shop at a grocery store meat counter, or be a patient at a hospital, that was never inspected or accredited ?

Bladerunner 1 year, 1 month ago

“This issue is about courage, leadership and safety,” said Tom Harper, I cough (Bull$4i7!!)

Ummmm. 18,000 rental units would require adding 3 or 4 additional people to the cities payroll....This issue can be addressed using current the system that is currently in place, but by all means..."Courageously" grow local government and spend spend spend! Idiot!

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 1 month ago

So why is the city keeping Dekosky vs. City of Lawrence under wraps? Hush, hush!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.