Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Bill limiting collective bargaining for Kansas teachers draws fire

Comments

weeslicket 1 year, 1 month ago

the argument from the statehouse seems to be: 1) gut unions; 2) then districts/boards/superintendents will have the ability to slash teaching salaries, increase work demands, and eliminate health insurance coverage (to name a few formerly negotiable items); 3) and then, highly qualified teachers will simply flood into kansas.

of course, it's also possible that the actual intent of these laws is: 1) then 2) then 3) finally! we have destroyed public education in the state of kansas!

handlon 1 year, 1 month ago

I retire in a few years after 25 years. I LOVE my students, but the politics and extra crud is wearing me out. I might have stayed longer, but won't now, especially with the direction our legislature is headed. And I see the young people entering the field and wonder how long they will last. Sad. In the past I have been proud to be a Kansas educator because our schools have had a good reputation , but that may not last.

dabbindan 1 year, 1 month ago

to echo the first post. if the climate for teachers continues to be one of antagonism and hostility, there will be fewer and fewer quality humans interested in becoming teachers. my teacher spouse who comes home1 to 2 hours AFTER her duty day ends nearly every day and often spends several hours a week in the evenings at home to be a BETTER teacher is feeling discouraged. and it's especially discouraging when you put your heart into it as she does. you can only listen to the blame for all of educations problems being heaped on you for so long before it begins to wear you out.

education may lose her sooner than she had originally intended. and there may not be many willing to take her place.

donttreadonme 1 year, 1 month ago

What is getting lost in the ongoing demonization of teachers and their union, is the fact that the Kansas Association of School Boards and school superintendents are now getting their way. In the past, they have opposed vouchers and cuts to per student funding, and now they are doing everything to cut teacher benefits and salaries.

All the while, they contribute nothing to the classroom environment and draw fat salaries (and in the case of Ottawa, for literally doing nothing). With the ALEC drones on their side, they are pushing their agenda. Why doesn't anyone ask for them to be accountable? Because too many suckers fall for the union "thugs" propaganda.

I'm pretty sure my kid's first grade teacher is not a thug. Not so sure about the superintendent, though.

daviskan 1 year, 1 month ago

So the Far "Righteous" legislators want to limit teachers right to have collective bargaining and then let them carry guns. Might want to think about that.

Dan Eyler 1 year, 1 month ago

I think what I hear from the school administrators is the need to make business decisions that are not always popular with teachers. In today's environment flexibility is necessary and the teachers union and collective bargaining slows or prevents certain decisions from moving forward. Teachers argue that by collective bargaining they have the best interests of the schools and children at heart. I imagine some of that is true but for the most part collective bargaining is motivated by self interest more than a focus on the great good. Clearly administrators operate on the same principle. But in the end managers and administrators and business owners must make decisions and change direction as necessary for the success of the business. Yes schools are businesses and to survive they have to be managed in a more business fashion. Being restrained by the employees through collective bargaining is much like the tail wagging the dog. In our educational system this has been going on for way to long. I do feel for the teachers and their unions, because it's tough to go from the drivers seat to the passenger seat where you're pretty much along for the ride now. But being along for the ride doesn't mean your world is going to come to an end so stop behaving that way.

Liberty275 1 year, 1 month ago

"Or enough that they don't have to purchase classroom supplies out of their own pocket"

I have a fishing buddy that works as a mechanic. Every month he spends $300 on tools to keep up with the changing technology in the cars he fixes.

How much of their money do teaches spend each month on their job?

situveux1 1 year, 1 month ago

Teachers not paid enough? Isn't that complaint everyone has. How much should teachers be paid? Name your price...

texburgh 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, no collective bargaining for the greedy school teachers yet down in Ottawa, the superintendent quits but is still receiving $10,899/month plus benefits for no work. Yes, schools will be much more efficient if we get rid of collective bargaining..

Mike1949 1 year, 1 month ago

If I remember right, if it were not for collective bargaining, we would still have sweat shops. Like I have said before, the republicans take over, may as well kiss your freedom away!

rtwngr 1 year, 1 month ago

Public employees should not be collective bargaining.

question4u 1 year, 1 month ago

So, all you undergraduates out there who haven't declared a major yet, make sure to give some thought to going into education and becoming a teacher in Kansas schools!

Sure, the pay isn't great; it's only a matter of time before the pension system collapses from underfunding; the Legislature is determined to follow its orders from the Chamber of Commerce and take away collective bargaining rights; you'll be subjected to even more scrutiny in assessments; you'll have to throw out your idealism and innovation in order to teach to the test; and you'll get to hear that you're lazy from from anyone and everyone who has no idea what you do. You'll be held responsible for all of the problems that emerge as the Chamber of Commerce's slash-and-burn campaign against education starts to drag schools down to the level of those in Texas or Louisiana.

The plus side is that you'll get to carry out the Legislature's mandate for a "celebrate freedom week." If you decide to teach science, and Representative Hedke gets his way, you'll get to incorporate the oil industry's denial of global warming into your class lectures. Haven't you always wondered what it must have been like to teach in Soviet schools? No you'll have the chance to find out.

So, if you're a masochist, go for it! Kansas legislators probably won't literally spit on you. No doubt that's just metaphorical.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.