Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Under bill, concealed carry of guns would be decided by school boards, university leaders

Comments

oldexbeat 1 year, 1 month ago

Since a few of the message posters might want guns in every classroom, I am confused about a few points and would like to ask questions.

When we have those guns in our schools with the well trained and no doubt regulated militia of non-"union thug" teachers -- questions:

Will gun safes be in each classroom with touch pads ? Or open carry ? Will the guns be pretty colors, like those new fun toy like Ruger pink ones? If the gun falls out, will show-and-tell sessions start right away? Will cleaning the teachers' guns become the skill set of the 2nd grade ? If a teacher's gun in a classroom hurts a student -- totally by accident -- will the entire USD Board be criminally involved, or just the teacher and local principal?

Just asking.

nominalize 1 year, 1 month ago

Anyone miss the most ridiculous part? They exempt universities from the law to preserve the "freedom of any particular university," but ONLY FOR FOUR YEARS. After that, well, the state legislature knows best, apparently, not the institutions themselves nor the communities that use them.

In Texas they passed a similar bill, with no exemptions at all... it looks like the Kansas GOP's feeble attempt to out-Texas Texas is moving along at full speed.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 1 month ago

So, the police should give up their guns?, Alyosha? Are the police not 'good guys with guns'? Open mouth, insert foot?

rockchalk1977 1 year, 1 month ago

South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard signed a bill allowing teachers to carry guns in school, making his state the first to enact such a law.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/08/sd-governor-signs-bill-allowing-teachers-to-be-armed/

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 1 month ago

Based on the amount of gun sales I think it is clear that the gun haters are in the minority and that is something they cannot accept. The fact that law abiding citizens are not crazy and irresponsible gun fanatics does not quite align with their gun hating hysteria.

I think a lot of this hysteria is politically motivated and is not helpful.

I am in favor of background checks and I think most Americans and gun owners do not have a problem with this. The way we manage this is the larger issue. We are not going to sit down and work out a practical solution as long as gun hating hysteria is dominating the conversations.

The Patriot Act is a good example of how government can be hard to control and I do not believe we have fully comprehended how much our privacy has been effected by it. In the same way, we cannot allow fear to cause us to give up our American style freedoms.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 1 month ago

I keep a loaded handgun at my office. I keep it there because some unhappy people do not like lawyers if they came out on the wrong end of a civil or criminal action. I have had contemporaries threatened by irate clients, parents on the other side of a custody action, biker drug dealers and general scum bags. I am a lawyer, I have a concealed carry license. I have had clients who are crazy and you cannot predict what they will do. Yes, I keep one at home secured away. I do not carry a weapon when out and about. I do not consume alcohol when I am carrying. I am a combat vet and have been shot at and and shot back. Shooting someone is not done lightly. It is probably why when I deer hunt, I never shoot a deer.

Our universities should be allowed to determine gun policy on campus.

50YearResident 1 year, 1 month ago

I've said this before and I will say it again, do you gun haters actually know who is carrying guns in Douglas County? It is your Doctor, your Lawyer, your Business Owner and probably your next door neighbor. Would you repeat these nasty gun owner remarks to their face? I think not. Gun owners are everyday people that you already know and trust. Have they killed or wounded anyone lately? No, they have not. So maybe you need to quit worrying about what "could" happen and start thinking about what is happening. The CC program has been in effect for 5 years now and none of your concerns have happened yet. Relax!

cheeseburger 1 year, 1 month ago

I might work on that headline a bit, Scott. Perhaps inserting 'on school campuses' after 'concealed carry of guns' would make the headline factual.

elliottaw 1 year, 1 month ago

When is the last time you have been in a situation where you thought geee I could really use a gun right about now........yeah I'm guessing never.

JJE007 1 year, 1 month ago

My fear of law abiding citizens who legally obtain the right to carry concealed should deny those people that legal right. Their fear of being at the mercy of a criminal is irrational and proves that they cannot be trusted to carry a gun.

Is that what I'm hearing?

How many people have been accidentally shot by someone carrying concealed, compared to how many have been killed or injured by criminals?

Who is irrational?

I know the answer to that. It's "Some of us are quite irrational, some of us are less irrational and many of us ride the bell curve of rationality, like a roller coaster, throughout each day."

I say we wait until the sky is actually falling before we begin shoring it up with 2x4s, but that's just me. I'm not very proactive.

ANYwho... Proceed with the promotion of your particular fears, and good luck with that.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 1 month ago

NELSON, Ga. — Every homeowner in a local town could soon have to own a gun or break the law.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/city-looks-make-gun-ownership-mandatory/nWhgr/

I like it! The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

elliottaw 1 year, 1 month ago

As long as they let the general public know if their teachers will be carrying guns, because I will be pulling my kids out of those schools. This isn't nazi germany I don't want my kids surround by guns at all times, it only leads to more death. If guns really kept people safe then Africa would be one of the safest places in the world.

Hardhawk1 1 year, 1 month ago

Drones are the answer. Every school and university could have their own. Fire away at the first sign of trouble.

greatgatsby 1 year, 1 month ago

After reading so many articles on this web site it appears that people think that CC holders are wild west gun fighters who jump for any chance to pull their firearm. This, however, is simply not true. In my KS CC class we were told that we "need to decide who you would pull your weapon for, who you would be willing to possibly kill for, who you would be willing to go to jail for." I'm telling you, if you are not my family, my closest friends, or a child you're out of luck. If put in the situation where I could attempt to intervene and help someone, I'm still not willing to accidentally shoot an innocent bystander or even a perpetrator to save someone I don't know because the risk is so very high for me.
On a side note, I realize that that is going to sound really cold to the some people, and in my experience those are the same people who are on this site being anti gun, which is very hypocritical.

Karl_Hungus 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, I guess if they can't spend their paychecks the way they want (being Govt. employees) might as well give the ability to carry guns.....

Myth #4: More good guys with guns can stop rampaging bad guys. Fact-check: Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 30 years: 0 • Chances that a shooting at an ER involves guns taken from guards: 1 in 5

Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer. Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun. • For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home. • 43% of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm. • In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boys who found a handgun pulled the trigger.

Myth #6: Carrying a gun for self-defense makes you safer. Fact-check: In 2011, nearly 10 times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime. • In one survey, nearly 1% of Americans reported using guns to defend themselves or their property. However, a closer look at their claims found that more than 50% involved using guns in an aggressive manner, such as escalating an argument. • A Philadelphia study found that the odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/pro-gun-myths-fact-check

and many many more SOURCED FACTS....not hunches or guesses but hey, when has a zealot every listened to any fact(s) Ever find those weapons of mass destruction hiding in Iraq?

KansasLiberal 1 year, 1 month ago

What are these gun-nuts so afraid of?

KSManimal 1 year, 1 month ago

"State Rep. Steve Brunk, R-Wichita, said he didn't want the decision for universities left up to the Kansas Board of Regents, which opposes concealed-carry in higher education facilities. "It disallows the freedom of any particular university," Brunk said."

I wonder how Steve "local control" Brunk will vote on HB 2027; which includes the following language:

"(5) All negotiated agreements between boards of education and teachers' associations in existence as of the effective date of this act shall be void and unenforceable in all aspects relating to terms and conditions of employment,"

HB 2027 is being heard in committee this afternoon. Brunk is on the committee. Betcha Mr. "no cognitive dissonance here" Brunk supports it.

derkle 1 year, 1 month ago

It's too bad the gun control nut-jobs can't understand that it's going to be concealed carry holders who will save their lives in moments of utter terror. "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away..."

seventeen 1 year, 1 month ago

Sorry...but it's Gray-Little.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.