Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Ottawa woman, 60, sentenced to 25 years for dealing prescription drugs

Comments

Alceste 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, it is. What's more depressing is the reality nobody really seems to care: We're letting that happen:

Between 1970 - - - - 2010 the "drug addiction rate" within the USA has been, essentially static going from anywhere from .5% to 2% of the population. During that same period of time, the amount of money used by various government entities to "battle the problem" has risen from Just under $2billion annual beginning in 1970 and climbing each year such that by 2010 we are spending over $20billion annually on the very same issue.

Too, not included in the "drug addiction rate" are those people are the current drugs of choice by the pill peddlers in mental health and general medicine: The SSRI "happy pills" oh so many are quite dangerously addicted to: The Zolofts; the Paxils; the Abilifys; the Prozacs; the Lexapros and on and on and on.....the SSRI family of drugs in conjunction with the SNRI drugs (Effexor, Cymbalta, et. all). These are the drugs to monitor because there have been no longitudinal studies done on them and yet they are given out in Rx format like candy. Incredible.

Alceste 1 year, 1 month ago

U.S. drug addiction rate, 1970 - - - 2010 vs U.S. drug control spending, 1970 - 2010 :

Click on the link below to see the graphed results......

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2012/10/12/drug-spending-v-addiction.gif:

Stain 1 year, 1 month ago

Good.

Prescriptions drugs can kill. It is a tragedy how easy it is for anyone to buy illegal pills in this city.

A young person I knew died recently, from a prescription drug he bought illegally.

notajayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

"Of the nine other defendants in the case, one has been sentenced to five years of probation and eight await sentencing."

Now, boys and girls, can you point to which one of these ten people turned federal witness?

reality_check79 1 year, 1 month ago

At a cost between 40,000-45,000 TAX dollars to house an inmate for a year this seems a bit steep...

PwopellewCap 1 year, 1 month ago

I didn't know The Yellow House had a branch in Ottawa...

ottawaway 1 year, 1 month ago

Three of the defendants in this case are her daughters. They were all pushing drugs for her & lived in 2 rental homes of several that she owned. The youngest still lived in the mothers residence which were all confinscated. From my understanding they were crushing hydrocodone,oxycodone,methodone & morphine & combining them with methamphetamine to make a very deadly combination and passing it off as just methamphetamine. This woman hasn't worked in years & her & her boyfriend were driving new Escalades. This woman has been at this for years & was first being investigated for making & forging prescriptions which led to all the other investigation.

Karl_Hungus 1 year, 1 month ago

Prescription drugs are more of a problem in America than heroin and cocaine combined(Americans use 80% of the worlds pain pills) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142481/Americans-consume-80-percent-worlds-pain-pills-prescription-drug-abuse-epidemic-explodes.html

Now, if you want to talk about the biggest pushers of death and healthcare costs, look no further than McD's, BK, Pizza Hut, KFC and many more. No one forces a person to take drugs just like no one forces a person to eat a triple baconator, free will, but the lifestyles of both do come with consequences (like a shorter life span) and costs the tax payers more money.... So, making drugs illegal is for our greater good then shouldn't fast food at least have regulations like how the tobacco/alcohol companies do? I mean, if drugs are outlawed for our safety, much like having to wear a seatbelt is for our safety, then shouldn't fast food, and everything else that is harmful for that matter, be illegal as well...I mean, if the Govt. is truely trying to make us safer.....

Kat Christian 1 year, 1 month ago

Our Judical system is as broken (if not moreso) than our healthcare system. Sort of on the same parallel as our economic system. These systems are customized for the wealthy. The rest are either left out, locked up or left to die. I truly wish one day President and Congress is elected who will tackle a reorganization of our Judical System and improve it to true equality. However, this is just huge pipe dream.

meatheadwisdom 1 year, 1 month ago

It's a heavy sentence because it is a FEDERAL case, not a local one. If it were a federal care involving illegal weapons, it would be a big deal too. The US Attorney does not tend to take losing cases.

Haiku_Cuckoo 1 year, 1 month ago

She won't serve anywhere near 25 years. She made her bed, let her lie in it.

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 1 month ago

"Of the nine other defendants in the case, one has been sentenced to five years of probation ". Seriously?

Pancake_Pusher 1 year, 1 month ago

I've knowed Mama Edwards my whole life and she never tried to hurt no one. She was always trying to help people who had legitimete pains and who couldn't afford a doctors proscribtions. She knew alot about pain and would cure it for you if she could. God bless you Mama Edwards.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 1 month ago

The natural consequences of her actions.

cowboy 1 year, 1 month ago

How many lives did she ruin , let her rot

Bob Forer 1 year, 1 month ago

Sell legally manufactured drugs to a willing buyer and the penalty is 25 years. I don't consider the addict who died a "true victim." But if you are a wealthy, white collar criminal and steal millions, thereby financially damaging truly innocent folks, the sentence is usually much less severe. Our criminal justice system is patently unfair.

snitty 1 year, 1 month ago

An absurdly heavy sentence.

Brock Masters 1 year, 1 month ago

And yet someone caught illegally with a gun gets probation.

Maybe her sentence is just but damn we let others off easy.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.