Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Ottawa woman, 60, sentenced to 25 years for dealing prescription drugs

Comments

Fred Mertz 1 year, 9 months ago

And yet someone caught illegally with a gun gets probation.

Maybe her sentence is just but damn we let others off easy.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 9 months ago

Tell that to the family of the deceased man whom she sold the drugs to. Untill you have been there, then stick a cork in it.

kawrivercrow 1 year, 9 months ago

(Per other sources)

No, she didn't force him. Instead she mixed a bunch of random opiates together and knowingly sold it to him as methamphetamine. He fatally overdosed on the opiates because of her dishonesty.

Sometimes the difference between a careful, honest drug dealer and a reckless, dishonest drug dealer is the difference between a drug dealer and a murderer.

Liberty275 1 year, 9 months ago

Isn't meth speed? How could someone confuse the effects of opiates with meth? They are pretty much opposites.

I have various issues with my back, with stones for a while and recently with a sinus infection. The sinus infection was nasty and prevented me from sleeping. Percocet offered about an hour of relief so I added a Tylenol here and there without watching the math. I stayed below 4000mg a day, for 3 says, but in long term use, that much is way too much.

Opiates will stop your breathing and parametics can breath for you. Acetaminophen destroys your liver and short of a transplant, nothing can be done except keeping you pumped full of morphine until you die. The new recommendation is a maximum of 3000 mg of acetaminophen/day. No matter what you take, if it has acetaminophen, keep track and do not take more than the bottle say's or than your doctor advises.

If you are going to worry about drugs, worry about the right drugs.

jonas_opines 1 year, 9 months ago

"He struggled with addiction for years and that Probably is no ones fault."

No. It's one person's fault.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 9 months ago

If you knew anything at all, you would know that addiction is an illness just like any other illness. If one were to assume your logic, its the cancer patients fault for having cancer. Your probably one of two things; the guy who thinks drugs should be legal and that they are harmless. If your not that, your probably some well to do prick living in West Lawrence who has had a silver spoon stuck up your keester and have never had to work for anything a day in your life. You obviously have never been exposed to drugs and alcohol or witnessed what it can and will do to a family let alone what it does to someone who has struggled with addiction for lengthy periods of time. Do you really think that people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol asked for that problem, or that they thought that for a minute that they couldn't stop; or choose to continue that life because they choose to? If so, you should educate yourself. I have known several addicts in my life and yes they made some poor choices and most will tell you "I'm sorry or I wish I could change things, or I wish I hadn't done the things I did". My dad hated his past and tried very hard to make it right. He was clean several times throughout his life. He did make some poor choices like many other addicts do. But that doesn't mean someone should get a slap on the wrist for selling dope. 25 years for selling illegal drugs and helping put someone to deah sounds about right to me. Of course, your probably above such mundane thoughts like that. When you have spent 35 years witnessing your family being torn apart and trying to help someone overcome drugs and alcohol, then maybe, just maybe you might have something to offer this discussion. Untill then, you have no idea.

jonas_opines 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow, you sure learned a Whole lot about me through that five-word post, didn't you?

FYI: Of a set of five of my friends in high school, two burned out and wound up in halfway houses, one committed suicide at age 27, and the other two . . . sucked it up, quit the drugs, and went on to lead good lives, so far at least.

Claiming drug addiction is an illness disempowers the addict and removes control from themselves to some other phantom agent. Doing that makes it far more difficult to ever break the cycle of addiction. It's hard enough to do when you're not convincing yourself that it's not your fault and is out of your complete control.

If he went to the ER with a sprained ankle and got a script for 25 vicodins, and took enough to kill him, I wonder if they would sentence Lawrence Memorial to 25 years?

The sentence is absurd.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 9 months ago

I've lost two siblings to overdoses of prescription drugs bought from someone just like this woman. Life wouldn't be a heavy enough sentence as far as I'm concerned. I know my siblings are equally as responsible as the person they bought the drugs from, but what kind of person profits off the heartache of others?

I'm sorry for your loss. I won't argue your opinion in the sentencing because my opinion here is too irrelevant to express in the face of your loss.

As for the person, she is a petty criminal that you would have never known existed except for the role she played in making possible an accidental death.

Bob Forer 1 year, 9 months ago

Sell legally manufactured drugs to a willing buyer and the penalty is 25 years. I don't consider the addict who died a "true victim." But if you are a wealthy, white collar criminal and steal millions, thereby financially damaging truly innocent folks, the sentence is usually much less severe. Our criminal justice system is patently unfair.

cowboy 1 year, 9 months ago

How many lives did she ruin , let her rot

rwwilly 1 year, 9 months ago

Do you know the circumstances of this case? How much was sold, were the drugs "legal", how did she aquire them?, did she recruit others, did she sell to minors?, etc. How do you know the her clients weren't addicts? Were you at the hearing, trial? She a major dealer it sounds like to me. You get a grip.

Bob Forer 1 year, 9 months ago

It's called free will, i.e., choice. Yes, there should be penalties for selling illegal drugs, but the lives she allegedly ruined are not without blame themselves as well. If she is to rot, so too should the rich white collar criminals who destroy truly innocent people.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

The natural consequences of her actions.

Haiku_Cuckoo 1 year, 9 months ago

She won't serve anywhere near 25 years. She made her bed, let her lie in it.

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 9 months ago

Actually, because it's a federal prison sentence, she will serve at least 85 percent of that time. There is no parole in the federal system, only 15 percent off for good behavior. Ian LJW.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

What is the life expectancy for 60 year old women entering federal prisons? If it's less than 21.25 years, then she won't serve her entire sentence.

meatheadwisdom 1 year, 9 months ago

It's a heavy sentence because it is a FEDERAL case, not a local one. If it were a federal care involving illegal weapons, it would be a big deal too. The US Attorney does not tend to take losing cases.

Kat Christian 1 year, 9 months ago

Our Judical system is as broken (if not moreso) than our healthcare system. Sort of on the same parallel as our economic system. These systems are customized for the wealthy. The rest are either left out, locked up or left to die. I truly wish one day President and Congress is elected who will tackle a reorganization of our Judical System and improve it to true equality. However, this is just huge pipe dream.

ottawaway 1 year, 9 months ago

Three of the defendants in this case are her daughters. They were all pushing drugs for her & lived in 2 rental homes of several that she owned. The youngest still lived in the mothers residence which were all confinscated. From my understanding they were crushing hydrocodone,oxycodone,methodone & morphine & combining them with methamphetamine to make a very deadly combination and passing it off as just methamphetamine. This woman hasn't worked in years & her & her boyfriend were driving new Escalades. This woman has been at this for years & was first being investigated for making & forging prescriptions which led to all the other investigation.

ottawaway 1 year, 9 months ago

The addicts in Ottawa wanted meth, not pills. The 2 big meth dealers here were taken down by the feds in 2008 & that put quite a bit of damper on the meth here. One of them that was dealing pretty hot & heavy here doesn't have a release date untill 2034.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 9 months ago

At a cost between 40,000-45,000 TAX dollars to house an inmate for a year this seems a bit steep...

Eileen Jones 1 year, 9 months ago

It costs more to privatize everything.

Still... inmates should be required to do meaningful work that produces enough income to cover the cost of housing them.

"Still... inmates should be required to do meaningful work that produces enough income to cover the cost of housing them."

Slavery. No. You don't get to make people into slaves because they are felons. Felons have few rights, not being a slave is one of them. You want people in prison? You pay for it.

notajayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

"Of the nine other defendants in the case, one has been sentenced to five years of probation and eight await sentencing."

Now, boys and girls, can you point to which one of these ten people turned federal witness?

Eileen Jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Good.

Prescriptions drugs can kill. It is a tragedy how easy it is for anyone to buy illegal pills in this city.

A young person I knew died recently, from a prescription drug he bought illegally.

Alceste 1 year, 9 months ago

U.S. drug addiction rate, 1970 - - - 2010 vs U.S. drug control spending, 1970 - 2010 :

Click on the link below to see the graphed results......

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2012/10/12/drug-spending-v-addiction.gif:

Alceste 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, it is. What's more depressing is the reality nobody really seems to care: We're letting that happen:

Between 1970 - - - - 2010 the "drug addiction rate" within the USA has been, essentially static going from anywhere from .5% to 2% of the population. During that same period of time, the amount of money used by various government entities to "battle the problem" has risen from Just under $2billion annual beginning in 1970 and climbing each year such that by 2010 we are spending over $20billion annually on the very same issue.

Too, not included in the "drug addiction rate" are those people are the current drugs of choice by the pill peddlers in mental health and general medicine: The SSRI "happy pills" oh so many are quite dangerously addicted to: The Zolofts; the Paxils; the Abilifys; the Prozacs; the Lexapros and on and on and on.....the SSRI family of drugs in conjunction with the SNRI drugs (Effexor, Cymbalta, et. all). These are the drugs to monitor because there have been no longitudinal studies done on them and yet they are given out in Rx format like candy. Incredible.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.