Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On City's snow removal costs for season up to $317K and counting; more than triple a year ago

Comments

Currahee 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for keeping an eye on the city's finances. Good to have someone reporting things like this for government transparency. Despite my fiscal conservatism tirade by the city as of late, I think this is money well spent..

BOULEVARDWHEAT 1 year, 9 months ago

More than triple from a year when we had a negligible amount of snow? You don't say.

lionheart72661 1 year, 9 months ago

what is 3 times zero? We had 1 significant snowfall last year that lasted 1/2 a day.

jj14 1 year, 9 months ago

We had no snow last year....um - what did they spend money on last year??? Maybe pre-treating the roads?

George_Braziller 1 year, 9 months ago

It snowed once on either the 13th or 15th of February and was only an inch or two. I remember because I waited all winter for some snow because there was a photo I was wanting to take that required some snow on the ground. Snowed one day and was gone the next when the temps were in the mid-50s.

elliottaw 1 year, 9 months ago

What did the city have as a budget? Is this over the budgeted amount or under it, being as we have had two years (in the last 4) a lot worse than this year you would think it was under budget? This is after all an average snow fall for winter.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 9 months ago

Tax dollars well spent. Job well done!

RaynRavyn 1 year, 9 months ago

They are more than welcome to put the hauled off snow in my yard/garden, instead of their storage lot! Could certainly use it! :D

Kent Fisher 1 year, 9 months ago

City’s snow removal costs for season up to $317K and counting; more than triple a year ago

Although this headline is technically correct, it is sensationalized considering we had little to no snow last year. So of course it's tripled over last year. Chad, your story is incomplete...the more relevant headline and statistic would have related to the actual city budget for snow removal. What is that?

Chad Lawhorn 1 year, 9 months ago

I tried to get the budget number, but I didn't catch up with the guy who had it yesterday. When I get it, I'll pass it along in one form or another. But I don't think pointing out that is about 3 times more than last year is sensationalistic. You seem to assume, I'm pointing that out in a judgmental tone. I'm not. It stands to reason that the city would spend a lot more on snow removal this year than it did last year. I wrote the article mainly to satisfy people's curiosity about how much money it costs to remove a lot of snow. Thanks, Chad

brutus 1 year, 9 months ago

And what did they do with the excess? They have done a great job this year.

Chad Lawhorn 1 year, 9 months ago

They put the excess snow in a big pile at the city's public works yard near 11th and Haskell Streets. Thanks, Chad

scaramouchepart2 1 year, 9 months ago

At least they have come from, oh wait until it melts or let's put in the middle of the intersections like they did when I moved here. Chuck, all other staff heads invovled, you and your guys did a great job. Still I would like my neighborhood not to be the last plowed every time :).

Commenting has been disabled for this item.