Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Editorial: Wage balance

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 1 month ago

Comparing the road crew to police is apples and oranges. The weather dictates road crew schedules. Crime has not escalated at a rate where the amount of overtime is an unknown. The abuse of overtime has a long history in police departments across the country. It's treated as supplemental income by those who want the extra money. BTW, private businesses such as landscapers lay off a large number of their staff due to little work. If the business also does snow removal, the smaller staff works overtime as well but since unneeded workers were laid off, there is no huge payroll expense on the bottom line. This is the efficiency difference between private and public employers.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 1 month ago

They should consider a pool of unemployment and welfare types that we are paying anyway for doing nothing. Put these people on a workfare program.

tomatogrower 1 year, 1 month ago

I think comp time should be an option. It actually costs less than overtime, since they would just pay a basic hourly wage for time off. and some people would prefer it, especially if they are putting in a lot of extra time to solve a criminal case. They may want to just get a break when they are done. I'm sure the maintenance crews who cleared the streets would have loved time off after doing all that work. Sometimes time is more important than money. Yes, I know the conservatives on this board will gasp, and accuse me of being French.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 1 month ago

furlough. Darn bungee cord left me hanging

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 1 month ago

Very simple, fur Pugh the workers at slack times. No pay.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.