Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Man of Merit: Student overcomes academic probation to become case study in success at KU

Comments

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

Moral of the story: Good grades in college and excessive partying are usually mutually exclusive.

COjayrocks 1 year, 4 months ago

Usually, yes. Exclusively, no.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 4 months ago

Great story and all but do realize that Mr. Visser was...1) a student athlete and 2) in the ROTC (or the equivalent)

It's not about what you do, but who you know. WIthout the connects sought from the two, few students would have reached the same level of success.

Bill Woodard 1 year, 4 months ago

Read the story closer: A KU student-athlete, Gary Green, came up with the concept for the calendar; this student will be part of the calendar, which is now in its fifth year. Mr. Visser was not a student-athlete, and according to the story had to earn back his ROTC status. Regardless, it's a terrific story and I took from it that Mr. Visser learned how to navigate a large campus, cultivate connections and involve himself in things that matter to him. Bravo to his success, which from my point of view was earned by his own commitment to become better.

irtnog2001 1 year, 4 months ago

If a guy living in a scholarship hall needs special help to succeed what about the others?

Bill Woodard 1 year, 4 months ago

Where in the story does it say he received "special help" other than him seeking advice from his teachers? I sure don't see it.

irtnog2001 1 year, 4 months ago

Perhaps not. Was inferring from the statement '"In recent years, about one in five KU freshmen has not returned for his or her second year. (KU aims to lower that rate to one in 10.)" Regardless, I commend him for turning his academic career around and wish him the best..

George_Braziller 1 year, 4 months ago

When I was an undergrad you were on your own and flew by the seat of your pants. My first year at KU I didn't even have an adviser or if I did no one ever let me know who it was. I just went through the routine of work, classes, study, sleep and repeated it over and over. My adviser when I was a Senior didn't even know what the hell was going on.

Dinker 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey George, I bet you had to walk to school in the snow, too. Uphill. Both ways.

It's called progress. We improve over time. That's just the way it is.

I've never seen so many cynics. Sure, lots of students need resources. This article isn't denying that. It's simply highlighting one of many students who has a success story. Good for Matt and good for the LJW for highlighting him.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.