Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Opinion: Voting rights are no laughing matter

Comments

Paul Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

If you want or expect something from others or the government because of your race...you are the racist.

If in every situation you are confronted with you play the race card...you are the racist.

You want to end racism? Help out a black man. Until they step it up, as a whole, the problem will persist. When we can watch a sporting event and learn of the young man's parents instead of just his mom a majority of the time...that's when we'll know we're on the right track. Keep following race baiters like Leonard Pitts and things will only get worse.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

"If you want or expect something from others or the government because of your race...you are the racist."

What he wants is for (local and state) governments to not put up structural impediments for those of a particular race from exercising their right to vote. But you want to enable the racists to pick up where they left off, and call those who protest "racist." That's just as pitiful as it is intellectually dishonest.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

So you agree with all those Jim Crow laws and methods of voter suppression, black or white?

Liberty275 1 year, 7 months ago

The soft racism of low expectations. You'd think we'd be over that garbage by now.

Katara 1 year, 7 months ago

He's referring to the idea that minorities need an extra boost to make it up to the same level as white males.

Of course, the idea that affirmative action is no longer needed assumes that everybody has an equal opportunity to make something of themselves and that assumption isn't true.

Why is it not true? Tell me, what advantage I have because I am beige? Do I not have to show up for work everyday? Do I not have to be somewhat skilled to keep my job? Do I get to vote more often? Are my taxes less? Are there special stores just for beige people?

Ken Lassman 1 year, 6 months ago

Ask a differently colored skin friend of yours to answer the question how it's different.

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

You're probably a shade different. You answer.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 6 months ago

You might, I'd never. You might not have that friend much longer if you gave that answer after they gave you an honest response.

avarom 1 year, 6 months ago

To me Voting is a laughing matter.....everytime I vote....I say No, Not that one...and No, not that one either........and I laugh .....because he/she really didn't matter.... enough....to Get My Vote!

Mike Ford 1 year, 7 months ago

porkribs sounds the sign of desparation....get the federal government that stopped Little Rock in 1957 out of the way.....the forces that went to Ole Miss and Philadelphia, Mississippi out of the way.....convince conservatives who've benefitted from white priviledge for a century and a half that they want to go back in time.... to what? more racism? not playing the race card......I'm playing the history card.....which conservatives fail at.....including scotus judges.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 7 months ago

Voting is not an "entitlement", it is a right. Scalia, at the very least, needs to recuse himself and probably should be impeached for that kind of remark. I personally believe it's his incipient Alzheimers. He needs to retire and stop holding on to the office in a desperate attempt to keep Obama from appointing his successor. Clarence Thomas can go with him.

I'm not sure voting is a right. Please point out what you believe makes voting a right. Thank you.

I dunno. Maybe it has to do with the title of the law currently before Congress. You know, the VOTING RIGHTS Act? Maybe it has to do with the 19th Amendment that gave women the RIGHT TO VOTE. I think the right is pretty well enshrined in the Constitution.

That forbids discriminatory practices related to voting. It does not give you a right to vote. You are smart enough to know the difference.

The right to vote exists nowhere in the US constitution.

boltzmann 1 year, 6 months ago

The text of the 19th amendment states that "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

It would seem that this wording acknowledges the existence of a "right to vote" - if a "right to vote" didn't exist, the amendment would be pretty silly, as stated.

It's the same as the 14th. It prevents discrimination. It doesn't give you the right to vote.

boltzmann 1 year, 6 months ago

The subject of the sentence specifically mentions "the right of citizens of the United States to vote" and goes on to state that it cannot be denied or abridged to a specific class. If the right that is the subject of the sentence did not exist, how could it then be denied?

"it cannot be denied or abridged to a specific class."

But it can be denied to all classes.

State's may give you the right to vote, but the federal government does not in any way give you a right to vote. The federal government protects you from discrimination.

So, you hold the beliefs you do just to keep Pitts in a job? That's a new twist on the old argument that says racism is a benevolent act.

I'm guessing that you replied to a comment that's been removed?

Yea-- I think it got sent back to Linwood again.

UneasyRider 1 year, 7 months ago

If Obama wasn't president, what else would or could you whine about?

pork ribs, another all white meat.

grammaddy 1 year, 7 months ago

They don't want to stop them from voting because they are BLACK. They want to stop them from voting Democrat. I thought everybody knew this is "post-racial" America. Has been since Obama got elected.Racism died November of 2008. I thought you knew.

Over 50 % of white males over 45 voted for Romney. Doesn't that sound a lot like the old white males are racists as they've always been. But the good news is they're dying off just like the GOP.

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

I think grammaddy was being sarcastic.

No, it's recognition that to vote otherwise (i.e., Republican) is maladaptive.

When up becomes the down that's part of your racial mythology.

My bet is that you don't know anything more about Wright than the the out-of-context and very selective and/or highly distorted tidbits you heard ad nauseam on Faux News.

grammaddy 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe when they do something that upsets more than just rednecks.And you really ought to learn something about the KKK.

Don't think Leonard is the one crying or as more properly called whining.

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

Standard Pitts formula. Standard Pitts article. Nothing new here

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

Cain killed Abel (or so the story goes) so should all first born males be suspect and placed on special monitoring programs forever. Surely there must be an end to punishment for crimes committed generations ago??!!

Corey Williams 1 year, 7 months ago

Exodus 34:6-7 - "And He [the Lord] passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, 'The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet He does not leave the guilty unpunished; He punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.'

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

God goes to the third generation. How far do we go? Has the countdown begun? Seems as if there have been close to three generations since the voting rights act led to sanctions.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Many of the folks who opposed the civil rights act in the Jim Crow south are still alive and still in positions of power. It was not so long ago.

Paul Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

Racist/Bigot = A conservative who has just won an argument with a liberal.

I try to keep my mind at least as open as average conservative.

By pork_ribs' definition, racism and bigotry is truly gone.

pork ribs making a repeated arguement in denial of reality and the acceptance of the horrors of the past makes one a racist or a bigot. I love watching said people do the sidestep around the issue knowing full well that the bluff of reality they to accomplish fools no one. you don't fool me. maybe you are what you are. the other equasion here is the counties in South Dakota where there's a historical Lakota Indian majority being gerrymandered out of power and profiled into submission by a wascichu (White) minority to the point where the US Justice Department intervened there or the denial of voting rights for Dine, Pueblo, Hopi, Zuni, Apache, and other Indians of New Mexico until 1951 when Native Americans received the right to vote with the Snyder Act of 1924 and yet White people fearful of the consequences of exclusion were forced to let these Indians vote 27 years after a federal law passed. Call uninformed people out and set the record straight. Don't tolerate willful and billegerent ignorance which I don't. If someone acts a certain way the perception doesn't lie.

And as average person says to average GOP racist, get over it, we elected a black man.

Yes they do, and you poor little conservatives can't stand them.

Anyone paying taxes is suffering the consequence of Barrys reelection

Please stop calling them conservatives. They are not.

But every post you make manages to point out his race. Doesn't that create the appearance of a racist?

Is it racist to mention someone is Black, Hispanic, Latino.... No

No more racist then for me to look at a composite photo of all of the freshmen legislators in the state house and point out that, hey, they're all white people!

voevoda 1 year, 7 months ago

I am stunned to see how so many posters on this forum disclaim any racism, but then make derogatory generalizations about persons who aren't white.

See these examples of racist thinking posted above: "a stupid and increasingly 'brown' America" "who gives a flying fig for your stupid 150 year old indian gripes" "96% of black vote going to Obama is not rasism, is it? Nooooooo!" "Until they step it up, as a whole, the problem will persist".  "When we can watch a sporting event and learn of the young man's parents instead of just his mom a majority of the time"  Also, the readiness to condemn black leaders as "racist" and blacks who don't make vituperative condemnation of them their first priority as equally guilty, as though every black is responsible for what every other black says.

The prevalence of such attitudes even in "liberal" Lawrence, Kansas, indicates to me that they are likely to be even more prevalent elsewhere.  And also that such attitudes are likely to affect access to voting.  Consequently, Leonard Pitts is right to be worried about the termination of the Voting Rights Act.  We all should be.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

No, not all conservatives are racist, but when they are faced with racist acts by their peers, and deny that it wan't really racist, I have to question them. When I am still told a racist joke by white people who barely know me, and assume since I'm white, I won't mind, then I know racism exists. Pointing out a racist attitude is not race baiting. It's pointing out the obvious. I no longer sit by when I see racism; I point it out. If you are conservative, and not a racist, then start condemning those in your ranks who are.

if you're not racist and you don't like being associated with historic racist attitudes do something about the people responsible for giving good conservatives a bad name. Don't blame the target of said bad behavior for speaking openly about these bad people. Fifty years ago Good Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act and pushed the bad Democrats or Dixiecrats out. Between 1967 and 1982 or between George Wallace, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan these racist Dixiecrats became Republicans. This was crazy to witness as I grew up in Louisiana and Mississippi from the early 1970's to the early 1980's. The GOP was a carpetbagger party during Civil War Reconstruction and for these southerners to go GOP was like watching a vampire go willingly into the sunlight. They did so because good Democrats told them to leave and they became right wing Republicans. I'm 42 years old and I witnessed this firsthand in Moss Bluff, Louisiana between the 1976 and 1980 presidential elections. Witnessed history trumps gop mythology and claims of reverse racism.

I can't "like" this enough. I'm 60 and, although I grew up and lived in Kansas, I was VERY aware of the Dixiecrat flight to the GOP. (By the way, you forgot that piece of filth, Jesse Helms.)
I get OUTRAGED when some modern Republican tries to tell me they are the "party of Lincoln". They no more espouse Lincoln's beliefs and philosophy now than the Ayatolla preaches on the Bible.

cait48 I'll reference Orville Faubus, Ross Barnett, George Wallace, Strom Thurmond, and Jesse Helms for you to make it right. I'm the former grandson of a almost 90 year old White/Choctaw Dixiecrat who went GOP with Reagan. He is the patriarch from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" wrecking his family with Southern Patriarchy in style. His culture didn't value my late mother's college education and it upended their narrow mindedness which is why southerners pretty much always assail intellectuals as the people who upset their apple carts of keeping things the same much as the 1960's and Civil Rights did. Look at how they treated Willaim Faulkner and William Fulbright not to forget Jimmy Carter. They like locked in step standard bearers who fight to keep their way of life alive at the expense of all of us. This is the fight occurring as we speak in DC and Cyberspace. They are trying to rewrite history that they've lost and we should not let them.

I have deep southern roots on my mom's side. Her family came from Tennessee and Texas. I was the first woman in my mom's extended family to have a college education. The only reason they tolerated it was because it was in nursing (a "woman"s" profession). I didn't get married until I was 24 (in an era when most women married within a year of graduating from high school) and I can't tell you the "old maid" jokes I endured. We didn't have a "patriarch" (he died when I was 13) but believe me, the attitudes and culture were all there.

jafs 1 year, 7 months ago

Racism is defined as the belief that those of a certain race are superior to those of another race simply by virtue of their race.

Many things that are commonly called racist don't fit that definition.

Armstrong 1 year, 6 months ago

Best post on the thread jafs

Commenting has been disabled for this item.