Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: A good gig

Comments

Obama_The_Obnubilator 1 year, 9 months ago

I see the bs rhetoric coming from the BHO white house has hit a home run with you Linda.

Dick Sengpiehl 1 year, 9 months ago

What you "see" means you better get your annual checkup with your optometrist pronto. .

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 9 months ago

Linda, you have another vote, run girl run

Dick Sengpiehl 1 year, 9 months ago

Good one, Linda. You are certainly describing Representive Lynn Jenkins to a T.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

--- Where did the whole idea of sequestration originate?

• It goes back to 1985.

• Sequestration never really worked, though, and it was repealed in 1990 and replaced by a new budget deal. After that, it disappeared down the Washington, DC, memory hole for the next 20 years.

--- What about the 2013 version? Where did that come from?

• In the summer of 2011, Republicans decided to hold the country hostage, insisting that they'd refuse to raise the debt ceiling unless President Obama agreed to substantial deficit reduction..

--- How big is the sequester?

--- So what gets cut?

--- Aren't we still in a recession? What are these cuts going to do to the economy?

--- Does anyone have a plan to avoid the sequester?

• Sure.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/03/the-sequester-explained

One would think the elected officials would stick around and take care of business instead of running away till whenever.

BUTTTTTTTT they have appointments to keep with the few big spenders who feed them money and tell them what to do. They say they are leaving to be with constituents = reaching out for special interest campaign dollars some of which likely is not coming from Kansas.

BTW our GOP delegation is among the majority of GOP...... only posing as republicans. Because of this new breed the old school GOP passed away. Can we say dead?

“You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter,” said the vice president. “We won the mid-term elections, this is our due.” -

http://www.thenation.com/blog/173146/gotta-sequester-or-was-cheney-right-deficits-dont-matter

notajayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

"I can ignore the collective will of the nation who re-elected President Obama because I know I am safe."

That same collective will resulted in a Republican majority in the House. And those "No" votes are cast precisely because the people of the country wanted to preserve the system of checks and balances established in that Constitution you mentioned and not simply rubber stamp 'Lord and Savior Obama's' agenda.

"I will take no responsibility for the shape the country is in."

Absolutely right, gosh darn it! Now - who was in control of that House when the fiscal crisis started, Linda?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

"That same collective will resulted in a Republican majority in the House."

Actually, the collective will that created that majority was the will of Republicans to engage in massive gerrymandering-- the only way that the Republicans could get a majority, given the number of votes for Democratic candidates nationwide exceeded the votes for Republicans by well over 1 million.

notajayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

[yaaaawn]

Quelle surprise: According to Bozo, any election win by a liberal/Democrat is the "will of the people" while any win by a conservative/Republican muct have been cheating.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

Excellent letter, I like the mode in which it is written, it draws the reader in and then at the end you get a laugh. Real life can be funny, sad and bewildering all at the same time. Of course I agree with the sentiments expressed in the letter.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.