Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Winter storm forces cancellation of classes, events

Comments

kernal 1 year, 1 month ago

KCI finally closed late this morning and I-70 now closed between Salina and Hays.

Mollie New Leaf 1 year, 1 month ago

Could we get a list of restaurants that are closed/open? I heard that someone is ordering delivery today! I don't know from where, but I'm going to have to assume that some delivery guy has a dog sled team ;)

My husband closed his restaurant (it's in KC) so he's getting a snow day, yay!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

KU and USD 497 called off school Wednesday.

People began falling out of their chairs in disbelief. Others were requesting treatment for shock by way of Copperhead. Still others were spotted jumping up and down with joy on their way to La Prima Taza for Latte and cookies.

Yet another circle of socialized interacting humans seemed to be off to the Bourgeoisie Pig with large smiles.

Thousands of parents throughout this community are suspected of praising the early decision which was immediately followed up with celebrating the opportunity to sleep in.

Thanks for the early decision school officials.

tomatogrower 1 year, 1 month ago

I've heard a lot of places are closing and sending workers home. Honeywell in Olathe shut down. Be safe people. But I'm happy we are getting real snow.

chaelaw 1 year, 1 month ago

Please add Hilltop Child Development Center to the list of closings! Thank you!

irvan moore 1 year, 1 month ago

with the excepttion of the library none of the organizations you mentioned are a city service

reality_check79 1 year, 1 month ago

Heartland, food bank, ballard, parks and rec office, Douglas county court, access health center, meals on wheels.... And yes THE LIBRARY!!! I don't know what your talking about, but its pretty obvious that everything was shut down today...

irvan moore 1 year, 1 month ago

i've never figured out why they close the library when all the other city offices/services aren't closed

Ali Edwards 1 year, 1 month ago

Heartland Community Health Center will also be closed tomorrow.

Ali Edwards, Development Director Heartland Community Health Center

tukee 1 year, 1 month ago

those dirty pigs in the legislature ought to get their oily hides in for work. This isn't the union anymore, scoundrels.

g_rock 1 year, 1 month ago

When I was a kid, my parents still tired to send me to school on snow days, you wusses....geesh. Welcome to Kansas.

mom_of_three 1 year, 1 month ago

I am glad the schools are cancelled. The worst of the storm is expected tomorrow during the work day and it could be a huge mess trying to drive home safely. I am already wondering about Friday, if we get what they have predicted.

nfspots 1 year, 1 month ago

Take a look at usd497.org. Says lawrence public schools closed

SpeedRacer 1 year, 1 month ago

Just got the call from USD497.

MontyC 1 year, 1 month ago

I have a feeling over a foot of snow in Lawrence is going to surprise alot of people. Kind of like a kids first snow storm only not fun.

MontyC 1 year, 1 month ago

When was the last time you had over a foot of snow in Lawrence?

jimmyjms 1 year, 1 month ago

Rick Doll, this is ridiculous. Call it already!

UneasyRider 1 year, 1 month ago

Guess we need to wait, as usual. until 6:00 AM for USD 497 to announce school cancellations.

introversion 1 year, 1 month ago

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you think everything's ok and everything blows up in your face...

Ricky_Vaughn 1 year, 1 month ago

That song makes me want to dig out my ear drums with a grapefruit spoon...

dragonfly0221 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe Lawrence schools don't prepare enough with their calendar with only one snow day built in? I would rather cancel and keep kids safe since the wrst is to happen while kids would be at school. Surrounding counties and even Topeka 501 have already cancelled.

d_prowess 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't really understand what waiting until 6am will do when the majority of the snow is going to fall between 6am and 4pm tomorrow. At 6am, things may be alright, but by 11am, they could be unsafe, but all the students will already be at school. What will people do then? I know you don't want to call things too early in fear that the forecast will change, but I think you should be pretty certain of the forecast by about 10pm tonight to make the call. Afterall, if the idea behind closing schools and KU is to keep the students safe, don't you have to assume some validity for the forecast in this situation?

dragonfly0221 1 year, 1 month ago

So the city can plan ahead for trash but not for schools?

ibroke 1 year, 1 month ago

I think they canceled it because somebody put white lines in all the streets! that freaked me out

decrepit 1 year, 1 month ago

It's not ironic--just coincidental.

kthxbi 1 year, 1 month ago

Who would've thought... it figures

George_Braziller 1 year, 1 month ago

Win the lottery and die the next day.

candaceflynn 1 year, 1 month ago

It's like dating Dave Coulier and realizing he's not so cool.

evalrt 1 year, 1 month ago

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

ldawg 1 year, 1 month ago

It like the good advice that you just didn't take

Lynn731 1 year, 1 month ago

Why go to a class about it when you can watch it happen, which we always do. The best money I ever spent was for my second Davis weather station. The first wired one lasted over ten years. The new one is wireless and operates on a solar panel. It is great. I have enough information to make a good guess about what is going to happen, which is all the weather forecasters do.

thewayne 1 year, 1 month ago

No, its like a no smoking sign on your cigerette break.

kthxbi 1 year, 1 month ago

No, it's like a free ride when you've already paid.

kuhusker 1 year, 1 month ago

It's like rain on your wedding day

CardHawkFan 1 year, 1 month ago

A little too ironic...yeah, I really do think.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.