Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Winter storm forces cancellation of classes, events

Comments

CardHawkFan 1 year, 10 months ago

A little too ironic...yeah, I really do think.

kthxbi 1 year, 10 months ago

No, it's like a free ride when you've already paid.

thewayne 1 year, 10 months ago

No, its like a no smoking sign on your cigerette break.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 10 months ago

Why go to a class about it when you can watch it happen, which we always do. The best money I ever spent was for my second Davis weather station. The first wired one lasted over ten years. The new one is wireless and operates on a solar panel. It is great. I have enough information to make a good guess about what is going to happen, which is all the weather forecasters do.

riverdrifter 1 year, 10 months ago

I have the Davis Weather Pro 2, like you do. Aren't they great? Mine is coming up on 4 years old and has never missed any data, save for when freezing rain disabled the anemometer. Only gripe is that the rain gage chronically under-records by about 5%. So, I use one of these for comparison. http://www.weatheryourway.com/cocorahs/rgcoco.htm

ldawg 1 year, 10 months ago

It like the good advice that you just didn't take

evalrt 1 year, 10 months ago

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

candaceflynn 1 year, 10 months ago

It's like dating Dave Coulier and realizing he's not so cool.

Joe Berns 1 year, 10 months ago

Isn't Dave Coulier that guy on Dual Survival?

dragonfly0221 1 year, 10 months ago

So the city can plan ahead for trash but not for schools?

elliottaw 1 year, 10 months ago

They only have so many "snow days" built in to the calendar, so it is not as easy to just say cancel school who cares, those days have to be made up, there is not rush to cancel them nothing is harmed making sure that the snow does come, and is heavy enough that it warrents closing the school

d_prowess 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't really understand what waiting until 6am will do when the majority of the snow is going to fall between 6am and 4pm tomorrow. At 6am, things may be alright, but by 11am, they could be unsafe, but all the students will already be at school. What will people do then? I know you don't want to call things too early in fear that the forecast will change, but I think you should be pretty certain of the forecast by about 10pm tonight to make the call. Afterall, if the idea behind closing schools and KU is to keep the students safe, don't you have to assume some validity for the forecast in this situation?

ComeOnMannnnnnn 1 year, 10 months ago

Things may change. Last year we called a snow day the night before we were suppose to get a huge storm and we got nothing. If at 6am the storm seems to be on path they will close it

Kendall Simmons 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm genuinely curious. If driving is unsafe at, say, 11 AM, then what is the plan for getting the kids home safely 4 hours later?

dragonfly0221 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe Lawrence schools don't prepare enough with their calendar with only one snow day built in? I would rather cancel and keep kids safe since the wrst is to happen while kids would be at school. Surrounding counties and even Topeka 501 have already cancelled.

parrothead8 1 year, 10 months ago

So keep your kids at home. Who's stopping you?

Jeanne Cunningham 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree. Don't let anyone else dictate your decisions about your kid's/kids' safety.

d_prowess 1 year, 10 months ago

But at what point to the districts have a responsibility for their employees? It is easy for someone to keep their children home, but what about the teachers that needs to travel to and (in this case the potential more dangerous) from School. People can't think so individualistically about these things. You have to consider all of the parts that have to work in order to make a place like a School work properly.

Jeanne Cunningham 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe their union should include that in future negotiations. When/if the entire rest of the city has already come to its senses the day/night before, there should be NO debate. Better safe than sorry, I say. There is NO logic to adding vehicles full of school children to snowy/sleety/icy roads. And, if it's a false alarm sometimes, it's still the better option.

Sheila Hooper White 1 year, 10 months ago

Custodians still have to go in. Not everyone employed by the district gets a snow day.

Bridgett Wagner 1 year, 10 months ago

Thank you. This. Keep your kids home. Problem solved.

Ricky_Vaughn 1 year, 10 months ago

That song makes me want to dig out my ear drums with a grapefruit spoon...

introversion 1 year, 10 months ago

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you think everything's ok and everything blows up in your face...

FarneyMac 1 year, 10 months ago

Cool, thanks, we've never had winter in the midwest before so this is all new information.

UneasyRider 1 year, 10 months ago

Guess we need to wait, as usual. until 6:00 AM for USD 497 to announce school cancellations.

jimmyjms 1 year, 10 months ago

Rick Doll, this is ridiculous. Call it already!

elliottaw 1 year, 10 months ago

I know why is he waiting to see if we actually get any snow, jeez

nfspots 1 year, 10 months ago

Take a look at usd497.org. Says lawrence public schools closed

mom_of_three 1 year, 10 months ago

I am glad the schools are cancelled. The worst of the storm is expected tomorrow during the work day and it could be a huge mess trying to drive home safely. I am already wondering about Friday, if we get what they have predicted.

tukee 1 year, 10 months ago

those dirty pigs in the legislature ought to get their oily hides in for work. This isn't the union anymore, scoundrels.

Ali Edwards 1 year, 10 months ago

Heartland Community Health Center will also be closed tomorrow.

Ali Edwards, Development Director Heartland Community Health Center

irvan moore 1 year, 10 months ago

i've never figured out why they close the library when all the other city offices/services aren't closed

Anthony Mall 1 year, 10 months ago

Heartland, food bank, ballard, parks and rec office, Douglas county court, access health center, meals on wheels.... And yes THE LIBRARY!!! I don't know what your talking about, but its pretty obvious that everything was shut down today...

with the excepttion of the library none of the organizations you mentioned are a city service

Anthony Mall 1 year, 10 months ago

This is obviously a serious issue to you lol... Everything is shut down, deal with it!!! If you care so much you should volunteer to open it for the massive amount of people concerned about the library being closed today... Call the mayor's office, I am sure he is in his office patiently awaiting calls about the closing of the library and has nothing else to be concerned with all day!!!

i don't care one way or the other, please remember old people have plenty of time to wonder about meaningless things, it keeps what's left of our minds active

tomatogrower 1 year, 10 months ago

• City of Lawrence offices are closed. All personnel not involved in the current snow operations, emergency services, daily infrastructure or utility operations are not required to report to work today.

chaelaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Please add Hilltop Child Development Center to the list of closings! Thank you!

tomatogrower 1 year, 10 months ago

I've heard a lot of places are closing and sending workers home. Honeywell in Olathe shut down. Be safe people. But I'm happy we are getting real snow.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 10 months ago

KU and USD 497 called off school Wednesday.

People began falling out of their chairs in disbelief. Others were requesting treatment for shock by way of Copperhead. Still others were spotted jumping up and down with joy on their way to La Prima Taza for Latte and cookies.

Yet another circle of socialized interacting humans seemed to be off to the Bourgeoisie Pig with large smiles.

Thousands of parents throughout this community are suspected of praising the early decision which was immediately followed up with celebrating the opportunity to sleep in.

Thanks for the early decision school officials.

JayCat_67 1 year, 10 months ago

They aren't getting it from Pizza Shuttle. Closed.

kernal 1 year, 10 months ago

KCI finally closed late this morning and I-70 now closed between Salina and Hays.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.