Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Snow coming down hard, area roads snowpacked

Comments

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 7 months ago

Will we be allotted more than 48-hours of clearing sidewalks? We haven't had this much snow since 2009/2010!

When we had nearly 3 feet of snow, clearing the sidewalks still became an issue. I own a snowblower, so getting it cleared won't be an problem. I understand though, that would be considered a luxury item for most.

Snow removal companies will has a blast with this, but servicing those in dire need of their help might not be a top priority.

George_Braziller 1 year, 7 months ago

I've never been clear on the definition of "clearing" the sidewalk within 48 hours. Last big snow we had I shoveled my sidewalk after it stopped, and did it multiple times, only to have windblown snow cover them back up again.

I was just asking out of curiosity. Given the fact we haven't had snow in several years, it might come as a surprise to some residents.

LadyJ 1 year, 7 months ago

You will have until Monday 8 am since the snow won't stop until Friday morning.

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

Nationally, yes it does generally run North-South, but locally it runs primarily East-West between Emporia and Ottawa, and then Northeast-Southwest between Ottawa and Kansas City.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 7 months ago

p>Weather.com was using I-70 as a marker. Typo maybe?

frankfussman 1 year, 7 months ago

http://511.ksdot.org/ This site, Kansas Dept of Trans., gives you video cameras at several places around Kansas to see levels of snowfall.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 7 months ago

despite all this information, Lawrence Public Schools will still manage to wait until 6:00 am tomorrow to cancel schools.

elliottaw 1 year, 7 months ago

why would they cancel ahead of time, they don't know what the road conditions will be like in the morning, if your a parent make plans the night before so if it is canceled you know what you are going to do with your kids.

koman 1 year, 7 months ago

Yep - because they have more responsiblity than someone b!tching on an anonymous board. They have buildings to open and bus routes to begin. If they were to call off on a forcast and the forcast was wrong, you would be on here saying they should have waited. True genius at work, renny.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 7 months ago

IRONIC POST OF THE DAY! (In two ways, even!)

grammaddy 1 year, 7 months ago

They called it at 9pm wednesday.

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

I will believe it when I am scooping my 180' of sidewalks. When does scooping cross over to be excavating. Surely a foot must be gettin pretty close.

Catalano 1 year, 7 months ago

BlizzardOfOz for latest updates as the storm tracks our way.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 7 months ago

when I was a kid, we always walked to school, never rode the bus. school was never cancelled for weather. this in includes the winters of 60 and 61 in Kansas which were bad and Massaschucetts 62-64 where we measured snow by where it was on the stop sign. those were the good old days.

gsxr600 1 year, 7 months ago

I bet your walk to school was up hill, both ways too right?

kufan8808 1 year, 7 months ago

To those earlier discussing KU class cancellation.... I am a KU student. All my labs and tests have already been cancelled! Considering this and the fact that residents are being asked to put out their trash a day early makes me think that Lawrence public schools will cancel this evening as opposed to in the morning.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 7 months ago

Wait-the latest NWS map says "flurries" over the Topeka and Lawrence area. What is so disastrous about that? The forecasted amounts keep changing, and going down.

shorttrees 1 year, 7 months ago

Read the caption-- it says by 9pm tonight, not for the whole storm.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you, shorttrees. Me thinks I will start wearing those bifocals.

shorttrees 1 year, 7 months ago

Not a problem. My bifocals are probably why I DID read it. :)

foxli 1 year, 7 months ago

Since homeowners are required to clear sidewalks, are property managers and landlords required to clear tenant parking lots? I was stranded in the Christmas Day storm a few years ago because my old property management didn't plow the parking lot for a few days, and I couldn't get my car out even when the roads were clear. I live in a different place now, but from what I've seen (the light snow and ice thus far), this management company doesn't clear the lot either.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 7 months ago

Channel 6 says State Government closed! Do they have to make up a snow day too? Paid?

Patricia Davis 1 year, 7 months ago

And please take that day off their incredulous retirement pay plan.

matahari 1 year, 7 months ago

48 hours from when? the first snowflake falls?

matahari 1 year, 7 months ago

ohhh ok, after the last snowflake falls! Clear on that now, thanks!

kufan8808 1 year, 7 months ago

I was woken up by Thundersnow! It was the coolest thing ever and there was quite a bit of from 6:30 to 7:30, You might want to make an update about this!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

KU and USD 497 called off school Wednesday evening before 9 PM.

People began falling out their chairs in disbelief. Others we requesting treatment for shock by way of Copperhead. Still others were spotted jumping up and down with joy on their way to La Prima Taza for Latte and cookies.

Yet another circle of socialized interacting humans seemed to be off to the Bourgeoisie Pig with large smiles.

Thousands of parents throughout this community are being suspected of praising the early decision which was immediately followed up with celebrating the opportunity to sleep in.

Thanks for the early decision school officials.

tashadono 1 year, 7 months ago

What weather site are Lawrencians using that actually is up to date on the amount of snow we have received? Am I missing the live update on ljw, or are they sticking with 8:23am as the most current info they have?

JovianaRex 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't think Lawrence did a very good job of snow removal, as usual. I was sorry to see that people who live off of 27th and ON 27th were treated to NO snow removal the whole day, as I expected. . I moved out of Lawrence for the attitude that I encountered when I complained about the lack of snow removal, but sadly, I work there now. In 2010, my cul-de-sac was done like FOUR days after the snow fell. And this was still snow that blocked people from leaving the cul-de-sac, big snow, a lot of it. And I was told I had to clear sidewalks in two.
Lawrence Journal World DID miss a very large story with that car on fire, it isn't even under your "fire crimes and court" section, why is that?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.