Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Blast levels building at Kansas City's Plaza

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

The contractor workers were asked about the gas leak problem about 1PM by folks from a nearby clinic.

Yet appropriate emergency personnel didn't appear to show up closer to 5PM or thereabouts.

Had the emergency responders known at the time that this leak had been in operation for several hours prior to their arrival I speculate this matter would have administered much differently.

Gas lines are damaged frequently and are handled accordingly without explosions and raging gas line fires. When were the emergency responders notified? Perhaps not soon enough.

I damaged a gas line at a meter while working once. I did notify emergency responders who arrived quickly and assured me that little danger was imminent. Nonetheless I was a bit nervous over the ordeal. What if I had waited for several hours? After this JJ's event I rather imagine the emergency responders would have had a different response to direct at me. Hmmmmm.

0

mikekt 1 year, 1 month ago

I watched the tv videos from the air and the ground.

It was real obvious that there was a standard utility ( or contractor type ) of front loader, wheeled type back hoe, made by Case Co ( the manufacturers name was visible on the tv shots ) that was abandoned, in place, with its' rear stabilizer legs & front bucket down, so it was stationary over a whole & large gas flame on 48Th St side . The hole under that flame was full of fire hose water and the flame didn't smoke like wood but simply burned like a gas flame would above water that was poorly regulated ( yellow flame....not blue )..

Pressurized natural gas can enter a building from underground, following pipes or thru a sewer, etc & most restaurants have high volume hoods over the ranges or grill tops, which are going to pull allot of outside air into a restaurant, thru some openings, somewhere .

The response of Missouri Gas Energy and the Kansas City Mo. Fire Departments, before this explosion, need to be looked into, as well as to wether the contractor had proper utility locations for the site, or wether or not those buried utility locations were correct ?!

Well, I guess that the burn victims aren't going to Salina for treatment ?

Thank GOd for KU Med Ctr.,.... but those burn patients face a long hard fight

I wish them well......but I also believe that this should not have happened to them in a reasonable world .

Contracting is allot of responsibility .

0

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

A huge loss to that neighborhood..... quite a friendly ambiance.

An employee of 14 years said no customers were in at the time of the blast and of course was very lucky she and a colleague were able to get out..... very very scary.

The architecture of Seville, Spain will be missed.....such a beautiful structure. It also strikes me as the place that provided water bowls for passing pets.

0

riverdrifter 1 year, 1 month ago

I liked that place too, but hadn't been there in a year. I hope everybody got out.

0

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 1 month ago

Horrible tragedy. Paco's Shrimp and a bottle of Penfolds Grange, we will miss you JJ's. Our best wishes go out to those hurt.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.