Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Legislation seeks to block federal gun laws on Kansas firearms

Comments

chootspa 1 year, 5 months ago

Because federal limits, if such things ever actually pass, would not be subject or 2nd Amendment scrutiny? Gah, more mythical unicorn protections from Kobach's silly brigade.

NotImpressed 1 year, 5 months ago

"But when asked where in the Affordable Care Act that provision was, the speakers said they didn't know. "

But, but, but...the sky is FALLING!

Lemmings.

Too bad they don't expend at least the same effort protecting other Constitutional rights - like abortion

Larrytown 1 year, 5 months ago

It's like Groundhog Day all over again....

Kris Kobach testifying before the committee about something that has absolutely "zippo" to do with the job of a Secretary of State. It goes without saying...we have a real circus in Topeka nowadays.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 5 months ago

I really think this is a waste of time and resources, but there are examples of these kinds of state laws working. Just look at marijuana in California, Colorado, and Washington. Although if Kobach tries to use those as an example, I will laugh hysterically. I do wonder if this bill would protect gun owners from other states who cross into Kansas. If a shooter from Missouri comes to Kansas and kills a bunch of people, will the FBI just sit back and watch?

Joe Adams 1 year, 5 months ago

The marijuana laws don't protect anyone in California, Colorado, and Washington from federal prosecution. The federal government just doesn't come in and do anything about them right now. If those laws said that the ATF agents would be prosecuted under state law for doing something, I'm pretty sure the federal government would care a bit more.

jayhaitch 1 year, 5 months ago

kuguardgrl13: Probably, since the shooter wouldn't have necessarily broken any federal laws.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 5 months ago

Another "Look at me!! Look at me!!" moment from KK.

Kat Christian 1 year, 5 months ago

This is the craziness bill ever. If this passes there will be more shootings in Kansas then any other state. Koback wouldn't think so highly of this bill if it were a member of his family who was shot or he himself. Bet he'd change his mind then. There is no place for assault weapons or magazine rounds in this society except for the nuts who wants or keep them around. I hope this bill does not pass.

He would just trot himself out there like the "he man" he is and gun 'em down himself just like Dirty Harry. Or so he thinks

lwctown 1 year, 5 months ago

I would be interested to hear why you think this would lead to "more shootings in Kansas then any other state."

meggers 1 year, 5 months ago

Like the ex-Navy Seal who was shot to death at a gun range? The one who was an expert marksman and had more confirmed sniper kills than anyone else in US military history?

It's pretty clear that a "good person with a gun" isn't all that is needed to stop a bad person with a gun.

lucky_guy 1 year, 5 months ago

Rock you are not that good person. Be afraid, be very afraid.

voevoda 1 year, 5 months ago

We're facing a huge budget shortfall, but the state is going to waste a lot of money defending a law that is unnecessary and unconstitutional? It sounds like just more of Kris Kobach's grandstanding in pursuit of his own career goals.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 5 months ago

All rights have limits.

We have freedom of speech but you can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater.

We have freedom of religion but your religion can't make it OK to kill people, rape or abuse children.

We have the right to bear arms, but you can't point a loaded gun at someone for no reason. You can't fire your gun off in celebration in the middle of Mass St.

The 2nd amendment doesn't mean you get to have any kind of gun you want, anywhere you want.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 5 months ago

This is the definition of a straw argument. Find me a gun owner who thinks they should be able to do any of those things you stated.

OK, so you agree that some restrictions do make sense!!! There IS hope!!

But, yes there are gun owners who like to point their loaded guns at people and shoot their guns in the air to celebrate.

Of course that's not what you said. You said point their guns at people for no reason. Or shoot in the air on mass street.

I said people can't point their guns at people for no reason or shoot in the air on mass street as just an example of things you can't do despite the 2nd amendment.

The next statement was to clarify that there have been many cases of gun owners doing things similar to those examples.

Without Federal gun laws in Kansas, children will be able to own and carry handguns. Felons will be able to buy and own guns. Illegal immigrants will be able to have guns. Fugitives will be legally allowed to have guns. Using a gun while committing a Federal crime will not subject the accused to any stiffer sentencing. Also legal will be, sawed off shotguns, silencers, bombs and IEDs, machine guns, armor piercing bullets, undetectable guns, guns with altered/removed serial numbers.

This sounds like a great plan!!!

You are not correct. Here are a few of the Kansas laws. 21-4204a: Criminal possession of firearm by a juvenile. (a) Criminal possession of a firearm by a juvenile is knowingly possessing a firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches long by any person less than 18 years of age. (b) Criminal possession of a firearm by a juvenile is a class A nonperson misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation is a severity level 8, nonperson felony. (c) It shall be a defense to a prosecution of criminal possession of a firearm by a juvenile if such person less than 18 years of age was: (1) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course; (2) engaging in practice in the use of such firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located; (3) engaging in an organized competition involving the use of such firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organization exempt from federal income tax pursuant to section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code of 1986 which uses firearms as a part of such performance; (4) hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to such person pursuant to article 9 of chapter 32 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated and amendments thereto; (5) traveling with any such firearm in such person's possession being unloaded to or from any activity described in paragraphs (1) through (4), only if such firearm is secured, unloaded and outside the immediate access of such person; (6) on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian or grandparent and who has the permission of such parent, legal guardian or grandparent to possess such firearm; or (7) at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses such firearm for the purpose of exercising the rights contained in K.S.A. 21-3211, 21-3212 or 21-3213 and amendments thereto. (d) This section shall be part of and supplemental to the Kansas criminal code. Kansas law, K.S.A. 21-4209(a)(2) makes it unlawful for life for a person to possess any firearm if that person has: 1) been convicted of a person felony or violation of any provision of the uniform controlled substances act under the laws of Kansas or any other jurisdiction; and 2) was found to have been in possession of a firearm at the time of the commission of the offense. Kansas law, K.S.A. 21-4204(a)(3) makes it unlawful for a person to possess any firearm within five (5) years of conviction or release form imprisonment if that person has: 1) been convicted of a felony; and 2) was found not to have been in possession of a firearm at the time of the commission of the offense. 21-4205: Also prohibits deface the serial number on a firearm.

Bombs, and IEDs are not firearms.

Well then why does Kansas have all these restrictions on our right to bear arms?

So you think the current gun laws in Kansas infringe upon the right to bear arms then? In that case you would support not enforcing any more federal gun laws in Kansas which would further infringe upon the right to bear arms.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, Let's throw the baby out with the bathwater. All guns laws should be abolished and any law enforcement officers who even attempt to stop a person from using any gun for any reason should be arrested.

whats_going_on 1 year, 5 months ago

Once again, I pose the question.

Why the heck does anyone NEED an assault rifle? (If you say that the gov'ment is going to come after you and you need to protect yourself...I will sucker punch you through my screen)

Fun to shoot? Maybe they should make those rifles only available to rent at an approved range?

This is so stupid.

Liberty275 1 year, 5 months ago

Why do you need fried chicken?

Fried chicken can't be used to murder 30-odd people in 30 seconds

KSWingman 1 year, 5 months ago

You never had my ex-wife's fried chicken.

FarmerBoy 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, it can. Fried chicken can murder people!
Keep eating that genetically modified, overly 'pesticided' sprayed crap and you can enjoy a nice slow delicious death. Or be lucky and catch some sort of slow cancer. And while you're at it, have a glass of that toxic fluoridated water.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 5 months ago

And while you're at it, you might turn off Alex Jones for a bit.

jehovah_bob 1 year, 5 months ago

Why do you need a vehicle that can drive over 100mph?

It's a long dark road once people have to start justifying a need for things. Why do you need a car that goes that speed, you shouldn't have a vehicle that travels over 75mph. Why do you need that kitchen knife, you're not a chef. Why do you need a baseball bat, you are registered to any teams. Why do you have a lock pick set, you are not a lock smith.

chzypoof1 1 year, 5 months ago

You all make it fun to read the comments. You don't have any knowledge of the issue, you just think "guns are scary"

-This bill would NOT negate all federal gun laws. It would negate any new laws deemed unconstitutional. -Assault rifles are not dangerous, the person behind the gun is. A mentally unstable person can use handguns, bombs, etc just as easy to kill. -Crime is crime. Crossing state lines to shoot people is still a crime.

The bottom line is this bill is to protect the Law Abiding Citizens, not the criminals. Taking away a person's guns that have not broken laws will not solve gun crime. Chicago has some of the most strick gun laws in the country. Over 500 gun murders so far this year.

Thank you all for the fun read.

poof

I think you are mistaken in your generalization that we think "guns are scary". I am an expert marksman and well versed in assault rifles and other military weapons, but I have no idea why anyone needs an assault rifle outside of the military. Guns should be respected, not feared.

This legislation is a solution in search of a problem.

If you were an "expert marksman" and "well-versed" in military weapons, you would know better than to use the phrase "assault rifle" and "military weapons" in the same sentence. "Assault rifle" is a political term which has nothing to do with military weapons.

Go back to HALO 4, you're in over your head here.

Wait a minute, you just phrased "assault rifle" and "military weapons" in the same sentence too.

However, the OP was stating there is a difference between assault rifles and military weapons, so obviously he's not ignorant about guns.

I didn't claim to be an expert marksman and well-versed in military weapons, so it's OK that I used the phrases in the same sentence. I'm just a simple man who loves his freedom.

I don't give the expert marksman as much credit as you do. He said, "I have no idea why anyone needs an assault rifle outside of the military." I read that as his conflation of so-called "assault rifles" with military small arms.

dd0031 1 year, 5 months ago

"This bill would NOT negate all federal gun laws. I would negate any new laws deemed unconstitutional."

Not sure where you learned to read: "any personal firearm, accessory or ammunition that is owned or manufactured in Kansas and that remains in the state is not subject to federal law. Federal authorities trying to enforce any kind of rule on such a firearm would face possible prison time."

This is a straightforward violation of the Supremacy clause, and as such is strictly unconstitutional. Kobach knows this. This is political theatre designed to advance his own political ambitions.

eugunieum 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree with you. And as to the fried chicken, 700,000+ Americans died from heart disease last year. And you worry about a semi auto rifle? An assault rifle is select fire, which is controlled by the National Firearms Act of 1934, and the Crime Bill of 1986. No one is all the sudden going to turn people loose with "assault rifles". The state of Kansas also has laws controlling select fire autos, age limits for youth ownership of guns, etc. The person that said kids will be carrying guns, Ks has a restriction of 21 for handguns, the Fed law is 18. And to the guy who said I don't need one for defense and he would sucker punch me through the screen, who left you in charge? Thanks, Flame Suit On Have a nice day and worry about something else.

Oh, and my sources, a book sent to me every year by the BATFE, as I hold a type of ffl. 2. The American Heart Assn. I am way more worried about dying from another heart attack than getting shot. KS has some good firearms laws on the books. More strict than the Feds.

Again have a nice day & worry about something else.

Brendon Allen 1 year, 5 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Centerville 1 year, 5 months ago

First thing I thought was "I see Wal Mart is still selling all its ammo." LJW could start a very popular ammo watch, like those gas price alerts, listing retailers with supply.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 5 months ago

This is just another provocative diversion intended to draw people's attention off the tax screwing that ordinary citizens are suffering, and will suffer more of, at the hands of Republican conservatives. A screwing that everybody but the wealthy is beginning to feel, and understand.

So keep those hot button attacks coming, y'all Rep-cons! Guns; Abortion; Flouride in our water; KU and K-State must play Wichita St.; the state Supreme Court has no authority in decisions made by the legislature and governor; Absorb the Turnpike into KDOT with Brownback controlling; Hire private instructors for remedial 3rd Grade reading under a program controlled by Brownback. Keep 'em comin', keep 'em comin'.

Americans for Prosperity and the American Legislative Exchange Council (read: Koch brothers) manipulating in secret every desperate move of their craven puppets. The pace of provocative initiatives reveals the level of panic in the control room. Too many people are catching on, the game is being lost.

SpeedRacer 1 year, 5 months ago

Has Kobach done anything yet that is actually part of his job?

Biscayne 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks Kris, your the BEST!

Rick Hird 1 year, 5 months ago

This has to be a joke. Why is our Secretary of State wasting our time and money with this? Kris Kobach is an embarrasment. His never ending self promotion has no boundaries.

gogoplata 1 year, 5 months ago

Americans just keep buying guns. Gun and ammo manufacturing is running at 100% and still they can't keep the shelves stocked. Even wimpy states like KS are taking a stand against the Federal Government. I love it.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 5 months ago

President Washington put down the Whiskey Rebellion. He led the troops. I half wish there would be something similar in Kansas. The hot air coming from the Kansas GOP is doing far more harm to the environment than putting down an armed rebellion ever would.

question4u 1 year, 5 months ago

Why not take this to the Supreme Court? There are still some people in other parts of the country who don't realize that so many Kansans are anti-American. What better way to show them than to make the purely symbolic gesture of defying federal laws? The pointlessness of that gesture will convey a lot about Kansas as a state.

fu7il3 1 year, 5 months ago

That has to be a stock photo. There is no way there is actually a box of .223 available.

grandnanny 1 year, 5 months ago

So it's okay for Kansas to restrict gun ownership but not the federal government. The problem with state-by-state laws on gun ownership is that guns are mobile. New York City has tough gun laws, but guns come up from the South along I-95. Chicago has tough gun laws, but guns come in from Indiana which has lax laws. So your state gun laws are pretty impotent. Look at Johnson County where there are numerous cities, each one trying to protect itself from the others. Remember the guy in the restaurant in Leawood who accidentally shot his wife while trying to get his credit card. What if she had died? Or what if someone else had been shot? The person who get shot has little or no recourse because concealed carry is legal in Johnson County. Having thousands of different gun laws makes little sense. Besides the federal law that is being considered asks for background checks for all gun sales instead of letting anyone buy a gun at a gun show or from a private person with a background check. How is that hurting your second amendment rights? If you haven't done anything wrong, you can spend as much of your hard-earned money as you want on guns.

eugunieum 1 year, 5 months ago

We always bring up the idiot who accidentally shot his wife. He was trained NOT to carry a gun in his pocket unless it was in a special made pocket holster. I had some training besides the CCH class on firearms use. The Police have the most outside the military I suppose. We never even mention a certain local lawman who accidentally shot himself in the rear end while re holstering his Glock with his finger in the trigger guard. Yes it did happen. How I know is my business. Didn't make the LJW either. Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility. I carry every day and have been since Jan.3 2007. I take it very very seriously and have spent the $$ for decent holsters, and quality firearms. I don't like being lumped into the same catagory as the guy who shot his wife. I am so glad it wasn't more serious, and feel he should have his CCH pulled. I had a friend killed by a drunk driver. Never one killed by a gun. I think people like to argue, so be it. Again, have a nice evening.

Brian Chilcoat 1 year, 5 months ago

Why am I always amazed at the stupidity of people? I have an idea, let's all be the same. We will all make the same money, live in the same houses, drive the same cars, dress the same....and no one will ever be sad. A utopian society one and all!
Grow up! If I want a gun, then I should not be barred from having one. At the end of the day this is not about guns to me, it is about being free to choose.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.