Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Fluoride, health

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 1 month ago

If the debate is still raging, those who desire to drink unfluoridated water certainly do have that option, just drink and cook with bottled water, it's not that expensive. I could be wrong, but I don't think you absorb much of it while showering, bathing, or washing your hands. Or, go live in the country and use well water. But who knows what kind of minerals and bacteria you're going to be exposed to then. In fact, you might be exposed to toxic levels of fluoride.

And, since the federal deficit is not such a big deal, go ahead and fund a large scale study, say $100 million dollars, to get to bottom of the matter, for the dozenth time at least over the last fifty years. The problem would be, there would be some who would would still need to find some flaw in the study, because they have a real need to have something to protest about that they feel is hurting them personally.

This link explains a few ways to remove fluoride from your drinking water, if you want to do that:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/a/removefluoride.htm

Liberal 1 year, 2 months ago

My grandfather smoked cigarettes from about 1925 until he died at 96. He was in excellent health and led an active lifestyle until the day he dropped dead.

Definite proof that smoking is completely safe. I highly encourage you to start smoking now before it is too late to extend your life until you are 96.

The tobacco companies knew and for most part accepted the evidence that cigarette smoking was a cause of cancer by the late 1950s. The documents also reveal that the tobacco companies helped manufacture the smoking controversy by funding scientific research that was intended to obfuscate and prolong the debate about smoking and health. source...http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/16/6/1070.long

Doctor's recommend...

Doctor's recommend... by Liberal

kernal 1 year, 2 months ago

The number of cavities is not due so much to the lack of fluroide as it is to an inadequate or unhealthy diet, an underlying unrelated disease, malnutrition or just lack of good oral health habits.

A child's first visit to the dentist should be no later than the third birthday, and earlier if you have a thumb sucker or notice other possible dental problems.

When parents quit beginning their childrens sugar habits by giving them soda pop while they're still on the bottle, quart size cups of Coke when they're old enough to hold the cup and finally begin to to brush their childrens teeth as soon as they start coming in, THEN we'll see a reduction in childhood cavities. But, don't blame it on lack of fluoride in the water.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 2 months ago

It's a good thing you all weren't in grade school in Colorado in 10th grade or later in the military! The military didn't want to mess with cavities, so they applied a fluoride solution directly to our teeth. They applied it in Colorado when I was about 14, and in the military at 19 or so. I had a few cavities before that, and so I had a few fillings already.

And now I'm 58, and in the 39 years since, I have not had a single cavity. But, I can't say it's all because of the fluoride solution that was directly applied, because I've been drinking fluoridated water too. And by the way, I never had any ill effects from it either.

Of course, that's anecdotal evidence. A man is treated with fluoride, and is found to have no cavities for 39 years after that, although he had many of them for his 19 years before that, and he suffered no ill effects from fluoridation of the water. My dentist tells me I have excellent teeth for my age, but he does wonder why in the world I had so many cavities during my first 19 years.

Nys Cof 1 year, 2 months ago

Fluoridation Opposition is Scientific, Respectable & Growing

More than 4,500 professionals (including 343 dentists and 538 MD’s) urge that fluoridation be stopped because fluoridation is ineffective and harmful. See statement: http://www.fluoridealert.org/researchers/professionals-statement/text/

Most dentists are trained to use politics and not science to promote fluoridation, according to Armfield and Melbye in the Journal of the American Dental Association . The researchers write: "Studies of dentists' attitudes about water fluoridation suggest that a lack of knowledge and preparedness are barriers to discussing the topic ... more than one-half of the respondents believed they needed more information and training on the issue.

Armfield and Melbye postulate that: "Dentists' lack of self-efficacy with respect to critically evaluating scientific literature may help to explain their reluctance to promote water fluoridation in their clinical practices." Other studies how dentists don’t keep current on new fluoride science, e.g. this research y by Yoder http://tinyurl.com/Yoder

RonEheman 1 year, 2 months ago

The CDC, ADA, AMA, local Health Departments, and all organizations that endorse fluoridating public water have a duty to present the toxicological studies that are required by the ANSI/NSF Standard 60 Health Effects. No federal agency has taken responsibility for fluoridation. The EPA set up the NSF International, a private, non-profit company, and in 1988 replaced its own drinking water additives program with NSF/ANSI Standards 60 and 61, which set public health standards for all chemicals used to treat water and products coming into contact with drinking water. These federal, public and private endorsers of fluoridation are unwilling to demand the studies needed for compliance. ACCOUNTABILITY is vital to maintaining public trust. SAFETY is critical to a high standard of living. We protect the citizenry through quality zoning ordinances, regulatory oversight and enforcement of the law. The very strong evidence to discontinue a well-accepted public health intervention is the ABSENCE of the toxicological studies REQUIRED by ANSI/NSF Standard 60. NSF, repackagers and the suppliers/manuf¬acturers are not able , or unwilling, to produce them. We need to see the original studies and all the data involved and not some review or opinion of them. Where are they? Endorsements, MSDS sheets and hollow promises are not enough. Publish them or provide a source where everyone can see for themselves if their chemicals, medicine, or drugs are "safe and Effective".

RonEheman 1 year, 2 months ago

FLUORIDEGATE is a new documentary that reveals the tragedy of how government, industry and trade associations protect and promote a policy known to cause harm to our country and especially to small children who suffer more than any other segment of the population. While their motivation remains uncertain, the outcome is crystal clear: it is destroying our nation! http://www.fluoridegate.org/ By Dr. David Kennedy

Commenting has been disabled for this item.