Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Editorial: Prayer, politics

Comments

msezdsit 1 year, 2 months ago

just when you thought the right wing nuts couldn't worse, they did. hope no one clues them in on fred or they will be protesting vets funerals and praying for alec

Slowponder 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't know how we could live in a dark spiritual area. All I have to do is fly by the airport, tune the radio to 122.8, and key the mike three times in 5 seconds. The runway lights will turn on high. Able to see them 5 miles away. And the KU football coach, Charlie Weis, brings in recruits and shows them the KU stadium late at night with the lights on, lets them step on the field, and look up the hill towards the Campanille, which always has a beacon of light. That is so much more light than many places.

What? Pepe DePue was talking about a different kind of light?

Never mind. . . .

riverdrifter 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey you getting drunk, so sorry! I've got you sussed. Hey you smoking Mother Nature! This is a bust! Hey hung up old Mr. Normal, Don't try to gain my trust! 'Cause you ain't gonna follow me any of those ways Although you think you must

We're not gonna take We're not gonna take it We're not gonna take it Never did and never will We're not gonna take it Gonna break it, gonna shake it, let's forget it better still

....We're not gonna take it We're not gonna take it Never did and never will Don't want (your) religion And as far as we can tell We ain't gonna take you Never did and never will We're not gonna take you We forsake you Gonna rape you Let's forget you better still....

-The Who

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 2 months ago

This is what happens when Church Groups decide they want to run a Government. Childish and amateurish behavior is no surprise. These people can barely run Their own Lives let alone tell us how to run ours.Stay out of my bedroom and leave my Wife's womb alone. TRY to do the job you were Elected to do. We want the Economy improved and Jobs Created. What? OH! I see That IS harder isn't it. Tough! Get to work. YOU work for ME. I AM a Voter.

jonas_opines 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Say something really stupid.
  2. Watch people get offended.
  3. Claim that the reaction proves that your stupid statement must be true, rather than it just being stupid.
  4. Repeat.

Liberal 1 year, 2 months ago

evidently the old saying is true....The truth hurts.

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

As a SEK person, I'm a bit insulted. I feel we are not spiritually darkened. There may be a bit of rust on the belt buckle of the bible belt down here but our economy seems to be rebounding slowly. Mr. DePue, along with Mr. Brownsack, please feel free to offer us an apology anytime you deem prudent. And pack your phony religion in your own darkened regions.

Pastor_Bedtime 1 year, 2 months ago

Using a taxpayer-funded public forum to call out specific areas as morally or spiritually superior or inferior to others as part of official government business is offensive, repugnant and intolerable. Voicing opposition to such hate speech is anything but bigotry. Those in the state house need to leave their bibles at home, sober up from their religious fervor and quit goofing off on the taxpayers' dollar.

voevoda 1 year, 2 months ago

Perhaps we can pray that Dave DePue and the Capitol Commission overcome the dark spiritual area in their hearts and return to Christ's teaching of caring for the poor, healing the sick, and embracing the outcast.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 2 months ago

"In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the United States in 1956 and has appeared on most U.S. coins since 1864 and on paper currency since 1957.

Get over it religious bigots.

tomatogrower 1 year, 2 months ago

"We didn’t know we were part of a “dark spiritual area.” We certainly could offer significant evidence to the contrary, given Lawrence’s many active faith communities and caring social service agencies, not to mention the charitable efforts of many individual residents."

The new muscular Jesus worshiped by the conservatives believe helping the poor is evil. They are cursed because they don't believe rightly or belong to the wrong church. They bring on all their poverty to themselves, so why help them? So, to these "christians" we are a "dark spiritual area".

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 2 months ago

Religion and politics. It always gets ugly when these two get together.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 2 months ago

I wonder what Jesus would really think about these idiots who use H is name to add some sort of significance to their agenda? Personally, when I see any group or organization using Christ's name to enhance themselves, I go the other way. Who cares what "Jesus would drive??"

This "prayer" thing is just as non-sensical. Prayer is just another religious myth, and really means nothing. Why get spset at people who chose regigious dogma to enhance their political grandstanding.??

With much more setious matters tobe concerned with, I think this sham sould jest be ignored, as it deserves.

Alyosha 1 year, 2 months ago

"Unfortunate wording" likely means "Accidentally giving Kansans the opportunity to see what I truly believe."

We would be far better off if people like Depue and the Governor had the courage of their convictions and continued to say exactly what they believe about their fellow Kansans.

Then voters could make truly informed decisions and make sure never to vote into office people who violate James Madison's assertions about religion and civil government:

"The settled opinion here is, that religion is essentially distinct from civil Government, and exempt from its cognizance; that a connection between them is injurious to both."

http://books.google.com/books?id=I6tLmjLqRfAC&pg=PA307&lpg=PA307&dq=The+settled+opinion+here+is,+that+religion+is+essentially+distinct+from+civil+Government,+and+exempt+from+its+cognizance;+that+a+connection+between+them+is+injurious+to+both;&source=bl&ots=neMFBVWFYd&sig=bFR5vNi2XXEqOHE6trW-vJJYb5o&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xkIiUc2iAuH6igKGzoCYBg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ

fiddleback 1 year, 2 months ago

Fine, let them childishly petition their Santa Claus-God for hours on end. We'll be over here doing actual grown-up stuff ...

"Dark spiritual areas," btw, puts the lie to the claim about praying for the economy. North Johnson County...he means the more lib--err--urban part of the county...and when he says southeast KS, I'm sure it has nothing to do this:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/states/kansas

But very nice that Depue could add his own little dolop of dishonesty to this pathetic pile of pious excrement he calls a commission.

chocolateplease 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm never very impressed when Christians judge others as if they judging were GOD. It gives Christianity a bad name. Glad to know this wasn't a mainstream group.

Bob Forer 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't take the perceived dis so harshly. Coming from those crazed wingnuts, I view the statements as a compliment.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.