Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On 100 years ago: LHS delivers 'surprise of the season' to KU basketball team

Comments

tyson travis 1 year, 10 months ago

Sarah~ Where was this court? I have a reference to the YMCA upstairs over the old Poehler Headquarters, SE Cor Warren (later 9th) and Mass, DCB was later located there. There was also a Gym at the SE Cor of (Henry) 8th and VT, in the Fraternal Aid Bldg which burned several years later. Surprised KU didn't play in their then-new Robinson Gym.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 10 months ago

Hi jazzttt!

Here is an earlier OHT that might help clear things up. (I didn't do this one -- mine start somewhere around April or May of 1910.)

From the Lawrence Daily World for Nov. 19, 1905: "The finishing touches are now being put on the YMCA building and the large structure will be ready for occupation the first part of next week. The new building (at what is now Eighth and Vermont) is everything and more than the most enthusiastic citizens had hoped. Lawrence has a YMCA building without equal in any city of Kansas. There are locker rooms, a swimming pool, bowling alleys. The pool with a depth of 3 to 7 feet will be kept warm throughout the year so the pool can be used in winter. On the third floor are 22 bedrooms that can be rented only to members of the association at prices ranging from $5 to $8 per month. Young ladies of the town will have the use of the building on Wednesdays."

So this 8th and Vermont one was probably a newer replacement for the other one you mentioned on Mass Street.

As to why they didn't play on the Hill, I'll guess that it was an away game for KU, home game for LHS.... but isn't it odd that they were even playing basketball against each other? Of course this is at the same time that the Sunday Schools were organizing their own hoops teams and the children at the schools were getting their first basketball goals set up in their playgrounds. EVERYONE was playing basketball! :-)

My brother just sent me an EBay listing of an early Lawrence post card showing the YMCA in Lawrence before it became WREN. I promptly bought it. Send me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the listing. Ty Travis, Pine Bluff, AR

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

I'd be willing to bet several of the regular posters here were against that rec. center as well.

The Old W.R.E.N. Bldg on the NE Cor of 8th and Vt was built in 1910, and burned in 1969, according to My copy of Dary's pictorial history of Lawrence, p.284. It was originally built as a YMCA, so the gym was probably located there, it would have been in existence in 1913. While I was growing up it held the Chamber of Commerce, and two big "Wrenny Birds" guarded the front entrance. I think the initials on the front originally said "YMCA," but were changed later when the radio station moved in and added the birds.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.