Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Popular painting on loan for landmark exhibit at National Gallery of Art

Comments

George_Braziller 1 year, 6 months ago

I never have cared for "La Pia," There's something disturbing about the size, length, and angle, of the neck. When I worked there I called it "The Painting of the Woman with the Broken Neck."

verity 1 year, 6 months ago

George, I loved that painting and now you've ruined it for me. Never noticed the neck before. ;-(

jack22 1 year, 6 months ago

This is one of my favorite paintings. I was just thinking about her the other day as it's been awhile since I've paid her a visit. It's nice to hear she'll be out on display where more people will have an opportunity to see and appreciate her. We're very lucky to have this painting here in Lawrence.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 6 months ago

Bring back Mr. and Mrs. Shopper!!!

Spencer Museum 1 year, 6 months ago

Good memory! Mr. and Mrs. Shopper by Duane Hanson (the artist who created the famed Museum Guard sculpture at the Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City) was on loan to the Spencer Museum from the late 70s through the early 80s. We’re glad you enjoyed it while it was here on loan to us.

One added note: the actual title of the work mentioned in the comment above is Shoppers, or Couple Shopping. Thanks again for remembering!

MarcoPogo 1 year, 6 months ago

Any idea where the couple resides these days?

We love your commitment to reconnecting with Shoppers, but because the object is part of a private collection, we cannot be sure of its whereabouts. If you track it down, please let us know!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.