Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Recreation center and Rock Chalk Park Q&A

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

The birth of this fiasco began about here at least this is about when the public at large got wind of it. This is a high dollar PLAY concept make no bones about it. Does it ever stop? http://www.ci.lawrence.ks.us/currenttopics/PLAY/i_executive%20summary.pdf

PLAY Overview http://www.ci.lawrence.ks.us/currenttopics/PLAY/i_executive%20summary.pdf

PLAY Committee Members Kelly Barth, Mark Buhler, Dave Corliss, Fred DeVictor, Rick Gammill, Mike Grosdidier, Sue Hack, Paige Hofer, Bonnie Lowe, Pam Madl, Julie Manning, Scott Morgan(USD 497), Wayne Osness, Linda Robinson(USD 497), Bob Sanner, Ernie Shaw, Doug Stremel and Doug Vance.

The Mission Statement of PLAY http://www.ci.lawrence.ks.us/currenttopics/PLAY/i_executive%20summary.pdf

Background and Process http://www.ci.lawrence.ks.us/currenttopics/PLAY/i_executive%20summary.pdf

The first step in the needs assessment was to collect data from a variety of sources. Three methods were developed to collect data for this study. The design team has completed the following: http://www.ci.lawrence.ks.us/currenttopics/PLAY/i_executive%20summary.pdf

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 2 months ago

Where is the enclosure? Does Corlliss have the only copy?

Is Chad keeping a copy of the enclosure so that another story can be written? How much can this Rock Chalk Park be milked for news?

At least the Culture Farm did smell from the get go. All of those bags at the Post Office on 23rd street just waiting to be "processed".

Where did the Mustard Heir eventually land? And what happened to those horses he got too?

The cowboys involved in the Rock Chalk Park dirve SUVs and big trucks. But they sure do know how to lasso the public.

Stain 1 year, 2 months ago

Thank you Chad Lawhorn for your excellent reporting about this proposed project.

I think they should scrap it. It is too mired in questionable activity from the get-go.

EJ Mulligan 1 year, 2 months ago

Chad and LJW, thank you for this Q&A. Great idea and excellent coverage of this community issue. Local newspapers with local journalists are critical to democracy.

otto 1 year, 2 months ago

"It also will have an unpaved area that can accommodate about 700 vehicles for overflow parking."

Remind me again why it is illegal to park on an unimproved surface in the city of Lawrence.

juma 1 year, 2 months ago

oneeye , my question is the actual amount (mgd) of water that will be required and does our existing water supply source have the capacity to meet the additional water demand required. Will there be another $$$$$ cost down the road to increase the supply side?

rlsd 1 year, 2 months ago

This whole project is not even about benefits to the taxpayers of Lawrence. It is about the good ole boys and the "poor" people driving their kids to other cities. Guess what, they will still have to! Let KU do whatever they want, the current plan has nothing in it I need to drive to. It is being forced on us. Reminds me of the Riverfront Mall......

7 hours later and still no enclosure? Does Corliss have the only copy? Is the JournalWorld withholding it unti Tuesday?

The project s a way to extend water and sewer at the public's expense wiu the same return that east hills business park has returned which is. ??? Anyone know? Chad or Ms Trowbridge at the J W?

A perfect example of private/public partnerships kept very private.

So what does the Enc :say that was with the letter Corliss got? You know, the letter about one gym per 28,000 population. Remember 28,000 includes nursing home population, retirement "homes" and even. Infants.

thuja 1 year, 2 months ago

What is the LJWorld's new criteria for removing a comment, while still leaving the ghost-image of it, like those above saying it was removed,

And outright deleting it, leaving no record whatsoever, like some of mine have been in the recent past? Especially when it seems that none of the usage agreements have been violated?

Seems like censorship to me. I bet this comment gets deleted, too.

juma 1 year, 2 months ago

Water!! Has there been an evaluation of how much water these facilities will use and how that will be supplied with the existing water use infrastructure?? I have not seen/heard any discussion about water. Not surprised given the ignorant CC we have.

eugunieum 1 year, 2 months ago

I am all for this to be put to a public vote. The way it stands now seems to scare me for some reason. I get the idea we would all be better off if the city not walk, but run away from this iffy deal. I just feel each taxpayer should get a jar of vasoline should this go through as planned. I agree with the poster above who said let KU do their own thing with Fritzel. Just my thoughts, & yes I will sign the petition.

Alex Keiffer 1 year, 2 months ago

Weren't there once plans for the new rec center to have an ice arena? I'm pretty sure I once read about that...

1southernjayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 2 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Brian Hall 1 year, 2 months ago

Here's an idea: If Lawrence really wants a brand-spanking new rec center then why doesn't the city renovate the rec center at Holcom? It's centrally located, the city already owns the land, it's a bigger piece of land (31 acres as opposed to 26) and I think more people would go for it. In fact, if Bill Self's Assists Foundation still wants to donate $1 million for that maybe the city would even agree to name the park Holcom-Self Park.

As for KU, if they want their own rec center, I'm pretty sure they own several square miles of land west of Iowa Street and can obtain their own money from KU Athletics and private donors and alumni.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 2 months ago

If the information is accurate that Mr. Fritzel is part owner of a development company that is currently $3.4 million behind in taxes it owes Junction City and Riley County, KS, this means his attempt to develop another property in Lawrence for the purpose of acquiring money through lease agreements constitutes a Ponzi scheme.

You gotta pay people who you owe money to. Pay them on time. Otherwise capitalism goes face-first into the mud.

P76 1 year, 2 months ago

Nobody wants to pay money to visit Lawrence. Charge the same amount to leave Turnpike and make Lecompton the final Turnpike exit. Doing this simple maneuver will allow land around N. Lawrence exit to explode with business. Business that pays taxes. Sod farms do not pay meaningful taxes.

Until government officials realize this gold mine potential, people will continue to bicker about social progress in Lawrence.

leftylucky 1 year, 2 months ago

Dru Fritzel construction or dfc who built the oread still seem to have liens filed against them. What happened to bliss foundation. If someone is injured on bliss facilities is bill liable? If someone drowns in the city storm water pond is bliss liable? What will be rcp llc liability.will endowment own the storm-water ponds. Why is the city responsible for 1 million dollars in architect fees when this wasn't the city idea? Will bliss be providing bliss police force to manage the facilities?

average 1 year, 2 months ago

One way or the other, the "32 tournaments" part doesn't add up. I don't think it's anywhere close to reasonable... that's getting something like half the tournament traffic of the entire KC metro area to decide to drive an hour out of their way to Lawrence.

On the other side of the coin, if there really were 32 tournaments a year, that means that the general taxpaying public would be excluded from the facility (or at least secondary users) on the majority of weekends of the year. Which doesn't exactly inspire my support either.

GardenMomma 1 year, 2 months ago

32 tournaments and outside events a year is quite a lot! How many tournaments and outside events do we currently attract? Do outside events include the current LPRD events - basketball, soccer, etc.?

TongiJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Funny how it's NEVER an option to lower sales taxes when bonds are paid off and sales taxes become available!!!

A: Not as currently planned. The city has money in a sales tax fund that is becoming available, in part, because the city is paying off the bonds for the Eagle Bend Golf Course and the Community Health Building.

But there are always caveats. If the economy tanks and sales tax collections go down, the city would have to raise taxes to pay for the recreation center debt. Plus, the city could use this newly available sales tax money to pay for other city projects, which otherwise may require a tax increase in the future.

toe 1 year, 2 months ago

I have only one question. When will the lies stop?

Let YOUR commissioners know!

Mayor Bob Schumm schummfoods@gmail.com Home (785) 842-6729 Work (785) 842-7337

Vice Mayor Michael Dever mdever@sunflower.com (785) 550-4909

Commissioner Hugh Carter hughcarter@sunflower.com (785) 764-3362

Commissioner Mike Amyx mikeamyx515@hotmail.com Home (785) 843-3089 Work (785) 842-9425

Commissioner Aron E. Cromwell aroncromwell@gmail.com (785) 749-6020

lawrencechick 1 year, 2 months ago

Final answer: Let KU do their own thing, go back to the $15 million rec center and put a new outdoor pool next to it.

jhawk1998 1 year, 2 months ago

No more spending by the city until they stop running off business. And I mean businesses that aren't asking for tax abatements. Whole Foods, Lowe's, come on fellow readers, chime in. Otherwise there is no potential of broadening the tax base while we are increasing the burden on the current taxpayers.

“I have done a lot of feasibility studies on that stuff,” Beckner said. “You have to be real serious to make it work. Every event out there is contested at this point, and by several groups. And there is not a lot of money in it to begin with. You have to have the hotel and restaurant space to make it work.”

SIGN PETITION HERE http://www.change.org/petitions/city-commission-city-of-lawrence-public-vote-on-the-public-financing-of-the-regional-rec-center

Is there a shortage of Gym space? Not exactly. Lawrence has a real population of 65,000-68,000 which excludes KU students. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/feb...

Commenting has been disabled for this item.