Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Douglas County prosecutor removed from cases for errors in trials

Comments

happyrearviewmirror 1 year, 2 months ago

In my experience, there seem to be a number of competence and integrity issues with the Douglas DA's Office as whole--- not only with Amy McGowan. Conflict-of-interest problems exist for one reason because KU is allowed to press charges without following internal grievance and disciplinary procedures first and because they seem to have local law enforcement in their pockets. The KU HR office and the KU staff lawyers are incredibly bad- faith and retaliatory bullies. Even though the police never questioned me I was falsely charged and the DA pressed charges for reasons stemming from being a repetitive street harassment victim in Douglas County and verbally defending myself. Much of the so-called "evidence" was a tissue of hateful lies constructed by Ola Faucher and her investigators. It's southern -justice to charge a harassment victim with the identical crime for legitimate complaints.

The charges were eventually dropped, but as a condition for this, the DA's office( James McCrabria and Katie B. were involved) in cahoots with a jerk of an appointed defense lawyer banned me from the State of Kansas. Of course, this is an illegal and underhanded method to conduct the law. The head DAs approved this BS. Even the so-called "professionals" are country bumpkins in Lawrence, KS--frightening incompetence and dishonesty. Thanks for the PTSD.

happyrearviewmirror 1 year, 2 months ago

In my experience, there seem to be a number of competence and integrity issues with the Douglas DA's Office as whole--- not only with Amy McGowan. Conflict-of-interest problems exist for one reason because KU is allowed to press charges without following internal grievance and disciplinary procedures first and because they seem to have local law enforcement in their pockets. The KU HR office and the KU staff lawyers are incredibly bad- faith and retaliatory bullies. Even though the police never questioned me I was falsely charged and the DA pressed charges for reasons stemming from being a repetitive street harassment victim in Douglas County and verbally defending myself. Much of the so-called "evidence" was a tissue of hateful lies constructed by Ola Faucher and her investigators. It's southern -justice to charge a harassment victim with the identical crime for legitimate complaints.

The charges were eventually dropped, but as a condition for this, the DA's office( James McCrabria and Katie B. were involved) in cahoots with a jerk of an appointed defense lawyer banned me from the State of Kansas. Of course, this is an illegal and underhanded method to conduct the law. The head DAs approved this BS. Even the so-called "professionals" are country bumpkins in Lawrence, KS--frighting incompetence and dishonesty. Thanks for the PTSD.

kimk 1 year, 2 months ago

Rumor has it that there are many, many more cases in the pipeline concerning Ms. McGowan's corrupt practices. If Branson doesn't get rid of her now, she will only continue to tarnish his reputation.

Lynn731 1 year, 2 months ago

This is really a shame. A prosecutor that believes in working hard to put criminals in prison where they belong, is faulted for telling the truth. Our "judicial" system is slanted toward the criminal, where are the victim's rights, if any? I don't know this lady, but I do read the articles and comments carefully. It sounds to me like she really cares about getting justice for the victims. The court won't let her say certain things as they might interfere with the criminal's rights, I say again, she was concerned with the victim's rights. I do not condone anyone breaking the court's rules, but some of these rules were changed in mid stream I understand. I do not know the district attorney either. I had one interaction with one of his assistants, as I went to court on a speeding ticket a number of years ago. If the assistant DA in my case was indicative of the rest of her counterparts, then the DA staffs his office with very good and caring people.

She is a convict and win at all costs type. Period. End of story. It's about time her dirty tactics caught up with her!

Bob Forer 1 year, 2 months ago

I do not practice law nor am I acquainted with Amy McGowan, so I don't know the answer to my question, but perhaps others do.

Is she the proverbial, vindictive, "convict and win at all costs" prosecutor, or does she have a sense of fairness and justice? Her actions in the reported cases indicates that she plays dirty, but then again, I am only giving my educated guess.

Anybody?

JamesRory 1 year, 2 months ago

Karma. Amy McGowan is unprofessional, rude, and acts ugly in trial. She is in it for the dramatics and not for the law, which is obvious by the comments she made in court. She is out to make a name for herself and picked sex crimes as her focus because she knows that is usually a guaranteed win and the public loves to see those defendants put away. We need a prosecutor who can put together a case, not act like they are on SVU. Good riddance.

Branson will face a tough reelection battle if he doesn't finish what he started and give McGowan the axe completely. When the Supreme Court starts calling you out by name that is a sure sign that it is time to go! Good riddance.

Bob Forer 1 year, 2 months ago

Obviously, there are some folks who disagree with the appellate Court rulings which prohibit prosecutors from using "truth" arguments in their closing statements to the jury. That is not the point. Once Ms. McGowan was made cognizant of that rule, like it or not, she should have removed such arguments from her repertoire Her continued refusal to heed the ruling of the State's highest court is a clear indictment of her professional ethics and her ability to seek justice. As a prosecutor, she is considered an "Officer of the Court" and has an obligation to uphold the highest standards of professionalism and justice. She is lucky she was not fired.

blindrabbit 1 year, 2 months ago

Several years ago I attended the Lawrence Police Citizens Academy, Ms. McGowan was also an attendee. Though most of the class was made up of ordinary citizens, several were employees of either the Lawrence Police, the Sheriff Department or the Office of the District Attorney. Only negative impression in the the class was the seemingly inattentive behavior of Ms. McGowan and another female employee of the D.A.'s Office. They had no interaction with rest of the class and played videogames on their handhelds during breaks. At the time, I felt these two were very immature, juvenile and unprofessional and could hardly understand how they could be a part of the D.A.'s Prosecurtorial Staff.. I know about first impressions, but was really put-off by the actions of these two.

Budgets_Smudgets 1 year, 2 months ago

Very unfortunate, and this may be an over-reaction by the DA in covering his butt. I would be curious to hear from attorneys who practice criminal law in this regard.

We obviously want our prosecutors to be zealous in their efforts. It really does require a special temperament and skill set, IMHO to work with these types of cases. Most of these defendants are people you want to hate, and in the course of making oral arguments, I could see how any person could slip up and say things just beyond the fuzzy-line.

I do not know Ms. Mcgowan, but I am sure the notoriety from her name appearing in the opinion is the more important professional and personal embarrassment to her.

The irony to me is that the elected DA, does not posses the requisite skill set for these types of prosecutions, and who is probably paid 3x her salary, imposes these sanctions. \

Am I wrong?

ShePrecedes 1 year, 2 months ago

Who was the judge? Why wasn't the judge mentioned in this article? Who were the judges?

So many times we have to vote for judges without knowing what they have said, what they have done. So many times, I don't even know who these judges are. I think it is time for us to take a good look at the behaviors of the judges. They are elected officials.

Does anyone know how we could find out the records and judicial histories of the judges in the Kansas Supreme Court?

http://www.kscourts.org/kansas-courts/supreme-court/justice-bios/default.asp

rainydaze 1 year, 2 months ago

A trail of incompetence. We could have predicted this one. Karma.

ShePrecedes 1 year, 2 months ago

Like everything else is this world, I search for the truth. In mainstream media, publishing lie after lie (now where are those WMDs again?), slant after slant, I have come to realize that the truth has a specific ring to it, a internal chime that tells me this is far more true than that, or an internal alarm bell that says tell me that we have flat out been lied to. I use this crap-detector daily in this era of deception and instant KNOWING, when lies and perception manipulations are a national pass-time.

I don't think the comment was inappropriate. Sometimes the evidence is skewed, some withheld, some inadmissable due to some strange slant to the case. So if I were a juror, I would most certainly be using my crap-detector (thank you, Prof. Conboy, for that one).

I am making note of who the judge was. And I encourage people to review this judge and the cases involved with this judge. This is an elected judge. I wanna know who is it.

irvan moore 1 year, 2 months ago

she is the best trial attorney we have, big mistake benching her

Sergeant 1 year, 2 months ago

Hardest working ADA in the district. Passionate and good at what she does. She finds the truth and then is told not to talk about it. What a shame. I hope she is back in the courtroom soon.

Tammy Copp-Barta 1 year, 2 months ago

So .. she's not allowed to ask for or comment on the truth? Interesting .. goes along with the rest of the screwed up court systems! Guess she should say "Heck with the truth" .. just check the box jail or no jail .. truth be damned!

cowboy 1 year, 2 months ago

she's a professional in a field of precise words , should have known better.

Hskrchad13 1 year, 2 months ago

This is a shame. Amy McGowan is doing the work that most people cannot do and doing it in an incredible fashion. All of us should go to bed at night thanking whatever god we believe in that there are people like Amy willing to work incredibly hard to make sure the monsters in our community cannot harm and abuse our children. The Supreme Court has been all over the place on comments prosecutors can and cannot make. Amy is a victim of inconsistency in the Court's decisions on prosecutorial misconduct. I have had the honor of watching Ms. Mcgowan in trial and she fights for those victims that cannot speak for themselves. I hope she is back in the courtroom soon. I for one will feel safer when she is back in the Courtroom protecting our children.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.