Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Farmer wants to highlight need for more jobs, technical education as part of City Commission campaign

Comments

Ginny Hedges 1 year, 10 months ago

Best of luck, Jeremy. We need some new blood in the City Commission and someone who cares about those who are in need of the basics of life.

Kent Fisher 1 year, 10 months ago

You are an asset to the community, and will serve us well as city commissioner. Your common sense and character will keep the others in check. Thanks for your service, Jeremy!

Anydaynow 1 year, 10 months ago

I do not know this gentleman, but seems like he is what ALL people in politics should be listening to and working to help our middle-class and lower. We all need jobs. Good for you speaking how you feel, Jeremy. Hope you make it.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

I've never met Mr. Farmer. Many here say he's a wonderful human being. I'll take them at their word. However, Mr. Farmer says he wants to expand employment opportunities here in Lawrence. Many of those who say they support Mr. Farmer in this forum are the same people who are opposed to just about every expansion of business here. Where will these new jobs come from, if not from allowing businesses to grow and flourish? If we want Lawrence to grow it's job base, we need an environment that encourages just that, not one that is hostile to every pro-business suggestion that is thrown out there.

Jeremy Farmer 1 year, 10 months ago

jhawkinsf:

I would agree with you that we need an environment that encourages our tax base to grow. I don't think people are inherently against bringing in jobs; they just wanted to know that they have an advocate working for them who understands why jobs are so vitally important. I bring a unique perspective to City Hall because of my work with the wonderful folks at Just Food.

jeremy

Jeremy Farmer Candidate for 2013 City Commission info@voteyourselfafarmer.com www.voteyourselfafarmer.com http://twitter.com/votefarmer http://facebook.com/voteyourselfafarmer

John Hamm 1 year, 10 months ago

Jobs! And not only white collar Executive positions. JOBS!

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe we need more growth from the bottom up for a change.

There has been a tradition at city hall for commissioners to spend all of their time proposing big spending projects and then pushing for taxes or bonds to pay for them. The return on investment is not always clear and the benefit to average citizens is even harder to evaluate.

Meanwhile, our average per capita income is not very good.

You wonder at times whether this town is just chasing its tail.

I am not ready to make a decision but Mr. Farmer as a candidate certainly has my attention. I would like to see more endorsements concerning his ideas and capability.

jayhawklawrence:

Please let me know what you would like from me in order to earn your vote. You can find more information about the campaign on my website or on facebook.

jeremy

Jeremy Farmer Candidate for 2013 City Commission info@voteyourselfafarmer.com www.voteyourselfafarmer.com http://twitter.com/votefarmer http://facebook.com/voteyourselfafarmer

Indeed I am! I moved back to Lawrence in July of 2011, and registered to vote for the 2012 primary and general elections.

UltimateGrownup 1 year, 10 months ago

In 2012, did you vote for President Obama or Governor Romney?

gatekeeper 1 year, 10 months ago

Why does that matter? If that will influence your vote for Jeremy, that's pretty sad. this race is about local issues, not national elections.

thinkagain 1 year, 10 months ago

Local issues have the most personal impact on an individual. The issues at each level of government are different impact. It is the reason why almost all local elections are not party affiliated. Who Mr. Farmer voted for is the least important question to ask and one I hope he will not answer. More individuals should educate themselves on how local government impacts their lives and vote accordingly. If that is actually done, I suspect that you, Ultimate Grownup (though not a Grownup who understands government) will find that you have rarely voted party specific.

Anydaynow 1 year, 10 months ago

UltimateGrownup, I have voted for many years and never asked who I voted for. I really don't think that has anything to do with what the man is trying to accomplish and he needs all the help he can get. I'm sure the going will be tough for him, but all the local support he can get will be helpful.

msezdsit 1 year, 10 months ago

Sounds like Mr Farmer is willing to represent the people who don't have deep pockets and that in itself is refreshing. However, I hope that doesn't leave him short on the campaign funds it will take to run a successful campaign. But, then again, he would probably be representing a lot of people so a good turnout should benefit Mr Farmer. Got my vote so far. Good Luck.

GessoGesso 1 year, 9 months ago

I have met the guy on several occasions and think he is full of it. I don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

Amy Heeter 1 year, 9 months ago

That's the truth. Beware of the man who breeches confidential conversations and embellished them with B S . He is no robin hood, in fact the exact opposite.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.