Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Douglas County prosecutor's comments lead court to vacate sentence

Comments

kimk 1 year, 10 months ago

Why is that Amy McGowan has not yet been fired? It is apparent that Amy has no respect for the law. If I was Charles Branson I would be embarrasses to have someone like Ms. McGowan as my employee. Come on Mr. Branson put on your Big Girl panties and do what needs to be done.

rtwngr 1 year, 10 months ago

I once heard a law professor state, "He who lies best, wins."

Bob Forer 1 year, 10 months ago

Apparently, Ms. McGowan did not learn from her past mistakes. She used the "truth" argument twice, and while the Court scolded her, they did not reverse the convictions. Looks like the third time around, the appellate court had had enough of her antics, and voted to reverse.

From this reader's perspective, Ms. McGowan is intellectually dishonest. Despite two separate warnings, she continued to use the same argument in a subsequent jury trial. There are a lot of dirty prosecutors out there. Apparently, there is one on Charles Branson's staff.

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 10 months ago

The appeals came years after the trials where the prosecutor used that language. It's not so much that the prosecutor persisted despite warnings, but that the appeals came in succession long after she made those statements. Ian LJW

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

Can the judge presiding when the statements are made strike any statements that he finds violates due process? Do they have to wait for the defense to say "objection".

I won't make judgments regarding the prosecutor, but if they have a record of having cases thrown out over such violations I imagine all the defense attorneys know, and scrutinize every word McGowan say's to use at the appeal.

It doesn't seem like a prosecutor with such a record would be cost-effective.

gccs14r 1 year, 10 months ago

From what I've read, she was no better over in Missouri. It'd be nice if someone would run against Branson (it's hard to vote him out when he runs unopposed) and clean house in the prosecutor's office. It's pretty clear that he is going to stick with McGowan no matter what.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 10 months ago

^^Liberty wrote: It doesn't seem like a prosecutor with such a record would be cost-effective.

---problem is, she works for Branson. she is only a symptom.

Nikonman 1 year, 10 months ago

The problem isn't Amy, it's the appeals judges. I have noticed they seem to side on the side of the defendent, the Creeps in other words. The objective of the trial should be to expose the truth. The Reasonable Doubt concept has outlived the intended purpose. Why are defense lawers afraid of the truth?

BlackVelvet 1 year, 10 months ago

Why are defense lawyers afraid of the truth? Because the truth will (usually) not set their clients free?

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

Several years ago I attended the Lawrence Police Citizens Academy, Ms. McGowan was also an attendee. Though most of the class was made up of ordinary citizens, several were employees of either the Lawrence Police, the Sheriff Department or the Office of the District Attorney. Only negative impression in the the class was the seemingly inattentive behavior of Ms. McGowan and another female employee of the D.A.'s Office. They had no interaction with rest of the class and played videogames on their handhelds during breaks. At the time, I felt these two were very immature, juvenile and unprofessional and could hardly understand how they could be a part of the D.A.'s Prosecurtorial Staff..

kimk 1 year, 10 months ago

You can say what you want about the "creeps" of the world. They may very well be horrible people. That doesn't give Ms. McGowan the right to disregard the rules of law. Every time she decides to make statements that are not allowed, does not turn over evidence, etc... She cost taxpayers money. If she had a strong enough case she should not have to do these things to get a guilty verdict. Instead of properly preparing her case she takes the easy way out and lies/cheats to get results. Unfortunately for us, every time she makes that choice we the taxpayers are the ones picking up the tab. Perhaps if she had to pick up the tab to retry/ resentence these individuals she would think twice about her duties as a prosecutor.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.