Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Some Republicans resisting Brownback’s tax plan

Comments

Mike1949 1 year, 6 months ago

if you eliminate the claim of interest on mortgages, isn't that a tax increase?

A rose is a rose by any other name!

Stuart Sweeney 1 year, 6 months ago

While we are at it let's take the charitable deduction and see if it sits as well with the conservative side. I take both deductions as well but wonder if they would enjoy it as much!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 6 months ago

Yep-- playing a denialist's game with the rules of addition and subtraction comes back to bite you pretty quickly.

vuduchyld 1 year, 6 months ago

It's truly frightening when Brownback has to try to act as a moderating influence on the ALEC-inspired, hair-on-fire, wacko tea baggers that much of our sent to the Capitol.

They aren't interested in a glide path to zero, but rather a crash path.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

Brownback does not care who is against the ALEC agenda. He is there to move it forward no matter if republicans agree with him or not.

IF the greater majority of the Kansas legislation voted his plan down he will simply exercise his executive privilege and say to hell with all who disagree with him.

The fact of the matter all Kansas Congressional members are on the ALEC bandwagon. And have been for several years.

Greg Cooper 1 year, 6 months ago

Merrill, you have a good heart, and I generally agree with your sentiments. However, you are way off base with your last paragraph.

I suggest you be a little less sweeping in your generalizations. for instance, I suggest Tom Holland would take great umbrage at being called an "ALECian", as would many more moderate (yes, there are still moderate) Republicans of the old school, and most Democrats of any school.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

"Some Republicans are sticking with Brownback for now because they support his long-term goal of phasing out individual income taxes."

No Sen. Larry Powell YOU don't ruin Kansas simply because you want no individual income taxes. You were not elected to blindly support a governor..... have YOU no self respect?

Andrew Dufour 1 year, 6 months ago

So, given the time frame Brownback is looking at here I think he's being quite shrewd with this policy. He has one term left and is up for reelection next year. He wants to create budget surpluses to run on in the short term for his election in 2014 (i.e. the deduction limits) then be on the way out when the deficits hit.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 6 months ago

"Some Republican lawmakers worried about getting tagged as tax increasers only a year after the state enacted massive income tax reductions to stimulate the economy."

I find that interesting.

That massive economic growth that Brownback was talking about to end the "lost decade" better happen soon...

I imagine Christ will have returned long before we see that happening.

hujiko 1 year, 6 months ago

"Brownback is pitching his package as a five-year plan to position Kansas for phasing out individual income taxes."

Remember the last government to implement five-year plans? No, I'm sure Brownback doesn't either.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 6 months ago

Interesting news article and discussion about the "glide path to zero" strategy going on here: http://www.npr.org/2013/02/15/171822472/in-kansas-a-glide-path-to-no-income-taxes-will-it-work

Commenting has been disabled for this item.