Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Notebook: Jeff Withey says morale 'pretty low'

Comments

irtnog2001 1 year, 2 months ago

I think Bills' public criticism of certain player(s) backfired and when he tried to retract it the damage had already been done. That said he is too good a coach not to bring the team out of this funk.

grammaddy 1 year, 2 months ago

Stay out of the bars and get in the gym. No more Sunday Funday until we win a few. Put 'em on lockdown Bill.

Kent Richardson 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't feel any better after reading the posts.

jayhawkjohn71 1 year, 2 months ago

When you move a shooting guard to pt. guard what happens? A disaster is what happens!. The pt. guard is the glue to the offense and for the first time in the Self era we do not have one. Johnson is in way over his head with turnovers galore and missed shots galore. I feel sorry for him.

colreader 1 year, 2 months ago

TCU game replay today - Thurs - noon on ESPNU

3up3down 1 year, 2 months ago

Bottom line, EJ is not a point guard and it is showing. Thrusting him in that position is not fair to him. No natural point guard = no leadership. Ben needs to shed the poor underclassman stigma and take control and lead this team. The seniors are not ready to lead, that has been evident this year.

Number_1_Grandma 1 year, 2 months ago

Coach Self has to be questioning his coaching abilities as well. ( Or should be )

Better get back to basics here and quick. They don't block out at all. Ball goes up they all stand around watching instead of finding a player to put a body on. Don't get pushed under the basket. Go after the ball AFTER they all block somebody out.

Offense is terrible! Work on some new set offenses. Work on coming off of screens. Drive your man towards our screens instead of having our offensive guy move to screen and get called for offensive foul. Way to many of these.

Practice shooting...everybody! Shoot from all points on the floor. Learn where your limitation ( range ) is. Get confident in your shot before heading into the locker room.

Coach, play other players more. They can't do any worse than the 5 you have been playing, starting. Change the lineup more than just Ellis. Traylor has more game than Ellis does and much stronger. He just needs playing time and play smarter. Ellis is used to being the stud in HS and he's not ready for college toughness. He's soft.

Turnovers are killing us, period. Slow the game down and play under control. Run when you got the numbers in your favor. Don't have them then pull it out and run the offense. Look inside where Withey and Young should be sealing off their men for good passing angle. If not there, swing the ball and it should be open then. Still not there, don't force it. Look for outside shot as the clock is running down. But you have to have shooters, players in the game who are confident and right now you don't have that 5 on the court, coach.

msezdsit 1 year, 2 months ago

Well folks, some things are broken with our beloved basketball team. No energy, no chemistry, and no solutions. Usually bill will fix this stuff but he had no solutions during the game. Can you say "trouble" is brewing in Lawrence. When you lose to TCU, it means any team put on the floor would beat you and that generally says you beat yourself. You gotta love Johnson, but he is really hurting us right now. I think it is safe to say that the team will not get through this till Johnson does. I think we are going to see what Elijah is made of real soon. I feel sorry for him because he is a super super kid and things are just not working out for him right now. Games at this time of the year are easily forgotten but this one won't be.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.