Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On For many in Lawrence, cutting Saturday mail delivery poses no problem

Comments

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 10 months ago

One less trip a week half a block to my mailbox.

George_Braziller 1 year, 10 months ago

I'd love to just have a consistent letter carrier on our route again and somewhat regular delivery times. For the last year it's been "mailman of the day" and delivery is anywhere from 9 a.m. to 5 or 6 p.m.

Oh, just stupid things like checks that need to be deposited.

GUMnNUTS 1 year, 10 months ago

How late is your bank open on Saturday?

Jason Johnson 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah we get to play the weekly neighborhood "mail swap" since our carrier(s) can't seem to read.

deec 1 year, 10 months ago

The post office has what are essentially internal temps who receive less pay and little or no benefits. These folks work many different routes and are being increasingly used to replace career employees. They infrequently work routes so they don't have them memorized like permanent employees would. Lower-quality service is a direct result of the cost-cutting measures. The post office has eliminated at least 110,000 jobs since 2007, but the number of addresses has stayed the same or possibly increased with growth in suburbs.

I live three blocks from the main post office. When I know I have a package coming I track it on-line and walk there myself to pick it up rather than rely on delivery.

One carrier delivered an order to an address two blocks away and when I asked him were it was he said "I don't know." The only way I was ever able to find it was because it was delivered to someone who knew me and contacted me to let me know he had it.

Last March I went through a period where I didn't receive any mail at all for days at a time. I ended up being charged late fees on bills I didn't pay only because I never received them.

Can't pay a vet bill that's never delivered.

Can't pay it if you don't know you have one. You don't know the situation as to why the vet was going to send me a bill rather than have me pay that day.

deec 1 year, 10 months ago

I bet that is really aggravating.. Your situation reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2BfupSjWE

I filed a complaint with the postmaster about the crappy delivery. That letter carrier was gone a couple of weeks later and we've never had a regular one since.

pace 1 year, 10 months ago

I THINK ALL CORPORATIONS and all government agencies should have to prepay and reserve their employees retirement funds

Commenting has been disabled for this item.