Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Lawsuit filed against railroad in 2011 death of Lecompton man

Comments

SouthWestKs 1 year, 2 months ago

Based on ice, I will say it again, speed was the cause of this accident. Ice normal means that you have to drive alot slower.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

yes, Ducky, that is about electromagnets of which I am talking.

thanks for the insight on this crossing.

indeed, None2 is right, this crossing has probably been there since Adam knew Eve. so now suddenly we need all this intervention.

I've always toyed with a Sci/fi sort of thought: what if locomotives were equipped with a high intensity repellent magnetic field emitter the engineer could kick on just before impact with a vehicle on the tracks. seems cheaper than all these signs/lights/clangsters all over creation. and seems there is or could be enough electricity available.

juma 1 year, 2 months ago

I feel very sorry for the family. There is ONLY one place on the planet where a train will hit you; on the railroad tracks!! I tell my family to always, always stop, look. listen.

SouthWestKs 1 year, 2 months ago

Looks to me like speed was the reason for the accident. You only get lights & crossing arms at a crossing if you can get the KDOT & the railroad to agree. Again looks like speed was the cause.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 2 months ago

I sympathize with the family for their loss. Warning lights and arms would not keep a vehicle from sliding on ice and/or snow, however. The cost of warning lights prohibit the railroad from putting them at every train crossing on their tracks. It is sad that whenever there is an accident of any kind, we always look to make someone besides ourselves responsible and sue someone. An accident is an accident, warning arms would not stop a vehicle from sliding right through the crossing in adverse weather conditions, especially if they were driving too fast for road conditions.

Authorities said icy and snowpacked conditions contributed to the crash, and the train’s engineer and conductor said the pickup was unable to stop at the crossing and slid in front of the train.

The lawsuit alleges negligence on the part of BNSF, such as failure to put flashing lights at the intersection and a failure by railroad conductors to give a proper noise warnings as they approached the intersection.

---okay, noise warnings from trains, signal lights, and even clanging bells installed at crossing don't fix ice that prevents a vehicle from stopping.

is this intersection a problem in nonice conditions?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.