Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On U.S. Postal Service to cut Saturday mail delivery to trim costs

Comments

Laurie L Folsom 1 year, 2 months ago

Fed Ex, UPS and DHL could care less about privatizing the USPS.

Currently all three private companies drop off packages that are not profitable for them to delivery at...wait for it...the closest Post Office. It is USPS carriers that deliver the private companies' packages to some of the most remote (not profitable) locations. Remote can be defined by these companies as further than 20 miles of their next stop.

I hear complaints about the price of stamps increasing, but what will happen to prices if private companies are the only ones to offer flat mail delivery? For pennies I can guarantee a letter will arrive 100s of miles from me within days. This is only possible because of the scale of an organization like the US Postal Service.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 2 months ago

Too little too late I'm afraid. This is nothing but a money pit of union pensions and benefits. It's time to privatize the Postal Service and get rid of the unions that have destroyed the middle class in this country.

midwest_muser 1 year, 2 months ago

Close half the post offices. Cut mail to Monday Wed, Fri...Lay off half the employees. Then we've got a viable entity.

junkremovalsandiego 1 year, 2 months ago

This is should have been done years ago. The is a good step for our government to start treating bad programs like businesses instead of money pits. embrace change instead of holding on to old ways.

deec 1 year, 2 months ago

The post office has been planning to privatize since at least 2002. The health benefits law is designed to bankrupt the post office to facilitate its privatization. The overpaid benefit funds are held in government bonds to camouflage part of the deficit, just as social security funds are being used. Of course the GOP wants to bankrupt the post office so they can turn it over to their corporate masters at fire sale prices.

"At the other end of the spectrum of options is the possibility of complete transformation of the Postal Service into a shareholder-owned, value-maximizing company. In addition to giving Postal Service managers a full range of private sector managerial tools, this model would place Postal Service managers under the supervision of a Board of Directors representing “residual claimants” (private shareholders) who have “real money” at stake."

http://www.jcampbell.com/Reference/us/200204_usps_transform.pdf

http://www.savethepostoffice.com/

Gandalf 1 year, 2 months ago

Does anyone (other than junk mailers) actually care?

thebigspoon 1 year, 2 months ago

My Dad was a rural carrier here and passed away in 1971. There was talk of this when he was a carrier so this isn't something the Post Office just came up with. One of the reasons it hasn't happened sooner is the Letter Carriers Union...

jafs 1 year, 2 months ago

Something I read said that the feds are actually using that money that's supposed to go for future retiree benefits for other spending as well.

The way the federal government has operated re: the post office is shameful.

No tax money is allowed to go towards it, but it's under government control? Requiring ridiculous amounts of pre-funded retiree benefits that are then spent on other things?

Requiring them to continue to operate in such a way so that they can't possibly break even?

One might think they're trying to kill it off, huh?

Fob 1 year, 2 months ago

Eliminate the Postal Clause since the postal business does not make the government any money.

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree that the GOP wants to kill the postal service and hand it over to private companies, but they didn't ask anyone if they actually want it. To my knowledge, no private company wants the headache of daily residential delivery and pickup. Certainly no private company wants that responsibility for the chance to earn a measly 45 cents.

The Postal Service was efficient and profitable until this pre-funded healthcare mandate.

Karl_Hungus 1 year, 2 months ago

http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/In-The-States/How-Republicans-Crippled-the-United-States-Postal-Service

I know many posters don't like fact as they are yucky, gross and just plain confusing to them but here ya go. Neocons, you might as well just skip the link and spend that time trying to find a way to blame this on the black man that the rest of us call President

deec 1 year, 2 months ago

The future retirement costs extend out 75 years. The post office is being required to pre-fund health benefits for employees who are not yet born. This GOP-backed legislation is clearly meant to destroy the unions and render the post office vulnerable to privatization.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.